Primary Care is part of a vibrant and growing health care system, recognized as a trailblazer in medicine and a standard bearer in patient experience. It includes an award-winning academic medical center, a superb constellation of community hospitals, home care services, rehabilitation facilities and more.
We are committed to attracting, developing and retaining top talent in a market long recognized and revered as a global leader in health. With a team approach to care, we encourage learning and growth at all levels, and we offer competitive salaries and benefits. We adhere to the principles of a just and fair work environment for all colleagues, where respect is foundational and performance is rewarded.
About the Job
E. JOB SUMMARY: Contributes to Winchester Physician Associate’s (WPA) mission by providing administrative support for the practice's non-clinical operations. This administrative staff position will have an impact on patient satisfaction by providing empathetic, courteous and efficient interactions with patients and families and providing administrative support to the providers so to provide efficient and thorough care to patients.
Required: High school diploma or equivalent required
- One (1) year of secretarial or medical assistant experience in a physician practice
- EMR experience
- Basic computer skills and good typing skills with accuracy and attention to detail
- For safety and quality reasons, must be able to read, write and communicate
effectively in English with patients, visitors and fellow members of the team
G. LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS, CERTIFICATIONS: N/A
H. LIFE SUPPORT CERTIFICATION REQUIRED: N/A
I. POPULATION SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS: Depends on practices’ clinical specialty
J. OTHER JOB REQUIREMENTS:
On-call Requirement: N/A
Schedule Requirements: Schedule may vary based on practice and/or physicians’ needs
Travel Requirements: Travel between practices may be required based on business needs
K. REPORTING RELATIONSHIPS:
- Reporting structure depends on the size and organizational structure of the practice
- Does not supervise others
SECTION 2: PROMISE COMMITMENT
When patients enter our practices, they are entrusting us with a responsibility that is otherwise normally their own--the responsibility for their health, well-being, and often, their lives. To honor that trust, all Winchester Physician Associates (WPA) employees are expected to demonstrate the PROMISE behaviors of Winchester Hospital in every encounter with patients, coworkers, and the community. PROMISE is an acronym for the following:
Maintaining a Positive Attitude
Safety and Quality
All WPA employees are expected to exemplify the PROMISE behaviors.
SECTION 3: COMPLIANCE COMMITMENT
WPA maintains a Compliance Program to ensure that employees comply with all laws, regulations and other licensure and accreditation standards that apply to our business. The Code of Business Conduct is a vital part of the Compliance Program. Employees must be familiar with the Compliance Program and Code of Business Conduct and must comply with their requirements and the requirements of any other laws and regulations, policies and procedures affecting the performance of their job. If applicable, employees are expected to comply with standards of conduct outlined by the oversight organization(s) of their profession.
SECTION 4: JOB FUNCTIONS
Consistent with the PROMISE principles and inherent in a healthcare environment, employees must be flexible in meeting patients’ and the practice’s needs. While the list below describes the primary functions of this job, all employees of WPA need to recognize that an essential element of their job is the ability to respond to unanticipated and/or changing situations. This may result in assuming responsibilities or tasks which are not on this list.
As part of the practice team, this position:
- Screens providers’ phone calls and other messages/phone calls:
- Answers all incoming phone calls and routes to appropriate person. Takes clear messages for providers or other office staff, handles requests for information, including researching issue and ensures that emergent messages are handled per practice protocols.
- Answers common, non-clinical/complex questions and escalates questions as appropriate. Provides general information regarding the practice within scope of responsibility.
- Documents and researches patient prescription refill requests and forwards to provider using appropriate office protocols.
- Communicates test results, either written or verbally, as directed by provider.
- Provides the physician with message and other pertinent information. As appropriate, researches, pulls records and/or forwards to provider.
- Liaisons with patients and patient family members to assist them in navigating the scheduling of their patient care plan, as developed by the provider:
- Registers and web enables patients for portal access and coaches patients and family members on how to utilize the tool to optimize their care.
- Provides timely, courteous, informative and confidential insurance assistance for patients and their family members and assists patients in understanding their insurance.
- Educates patients about the practice’s referral policy and preauthorization requirements. Communicates with patients regarding the need for referral authorizations and coordinates with other practitioner offices when necessary.
- Schedules follow up appointments and/or provide information about recommended specialists.
