Location: Woburn, MA
Job ID: 155564-1A
Date Posted: Jun 6, 2019
Lahey Health Shared Services is part of a vibrant and growing health care system, recognized as a trailblazer in medicine and a standard bearer in patient experience. It includes an award-winning academic medical center, a superb constellation of community hospitals, home care services, rehabilitation facilities and more.
We are committed to attracting, developing and retaining top talent in a market long recognized and revered as a global leader in health. With a team approach to care, we encourage learning and growth at all levels, and we offer competitive salaries and benefits. We adhere to the principles of a just and fair work environment for all colleagues, where respect is foundational and performance is rewarded.
About the Job
The Manager, Professional and Hospital Billing Applications will be a pivotal player in delivering Lahey Health’s next-generation EHR system. The Manager, Professional and Hospital Billing Applications will collaborate as a member of the Program Leadership Team to effectively manage the EHR program. The Manager, Professional and Hospital Billing Applications ensures the Revenue program is on the right path and has the visibility it requires. This individual will guide the Revenue project team through the life cycle of changes needed to maintain an EHR and is the central point of communication for the Revenue Program. The Manager, Professional and Hospital Billing Applications is accountable and responsible for ensuring success of the Revenue program.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities including but not limited to:
1. Provides the Epic EHR Department with operational management and oversight for assigned areas and staff:
a) Manages departmental staff and workflow. Addresses performance issues, counsels’ colleagues. Makes recommendations and decisions regarding promotions, demotions, raises, performance appraisals, training, hiring, transferring and termination. Collaborates with Human Resources as appropriate. Participates in workforce management, hiring, interviewing and selection process. Monitors performance of staff. Mentors and empowers staff. Manages daily workflow.
b) Works closely with other EHR Team Managers and Leads to create a working environment that ensures success at all levels within the Department.
c) Supports the Revenue Director as it relates to improving organizational structure, roles, responsibilities, staffing and the administration of the Department.
d) Support and manage assigned colleagues per defined departmental and organizational policies and procedures.
e) Provides integrated focus and direction to colleagues based upon the assignment of clearly defined tasks, due dates and deliverable / outcome expectations.
f) Defines performance expectations and provide consistent feedback on an ongoing basis.
g) Develops staff and resources to ensure high performance and service delivery excellence.
h) Provides training and development support as required or requested.
i) Treats all colleagues with respect and dignity.
j) Participates in the budget process and operates within budget, promoting departmental efficiency.
k) Assists Revenue Director with the definition and review of departmental goals, standards and performance measures to ensure alignment with the strategic direction of the department and Lahey Health and the accomplishment of the highest levels of job satisfaction, quality output and customer service.
l) Leads and participates in quality improvement initiatives.
m) Develops, updates, implements, and enforces departmental policies.
n) Collaborates with leaders, staff and departments across the organization in support of organizational goals.
o) Helps foster change.
p) Leads or participates on committees and groups.
q) Participates in and provides input into departmental scheduling, insuring adequate staffing. May manage schedule as assigned.
r) Supports Lahey Health EHR Goals and Guiding Principles.
2. Utilizing the standards, processes and tools defined for use by the Program Management Office (PMO), manage the implementation, maintenance and upgrade of the applications, products and systems that comprise the Ancillary E H R.
a. Under the direction of the Revenue Director and the Program Management Office (PMO), assist in defining and developing the project and staffing plans, budgets and deliverables required to support the business and clinical goals and initiatives of the projects approved by the Lahey Executive / Management teams.
b. Effectively communicate project expectations to team members and stakeholders in a timely and clear fashion.
c. Ensure timely execution and expectation / outcome achievement for each workplan task and deliverable.
d. Track and routinely communicate the status of project milestones and key deliverables to the Revenue Director, PMO, appropriate project team members, leadership and governance.
i. Promptly notify leadership of requests, delays, impediments, risks and issues that impact project goals, objectives, scope, schedule, budget, etc. soliciting input, change
approval and / or assistance or direction as required. Provide impact assessment and recommended actions as required to facilitate decisions.
ii. Promptly modify plans to assimilate changes in scope, schedule, etc. as approved /directed.
iii. Communicate / review changes with appropriate project teams as required ensuring clarity and project, task and / or deliverable re-synchronization
e. Routinely obtain work / project status reports from all contract consultants, project leads and key project and vendor staff as required. Analyze time spent in relation to work assigned / expectations and promptly address discrepancies or issues as required.
