Lahey Hospital & Medical Center is part of a vibrant and growing health care system, recognized as a trailblazer in medicine and a standard bearer in patient experience. It includes an award-winning academic medical center, a superb constellation of community hospitals, home care services, rehabilitation facilities and more.
We are committed to attracting, developing and retaining top talent in a market long recognized and revered as a global leader in health. With a team approach to care, we encourage learning and growth at all levels, and we offer competitive salaries and benefits. We adhere to the principles of a just and fair work environment for all colleagues, where respect is foundational and performance is rewarded.
About the Job
The Operations Manager, Ophthalmology Department, is responsible for the overall operational, clinical, and financial performance of the department and all clinical sites. The Operations Manager works in collaboration with Service Line Director, Vice President, and physician leadership on key administrative issues, clinic initiatives, and to establish yearly performance goals for the department which is aligned with Lahey Hospital & Medical Center vision and mission. The Operations Manager has responsibility for departmental planning and development as related to the capital and operating budget including: product-line development, budget calculations, report analysis and expense monitoring.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities including but not limited to:
- Operations/Work Flow
- Responsible for department productivity and operational performance measures.
- Provides direction and guidance for all aspects of daily administration and management of department by creating and implementing substantive department systems, practices, policies and procedures (i.e. new information system department).
- Provides support to staff to enable them to provide safe, cost-effective health care that exceeds the expectations of Lahey’s patients.
- Facilitates compliance with all regulatory requirements — DPH, OSHA, JCAHO, HIPPA, etc. — in all clinical, business and financial practices within service-line
- Provides administrative guidance to lead techs and managers and others consisting of examining of operations flows, employing analytical judgment, managing projects, organizing resources, consulting and solving problems. Independently investigates and implements recommendations to the Service Line Director.
- Maintains open communications with physicians, staff and management.
- Develops work schedules to ensure proper staff coverage.
- Supervises and directs technologists and support staff engaged in creating images used in the diagnosis and treatment of diseases.
- In coordination with the Service Line Director, is responsible for the preparation, submission and monitoring of multiple budgets including but not limited to the departmental operational budget and capital budgets.
- In coordination with the Service Line Director, establishes revenue and expense targets with physician leadership, Service Line Director, and Vice President.
- In coordination with the Service Line Director, implements processes to achieve and monitor financial performance improvement through leadership of revenue cycle teams.
- In conjunction with the Service Line Director, provides supervision, guidance and monitoring of staff compliance with annual budgets (reaching budgeted revenue and expense targets).
- Forecasts operating budgets and revenues for new fiscal year based on actual experience while developing opportunities for increasing volume and reducing costs.
- Investigates and manages financial problem areas and identifies variances; proposes solutions and implements action where applicable.
- In coordination with the Service Line Director, prepares necessary financial, statistical and operational data for new program or business including expected return of investment to the organization. Develops and provides objective criteria for measuring new business processes.
- Prepares and develops monthly, quarterly and yearly reports (i.e. stats, clinical values, coding Q)
- Maintains a thorough understanding of clinical reimbursement and managed care issues specific to service-line. Identifies opportunities to optimize clinical reimbursement and implements new policies and procedures as necessary.
- Negotiates and problem solves issues/concerns/pricing with vendors, reviews contract and agreements for capital purchases and submits for approval on behalf of the department.
- Human Resources
- Is responsible for various staffing disciplines including but not limited to hire/fire, performance management, job descriptions, delegation, and management of schedules to ensure MD coverage.
- Ensures high quality patient care through effective management of service-line staffing objectives.
- In coordination with the Service Line Director, develops recruitment and retention strategies with human resources to hire, retain and develop qualified colleagues including but not limited to compensation (including performance management, reclassification, salary management, and staff development), conflict resolution/problem solving and training for all staff.
- Supports atmosphere of collegiality and promotes staff career growth to build Lahey Hospital & Medical Center as an organization of excellence.
- Functions as a role model for all Lahey Hospital & Medical Center colleagues through positive attitude, adherence to organizational policies and procedures and/or professional code of ethics.
- Provides safe environment for risk taking encouraging colleagues to contribute to problem solving and promoting best practices.
