Location: Burlington, MA
Job ID: 154853-1A
Date Posted: May 22, 2019
About the Job
The Supervisor, Patient Access Services oversees the daily operations of a team of colleagues within the Patient Access Services department with the goal of maintaining efficient and effective performance of the colleagues on a day to day basis (work schedules, department performance metrics, adherence to LHMC policies, etc.). The Supervisor promotes continuous improvement of the overall performance of the team by proactively identifying problems and proposing solutions, and serving as a role model for customer service and colleague engagement at all times.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities including but not limited to:
1. Coordinates the daily operations of his/her assigned team of colleagues, maintaining all necessary systems and controls to ensure the efficient and effective performance of the team.
2. Responds to problems as they occur and assists the Director/Manager in identifying barriers to performance. Serves as a resource and support to team members.
3. Maintains relationships with assigned clinical departments through daily interactions and periodic meetings with department managers.
4. Assists the Director/Manager in the development of colleague schedules. Identifies gaps in coverage created by planned or unscheduled absences of colleagues and proposes solutions.
5. Personally provides staffing coverage when needed, effectively performing the duties and responsibilities of the position(s) he/she oversees (patient scheduling, registration, financial clearance, etc.).
6. Monitors the daily performance of individual colleagues and the overall performance of the team, through direct observation of performance during the work day and review of system-generated performance reports.
7. Assures that all colleagues are properly trained and prepared to perform effectively. Proactively identifies colleagues in need of retraining and continuing skill development. Reviews findings with the Director/Manager and provides retraining and continued skill development to colleagues as needed.
8. Assures colleague adherence to all Lahey Hospital and Medical Center policies and procedures, including dress code, attendance, etc. Reports issues to the Director/Manager and addresses issues as directed.
9. Assists the Director/Manager in administering corrective action to colleagues when necessary.
10. Assists with the recruitment of colleagues by interviewing candidates and providing feedback to the Director/Manager.
11. Provides training and orientation to new colleagues.
12. Contributes to colleague annual performance appraisals and competency assessments with measurable data and/or specific examples of performance.
13. Works as a positive and constructive change agent, demonstrating a commitment to the continuous excellence and improvement of the team’s performance. Strives to either improve existing work flows or to find new ways of doing tasks that enable the greatest productivity and accuracy of work product, and the highest quality of customer service.
14. Intervenes to handles sensitive patient issues or situations when a patient is not satisfied with a team member’s response to a particular problem. Escalates problems to the Director/Manager when appropriate.
15.Works with the clinical departments, outside providers, third party insurers and any other individual or entity to assist in resolving patient questions or problems in the most effective and positive manner possible.
16. Systemically assesses the needs of the department on an ongoing basis. Makes recommendations to the Director/Manager as needs or problems are identified.
17. Assist the Director/Manager with special projects as needed.
18. Incorporates Lahey Hospital and Medical Center Guiding Principles, Mission Statement and Goals into daily activities.
19. Complies with all Lahey Hospital and Medical Center Policies.
20. Complies with behavioral expectations of the department and Lahey Hospital and Medical Center.
21. Maintains courteous and effective interactions with colleagues and patients.
22. Demonstrates an understanding of the job description, performance expectations, and competency assessment.
23. Demonstrates a commitment toward meeting and exceeding the needs of our customers and consistently adheres to Customer Service standards.
24. Participates in departmental and/or interdepartmental quality improvement activities as directed by Manager.
25. Participates in and successfully completes Mandatory Education.
26. Performs all other duties as needed or directed to meet the needs of the department.
Education: High School diploma or equivalent.
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities:
•Has an understanding of Patient Access Services and how it relates to the Revenue Cycle as a whole.
•Has a working knowledge of the Epic system.
•Has strong verbal and written communication and problem-solving skills.
•Has a knowledge and understanding of leadership principles
SHIFT: 40 Hours, 1st shift
The Lahey Model of Care—right care, right time, right place—is exactly what patients, providers and payers need and deserve. Identifying and delivering on this convergence of interests has positioned Lahey Health for further growth. Our model ensures care is highly coordinated and locally delivered, with lower costs and exceptional quality.
Lahey Health is a robust, regional system including a teaching hospital, community hospitals, primary care providers, specialists, behavioral and home health services, skilled nursing and rehabilitation facilities, and senior care resources throughout northeastern Massachusetts and southern New Hampshire. The system has a global presence with programs in Canada, Jordan and Bermuda.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.