3. Facilitates Electronic Health Record (E H R) transformation, utilization and optimization:
a. Work within defined committees, advisory groups and teams to identify improvement opportunities that exploit existing investments in technologies, systems devices and tools.
i. Create ad-hoc multi-disciplinary teams to address improvement opportunities as required.
b. Works with the appropriate Information Systems (IS) or Clinical Informatics areas to create plans that address / resolve issues as required.
4. Oversees and manages all Revenue E H R systems, products and applications ensuring that their designs, content and definitions integrate to support our providers, clinicians, nurses and support staff to achieve the defined clinical workflow, process and performance goals (safety, quality, compliance, productivity and financial, etc) and outcome expectations and objectives of our organization.
a. Reviews and approves all content change requests, designs and requirements.
i. Ensure requests originate per approved sources.
ii. Ensure compliance with internal and external agency (TJC, CMS, etc.) clinical standards, policies, procedures, guidelines, protocols, requirements, etc.
iii. Participate as required or requested in the review of audit results, root cause analyses, etc. and recommendations.
iv. Ensure consistency with existing systems content definition, product design / style guidelines, etc.
v. Ensure all decisions and changes are logged, tracked, designed, communicated and implemented in concert with affected areas, constituencies and teams. Maintain and support a vigorous content and environment (development, test, Works directly with IS to coordinate technical activities as required including:
vi. Interfaces, e-data exchange and interoperability
vii. Timing / application of hot fixes, bug fixes, upgrades, loads / unloads, copies / restores downtime, etc.
viii. train, production change control process.
5. Ensures that the data capture and data production of the E H R facilitates the goals and requirements of our organization’s Quality, Compliance, Analytics and Decision Support teams.
a. Align application configurations and designs with system goals and indicators, ICD10 key clinical quality indicators (e.g. making sure online orders, clinical documentation and system alerts enable the capture and reporting of core defined measures)
6. Facilitates the design and use of any technical tools, add-ons, etc. that enhance the use or interoperability of the Revenue E H R and its users.
a. Review all designs to ensure they are consistent with clinical requirements and goals
b. Monitor development inventory, address backlogs, etc.
7. Facilitates the integration and use of new technologies and devices within the E H R.
a. Work with IS and the appropriate teams and areas as requested or required to ensure, prior to acquisition, that new technologies and devices are compatible with existing systems and application designs. Once selected, ensure that the use and deployment of new devices and technologies are integrated and aligned with product designs definitions and clinical workflow and practice.
8. Participates as required or requested in the selection of new or replacement clinical systems, products or applications. Maintain an up-to-date catalog of existing clinical systems, application and / or functional limitations or inadequacies that need to be known by the organization and part of our periodic clinical leadership review for incorporation into our ‘next state’ strategic planning
9. Works closely with the Testing Team to ensure content additions, changes, bug fixes, upgrades, etc. work as designed within integrated workflows.
10. Allocate Analyst staff as required to support test script development and build, test execution and issue resolution
11. Works closely with the Training Manager and training team to ensure that workflow and content additions, changes, upgrades, etc. are communicated and incorporated in advance of deployment into the training program and related materials.
12. Works closely with the Client Support Manager and help desk support team to ensure that workflow and content additions, changes, upgrades, etc. are communicated prior to implementation to ensure knowledge transfer in preparation for supporting new functionality.
13. Plan, communicate, lead and coordinate the implementation and use of new content, designs, upgrades, functions, features, products etc. with all affected areas and users in advance of production deployment
The Lahey Model of Care—right care, right time, right place—is exactly what patients, providers and payers need and deserve. Identifying and delivering on this convergence of interests has positioned Lahey Health for further growth. Our model ensures care is highly coordinated and locally delivered, with lower costs and exceptional quality.
Lahey Health is a robust, regional system including a teaching hospital, community hospitals, primary care providers, specialists, behavioral and home health services, skilled nursing and rehabilitation facilities, and senior care resources throughout northeastern Massachusetts and southern New Hampshire. The system has a global presence with programs in Canada, Jordan and Bermuda.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.