- In coordination with the Service Line Director, communicates effectively with colleagues regarding Lahey Hospital & Medical Center news/visions/goals as well as departmental activities so as to ensure staff inclusion and participation as valued members of Lahey Hospital & Medical Center
- Ensures that all annual performance appraisals are completed within the established time frame in each of the assigned areas.
- Trains and mentors staff for current assignment and develops them into successive career positions.
- Is committed to ensuring high quality patient care through the hiring, training and supervision staff.
- Ensures that all colleagues in assigned areas adhere to Lahey Hospital & Medical Center’s compliance and mandatory education requirements.
- In consultation with Human Resources, meets equal employment/affirmative action program goals and objectives.
- Complies with federal, state and local laws and regulations as well as Lahey Hospital & Medical Center policies and programs.
- Health Care Knowledge, Professional Growth and Development
- Maintains an in-depth knowledge of the changing Ophthalmology health care environment and evaluates the market need for specific clinical services or programs.
- In coordination with the Service Line Director, develops programs and services in response to the market under the guidance of physician leadership and Vice Presidents.
- Demonstrates motivation and initiative in seeking continued professional growth and development.
- Identifies knowledge gaps and takes appropriate courses or seminars to improve understanding.
- Identifies internal resources as sources of expertise to achieve learning goals.
- Patient Care/Customer Service
- Is attuned to patient/customer needs; anticipates future needs and implements appropriate action to ensure access to quality medical services and world class customer service.
- Utilizes patient satisfaction data, customer surveys, phone interviews, compliments or complaints to identify, implement and evaluate best practices.
- Motivate colleagues to achieve service quality.
- Establish culture where all colleagues feel valued and able to contribute to customer service improvement.
- Marketing and Business Development
- In coordination with the Department Chair and Service Line Director explore viability of new service-line or product, including the development of practical business plans to support the venture.
- Participate in marketing and promotional initiatives within the service-line, developing marketing campaigns, implementing programs and reporting on measured results.
- Develop relationships and lead team building with physician leadership, senior administration and other colleagues to achieve defined service-line and organizational strategic goals with the help of internal or external marketing activities.
- Quality Improvement
- Collaborate with clinical leaders and physician leadership to identify clinical, administrative and safety issues as areas for quality improvement processes.
- Participate in quality improvement initiatives as defined by the service-line or organization.
- Develop consistent interpretation and application of department policies and procedures throughout all Lahey Hospital & Medical Center sites.
- Ensure a provision for quality care in line with Lahey Hospital & Medical Center mission and philosophy.
- Assigns responsibility for process quality and efficiency to a specific technical supervisor on each shift.
- Defines and maintains quality and efficiency performance information for each technical supervisor and incorporates results in the individual’s performance evaluation.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or directed to ensure the smooth operation of the department or unit.
- Organizational Requirements:
- Maintains strict adherence to the Lahey Hospital & Medical Center Confidentiality Policy.
- Leads by the Lahey Strategic Plan and Guiding Principles.
- Incorporates Mission Statement and Goals into daily activities.
- Complies with all Lahey Hospital & Medical Center Policies. Complies with behavioral expectations of the department and Lahey Hospital & Medical Center.
- Maintains courteous and effective interactions with colleagues and patients.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the job description, performance expectations, and competency assessment.
- Demonstrates a commitment toward meeting and exceeding the needs of our customers and consistently adheres to Customer Service standards.
- Participates in departmental and/or interdepartmental quality improvement activities.
- Participates in and successfully completes Mandatory Education.
- Performs all other duties as needed or directed to meet the needs of the department.
Education: Bachelor’s degree preferred or minimum of 8 years experience in healthcare management.
Licensure, Certification, Registration: None
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities: Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
Experience: A minimum of 10 years of relevant experience in the health care deliver industry including operations, strategic planning, financial analysis and project management. Financial management and budgeting experience also required.
The Lahey Model of Care—right care, right time, right place—is exactly what patients, providers and payers need and deserve. Identifying and delivering on this convergence of interests has positioned Lahey Health for further growth. Our model ensures care is highly coordinated and locally delivered, with lower costs and exceptional quality.
Lahey Health is a robust, regional system including a teaching hospital, community hospitals, primary care providers, specialists, behavioral and home health services, skilled nursing and rehabilitation facilities, and senior care resources throughout northeastern Massachusetts and southern New Hampshire. The system has a global presence with programs in Canada, Jordan and Bermuda.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.