Primary Care is part of a vibrant and growing health care system, recognized as a trailblazer in medicine and a standard bearer in patient experience. It includes an award-winning academic medical center, a superb constellation of community hospitals, home care services, rehabilitation facilities and more.
We are committed to attracting, developing and retaining top talent in a market long recognized and revered as a global leader in health. With a team approach to care, we encourage learning and growth at all levels, and we offer competitive salaries and benefits. We adhere to the principles of a just and fair work environment for all colleagues, where respect is foundational and performance is rewarded.
About the Job
Position Summary: Under general supervision of the Director, assigned manager or designee, and in collaboration with physicians and other care providers, provides secretarial and administrative support to one or more individuals in a clinical environment. Utilizes specific knowledge of medical terminology.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities including but not limited to:
- General Medical Office Functions:
- Maintains physician and midlevel clinic schedules on a daily/weekly/monthly basis.
- Processes and monitors Provider time away and ensures that the information is captured in all required systems.
- Answers a high volume of telephone calls in a professional manner and takes responsibility for appropriate dispositions and follow through on all phone calls. Accurately identifies those patients requiring immediate attention and relays this information to the appropriate personnel.
- Utilizes Lahey Health electronic systems in order to record thorough, and complete phone messages.
- Electronically facilitates patient prescriptions including new, refills, faxes, and prescription preauthorization’s.
- Uses electronic systems to enter provider orders and retrieve test results.
- Facilitates collection of outside medical records and x rays for Lahey patients and indexes paperwork for scanning process.
- Processes forms required for insurance approvals for scheduled procedures, office visits, or tests.
- Transcribes a variety of documents including correspondence, memos, and department/staff meeting minutes. Proofreads all documents for accuracy and completeness.
- In surgical departments uses electronic OR scheduling systems to view and print schedules. Monitors and track physician progress electronically.
- Maintains provider correspondence, reports, and statistics.
- Makes physician travel arrangements as needed.
- Maintains physician curriculum vitae, bibliography and Continuing Medical Education (CME).
- Screens, sorts and distributes mail.
- Operates office equipment including (but not limited to) a personal computer, Internet, voice mail, e-mail, paging systems, copy machine, transcription equipment and fax.
- Assists in establishing a new physician’s practice, ordering business cards, office supplies etc.
- Works with provider and/or other care provider to provide access to patients and facilitate “work in” appointments as required.
- Schedules patients for tests and consultations as directed by the provider or other care provider.
- Communicates information to patients regarding requirements for appointments and test preparation, as needed.
- Uses clinic-wide scheduling system for updating demographic and insurance information to ensure timely and accurate billing.
- Processes any physician or other care provider ‘bump lists’, according to protocol ensuring all patients are provided and notified of the new appointment.
3) Organizational Requirements:
- Maintains strict adherence to the Lahey Clinic Confidentiality Policy.
- Incorporates Lahey Clinic Guiding Principles, Mission Statement and Goals into daily activities.
- Complies with all Lahey Clinic Policies.
- Complies with behavioral expectations of the department and Lahey Clinic.
- Maintains courteous and effective interactions with colleagues and patients.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the job description, performance expectations, and competency assessment.
- Demonstrates a commitment toward meeting and exceeding the needs of our customers and consistently adheres to Customer Service standards.
- Participates in departmental and/or interdepartmental quality improvement activities.
- Participates in and successfully completes Mandatory Education.
- Performs all other duties as needed or directed to meet the needs of the department.
Education: High school diploma or equivalent.
Licensure, Certification, Registration: None required.
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities:
Knowledge of Medical terminology.
Proficient in standard office procedures and operation of business machines, (personal computer, fax, telephone, dictaphone, others as appropriate).
Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills; organizational skills and attention to detail.
Experience: 1 year related office and/or medical office experience.
DAYS / 40 HOURS / BURLINGTON, MA
The Lahey Model of Care—right care, right time, right place—is exactly what patients, providers and payers need and deserve. Identifying and delivering on this convergence of interests has positioned Lahey Health for further growth. Our model ensures care is highly coordinated and locally delivered, with lower costs and exceptional quality.
Lahey Health is a robust, regional system including a teaching hospital, community hospitals, primary care providers, specialists, behavioral and home health services, skilled nursing and rehabilitation facilities, and senior care resources throughout northeastern Massachusetts and southern New Hampshire. The system has a global presence with programs in Canada, Jordan and Bermuda.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.