Winchester Hospital is a leading community hospital north of Boston. The hospital offers a full range of medical services including maternity care and a Level IIB Special Care Nursery. Since 1912, Winchester Hospital has been a trusted pillar of the community and is recognized for outstanding quality and high satisfaction scores. In 2003, we became the first community hospital in Massachusetts to achieve Magnet status - the industry’s gold standard for nursing excellence. We were re-accredited for the 4th time in 2018. Our mission To Care. To Heal. To Excel. In Service to Our Community is achieved through streamlined, coordinated and comprehensive high-quality, compassionate care close to home.
About the Job
Winchester Hospital is currently seeking a Per Diem Physician Assistant to join their exciting OR team. Masters degree in Physician Studies required.
- Under the direct supervision and direction of the specialist physician, provides assistance to the physician and/or anesthesiologist until the conclusion of the procedure. These functions include but are not limited to, performing intraoperatively using instruments and medical devices, providing surgical site exposure, handling and/or cutting tissue, providing hemostasis, and tissue and skin suturing and stapling. Demonstrates a thorough working knowledge of aseptic technique and its applications. Demonstrates knowledge of physiological, pathophysiological and anatomical aspects of the procedures assigned.
- Demonstrates purposeful rounding in the delivery of patient care.
- Performs direct patient care including but not limited to wound management, debridement, suture and staple removal, and placement of tubes and catheters.
- Collaborates with the multidisciplinary team and writes orders, prescriptions, and progress notes. Dictates history of physicals and discharge summaries.
- Establishes a therapeutic relationship with the patient, the patient's family and significant others by involving them in each step of the process and accommodates factors that may influence the provision of care.
- Assesses the patient using methods such as observation, interview, examination, and review of clinical data.
- Participates in huddles, safety rounds, debriefs and briefs.
- Employs clinical decision making guided by clinical knowledge base, represented by generally accepted community medical standards, recent medical journals, and/or textbooks of medical standards, recent medical journals, and/or textbooks of medicine and surgery.
- Provides high quality and safe patient care by identifying the specific needs of the patient, developing the plan of care with the patient to answer these needs, then implementing and evaluating the effects of that plan.
- Utilizes critical thinking skills to coordinate and direct the healthcare team in the implementation of the patient’s plan of care to ensure the best possible outcomes and patient/family experience.
- Ensuring the patient’s physical, emotional, cultural, and spiritual needs are met.
- Educates and informs patients and family members to promote desired outcomes.
- Utilizes the results of evidence-based research to improve clinical outcomes.
- Triages, stabilizes and facilitates patient for transport to appropriate level of care.
- Functions effectively in patient crisis situations and utilizes emergency resources.
- Minimizes preventable harm events and consistently executes the infection control protocols. Incorporates the Culture of Safety tools in daily practice, adhering to quality and safety guidelines and communicating near-miss or potential risks.
- Communicates effectively with the healthcare team utilizing established handoff procedures to share pertinent patient assessment data and plan of care issues. Gives and accepts respectful feedback to enhance teamwork.
- Performs all required documentation and reporting accurately, legibly and timely according to Joint Commission standards. Submits accurate and timely documentation for chargeable services performed.
- Appropriately follows the chain of command and adheres to hospital policies and procedures.
- Maintains a clean and safe work environment to enhance patient satisfaction and a culture of safety. Provides a safe environment for the patient during the perioperative period. Creates and maintains a sterile field when appropriate.
- Responds to supply/equipment issues in a timely manner to ensure availability of equipment and to maximize its useful life. Provides equipment and supplies based on patient needs.
- Provides input and recommendation for preparation and implementation of safe and cost effective patient care.
- May act as a trainer and supervisor to medical students, physician assistant students, and nurse practitioner students completing practicum’s at Winchester Hospital.
- Provides on-going performance feedback and education to the students to build on their classroom education and mentor them towards successful completion of the practicum.
- Maintains required paperwork and records of the program and each student in accordance with college standards.
- Share performance feedback on students as appropriate.
- Maintains competence and proficiency in CPN and any other electronic documentation used by the hospital. Consistently uses these modalities as requested.