- Schedules diagnostic and specialty appointments as directed by the provider or assists patients in navigating to specialists and/or testing appointments. Completes referrals and preauthorizations per healthcare payer and practice protocols.
- Obtains referrals for specialty care.
- Assists with patient throughput:
- Greets patients and others timely and in a manner that is respectful and empathetic.
- Registers patients, verifies health insurance coverage and demographic information. Collects co-payments, issues receipts, and obtains signatures for necessary forms.
- Maintains provider appointment schedules and advises providers of changes throughout the day. May print patient schedules for upcoming day/days
- Maximizes patient throughput to minimize wait time and improve patient satisfaction. Monitors waiting rooms and advises patients of delays.
- Escalates concerns.
- Assists with the maintenance of medical records:
- Files/scans miscellaneous loose reports and materials into medical records.
- For practices that use the service, pulls transcription reports when necessary and places properly in record. Requests stat and other dictaphone/transcription requests and follows up to ensure timely completion. Escalates and communicates delays that are not within department norms and/or physician or patient care unit’s requests.
- Based on practice procedure may pull/print and file medical records for scheduled patients and for requests by providers and other practice staff.
- Distributes medical record materials in compliance with HIPPA, legal requirements, state and federal guidelines and practice/WPA policies and procedures which may include electronically via fax, interoffice delivery, mail, and priority mailing.
- Reviews, prepares and updates patient records with the dual purpose of preparing the provider for appointments/procedures and reviewing to ensure patient care plans/protocols are being followed:
- Monitors outstanding or incomplete documentation by maintaining or generating patient lists/registries using the available tools and data and takes necessary steps to ensure completeness of all required documentation.
- Reviews patient records against quality measures and best practice indicators and advises providers of potential documentation and care gaps.
- Facilitates referral to other physicians and departments by completing the necessary forms and preauthorization/certification.
- Prepares medical records for scheduled appointments/procedure:
- Reviews for completeness before appointment and updates medical record as appropriate and ensures record is in the approved order.
- Inserts the required forms per procedure and department protocol.
- Follows up with patients or specialists to ensure patient care plans since last appointment were followed and the results are available for the physician's review.
- Intervenes with administrative support to ensure the patient care plan is followed:
- Follows up with provider and/or patient to ensure appointments/tests were completed as per the patient care plan.
- Confirms that lab and other ancillary tests are performed and results are documented in a manner that conforms with clinical reporting guidelines by utilizing the available tools and data. Conducts follow-up where information is found to be missing or incomplete.
- At pre-established intervals as determined by the best practice guidelines, confirms that lab and other ancillary tests are performed and results are documented in a manner that conforms with clinical reporting guidelines by utilizing the available tools and data. Conducts follow-up where information is found to be missing or incomplete.
- Checks patients out:
- Schedules follow up appointments and/or provides information about recommended specialists.
- Schedules diagnostic and specialty appointments as directed by the provider or assists patients in navigating to specialists and/or testing appointments.
- Completes referrals and preauthorizations per healthcare payor and practice protocols.
- Enters charges.
- Reviews patient records for accuracy performing quality checks on ICD9 and CPT codes and other related information to help streamline the billing process per practice protocols.
- Provides support as an administrative team member:
- Receives and distributes mail per practice protocols.
- Appropriately follows the chain of command and adheres to practice policies and procedures.
- Communicates effectively with the team utilizing established handoff procedures. Gives and accepts respectful feedback to enhance teamwork.
- Maximizes patient throughput to minimize wait time and improve patient satisfaction.
- Monitors waiting rooms and advises patients of delays or escalates concerns.
- Maintains a clean and organized work environment to enhance patient satisfaction and a culture of safety.
DAYS / FULL TIME / READING, MA
The Lahey Model of Care—right care, right time, right place—is exactly what patients, providers and payers need and deserve. Identifying and delivering on this convergence of interests has positioned Lahey Health for further growth. Our model ensures care is highly coordinated and locally delivered, with lower costs and exceptional quality.
Lahey Health is a robust, regional system including a teaching hospital, community hospitals, primary care providers, specialists, behavioral and home health services, skilled nursing and rehabilitation facilities, and senior care resources throughout northeastern Massachusetts and southern New Hampshire. The system has a global presence with programs in Canada, Jordan and Bermuda.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.