Lahey Health Shared Services is part of a vibrant and growing health care system, recognized as a trailblazer in medicine and a standard bearer in patient experience. It includes an award-winning academic medical center, a superb constellation of community hospitals, home care services, rehabilitation facilities and more.
We are committed to attracting, developing and retaining top talent in a market long recognized and revered as a global leader in health. With a team approach to care, we encourage learning and growth at all levels, and we offer competitive salaries and benefits. We adhere to the principles of a just and fair work environment for all colleagues, where respect is foundational and performance is rewarded.
About the Job
The Supply Chain OR Buyer is an integral member of the health care team. This position is responsible for the coordination and delivery of services that include the issuing, control, put away and distribution of inventory supplies and materials for Surgical Services. Required to maintain and monitor inventory by creating requisitions and purchase orders through Peoplesoft or other Supply Chain systems assuring accurate inventory levels are met in a timely fashion. The Supply Chain OR buyer must possess strong interpersonal, analytical and technical skills in order to effectively communicate with Suppliers, Management, and OR Clinical Leadership. Performs all other duties as assigned according to the objectives of the Supply Chain organization and Lahey Health.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities including but not limited to:
- Processes purchase requisitions and Initiate Purchase Orders to Suppliers.
- Communicates with departments about replacements, supply chain issues and delays, helping to establish reasonable delivery expectations.
- Recommends par levels based on prior practices and expected delivery and supply issues. Assesses short and long term trends in supply and demand to adjust ordering practices and recommended par levels.
- Utilizing a non-clinical comprehension of the hospital supplies collaborates with various departments and physicians to find the best alternatives for meeting the hospital’s supply needs.
- Researches and assesses supply chain timelines and cost issues when considering replacements/new supply chain alternatives. Uses reasonable discretion to make decisions based on the analysis or, when appropriate, utilizes the analysis to bring recommendations to the Manager of Materials Management.
- Responds promptly to urgent supply requests, researching alternatives by seeking alternative vendors or arrangements and/or discussing substitutions with end user/manager.
- Documents ordering procedures. Trains department leaders and designated supply orders on purchasing policies and procedures.
- Fields questions understanding that departments, co-workers and physicians are the customer, addressing their issues courteously and promptly.
- Controls Hospital costs.
- Audits invoices, verifying received quantities against delivery receipts and accurate pricing. Addresses variances with vendors
- Processes invoices, attempting to comply with the terms of payment requested/required by vendors, as our ability and willingness to fulfill our commitments impacts the organization’s credit score and good will in the community.
- Collaborates with departments and accounts payable to try to streamline the process and to capitalize on discount opportunities.
- Processes returns and monitors the receipt of credits.
- Brings cost saving and other vendor-related opportunities to the Manager of Materials Management’s attention, communicating the feasibility of the opportunity and recommendation
- Provides comprehensive and accurate documentation to Finance to ensure accounting of supplies are charged accurately and appropriately.
- Collaborates with department leaders on cost containment initiatives
- OR Inventory Management
- Performs Cycle Counts, Issues, Returns and Adjusts quantities, Update Par Levels and locations, Add and Delete Inventory items, Transport stock between locations
- Obtain Specialty and Loaner Items, Review OR schedules to identify cases requiring non-stock supplies, Coordinate delivery with sales reps and OR staff, Respond to Physician and/or Service Leader requests
- Maintain Patient Chargeable Item Information, Identify chargeable items and obtain charge codes from Patient Accounts, Respond to billers requests for item pricing when not in system
- Maintain Implant Records, Issue Purchase Orders for consigned implants maintaining file of case sheets within Supply Chain office
- Respond to Immediate OR requests for supplies utilizing various resources including sales reps, other hospitals, couriers in order to obtain what is needed for current or emergent cases
- Put away OR stock and manage daily transactions to insure for accurate inventory levels
- Lead annual fiscal year end OR inventory
- Maintains collaborative relationships with supply vendors and manufacturing representatives. Acts as a liaison to investigate and comprehend options and supply chain issues.
- Participates in department and hospital-wide performance improvement initiatives intended to improve the efficiency and/or to reduce the cost of the supply process. Makes recommendations through the chain of command to address opportunities for streamlining processes and cost containment.
- Incorporates Lahey Clinic Guiding Principles , Mission Statement and Goals into daily activities.
- Complies with all Lahey Clinic Policies.
- Complies with behavioral expectations of the department and Lahey Clinic.
- Maintains courteous and effective interactions with colleagues and patients.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the job description, performance expectations, and competency assessment.
- Demonstrates a commitment toward meeting and exceeding the needs of our customers and consistently adheres to Customer Service standards.
- Participates in departmental and/or interdepartmental quality improvement activities.
- Participates in and successfully completes Mandatory Education.
- Keep abreast of developments in the field and/or licensure through continuing education, participation in professional organizations or a combination of both
- Performs all other duties as needed or directed to meet the needs of the department.
- High School diploma or G.E.D. Bachelor’s degree preferred.
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities:
- Strong Microsoft Office skills, especially Excel
- The ability to communicate issues clearly and concisely, expressing needs and priorities in a professional manner
- Strong analytical skills to be able to reason through situations to determine the best course of action given the circumstances
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to work with limited supervision, set and adjust priorities
- For safety and quality reasons, must be able to read, write and communicate effectively in English with patients, visitors and fellow members of the hospital team
- Competency in material management and/or purchasing application software preferred
- Accounting/reconciliation skills preferred
- Experience with Inventory Management and Peoplesoft
- At least four (4) years administrative or materials management experience.
- Purchasing or materials management experience in a Hospital setting preferred.
The Lahey Model of Care—right care, right time, right place—is exactly what patients, providers and payers need and deserve. Identifying and delivering on this convergence of interests has positioned Lahey Health for further growth. Our model ensures care is highly coordinated and locally delivered, with lower costs and exceptional quality.
Lahey Health is a robust, regional system including a teaching hospital, community hospitals, primary care providers, specialists, behavioral and home health services, skilled nursing and rehabilitation facilities, and senior care resources throughout northeastern Massachusetts and southern New Hampshire. The system has a global presence with programs in Canada, Jordan and Bermuda.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.