Lahey Hospital & Medical Center is part of a vibrant and growing health care system, recognized as a trailblazer in medicine and a standard bearer in patient experience. It includes an award-winning academic medical center, a superb constellation of community hospitals, home care services, rehabilitation facilities and more.
We are committed to attracting, developing and retaining top talent in a market long recognized and revered as a global leader in health. With a team approach to care, we encourage learning and growth at all levels, and we offer competitive salaries and benefits. We adhere to the principles of a just and fair work environment for all colleagues, where respect is foundational and performance is rewarded.
About the Job
In support of supervisory staff, assists with the daily supervision of Security Officers. Coordinates and leads response to emergency conditions. Provides security and protection for patients, visitors, and colleagues, as well as buildings and grounds. May be called upon to provide assistance in many different circumstances, settings and weather.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities including but not limited to:
- Lead Responsibilities - In support of Security Supervisory staff, assists with supervising general security staff. Duties include:
- Allocation of staff resources
- Consults with and supports supervisor in counseling staff on routine issues pertaining to performance, attendance, or behavior
- Works closely with Nursing Supervisors on issues related to patient safety and security, escalating patients, all codes, and any other security related events.
- Assist with the training of new officers and assist with any needed refresher training as well.
- Monitoring and Reporting - Patrols assigned areas on foot or in vehicle; checks for unsafe conditions, hazards, unlocked doors, security violations, blocked ingress and egress, and unauthorized persons. Conducts periodic inspections of all areas at designated times to ascertain their conditions of security and safety. Perform monthly preventative maintenance and required equipment checks, i.e.: elevator phones, outside emergency phones, vehicle equipment, door alarms and panel, building alarms, fire alarm panel, all doors and locks and radio equipment. Prepares logs or reports as required for post, writes or types reports entering information in a computer.
- Enforcement - Directs vehicle and pedestrian traffic. Issues parking citations for colleagues parked in unauthorized lots. Patrols designated areas and all parking areas. Checks for and issues proper identification of colleagues, and enforcing the wearing of ID badges. Issues temporary badges to Visitors and Vendors. Checks suspicious packages as directed.
- Emergency Response - Responds to all Codes and alarms in accordance with the Safety Manual and the Emergency Management Policy. Coordinates with local Police, Fire, and Emergency personnel as directed. Responds to alarms initiated by fire crash bars on exterior doors. Responds to elevator entrapments. Respond to and investigate reported thefts, disturbances and incidents. Responds to medical emergency call such as slips or falls in the facility or on the grounds, provide an emergency stretcher as needed, and assists with transport within building, awaiting ambulance as the case warrants.
- Patient Observation - Performs patient watch or observation as directed. Responds appropriately to a variety of human service issues, including domestic abuse, substance abuse, forensic patients, psychiatric cases, and anxious/upset visitors. Maintain composure and professional demeanor in an occasionally chaotic environment. Practices universal precautions. Restrains patients as necessary utilizing de-escalation techniques.
- Fire Prevention - Identifies and reports fire safety hazards. Keep fire exits, fire doors, corridor access and extinguishing equipment clear. Immediately notify appropriate personnel when equipment may be out of order and in need of repair or replacement. Assist on Fire Drills and training.
- Colleague and Patient Assistance - Provides assistance to patients, visitors, and colleagues with vehicle problems, such as jump starts, lock outs, shoveling, contacting AAA etc. Using a Lahey Clinic vehicle, transports patients and colleagues between buildings and designated parking lots.
- Courier - Responsible for multiple daily bank and pharmacy details. Delivers payroll to various buildings. Delivers large deposits from Cashiers, 31 Mall Road and Wall Street and others to area banks. Retrieves and delivers pharmacy items, such as vaccines, alcohol, and narcotics. Retrieves and delivers stat charts, specimens, x-rays and other equipment from Lab, Radiology, and Health Information Management (H.I.M.) to off site facilities.
- Notifies the Maintenance Department of changing weather conditions as it relates to snow removal and sanding for the safety of patients, visitors, and colleagues.
- Coordinates with Funeral Home staff for removal of deceased patients, verifies that accompanying legal documents are complete, records pathology statistics and processes paperwork.
- Incorporates Lahey Clinic Guiding Principles and Mission Statement into daily activities.
- Complies with all Lahey Clinic Policies.
- Complies with behavioral expectations of the department and Lahey Clinic.
- Maintains courteous and effective interactions with colleagues and patients.
- Demonstrates an understanding of job description, performance expectations, and competency assessment.
- Demonstrates a commitment toward meeting and exceeding the needs of our customers and consistently adheres to our Customer Service standards.
- Participates in departmental and/or interdepartmental quality improvement activities.
- Participates in and successfully completes Mandatory Education.
- Performs all other duties as needed or directed to meet the needs of the department.
Education: High School Graduate or equivalent
Licensure, Certification, Registration: Current valid driver’s license required.
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities: Observant, paying close attention to detail; Ability to remain calm in difficult situations; Adaptable to sometimes rapidly changing situations; Strong interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to interact effectively across diverse cultures and at various social and educational levels. Basic computer and data entry skills.
Experience: 3 years of security experience with a minimum of 1 year in a leadership role.
The Lahey Model of Care—right care, right time, right place—is exactly what patients, providers and payers need and deserve. Identifying and delivering on this convergence of interests has positioned Lahey Health for further growth. Our model ensures care is highly coordinated and locally delivered, with lower costs and exceptional quality.
Lahey Health is a robust, regional system including a teaching hospital, community hospitals, primary care providers, specialists, behavioral and home health services, skilled nursing and rehabilitation facilities, and senior care resources throughout northeastern Massachusetts and southern New Hampshire. The system has a global presence with programs in Canada, Jordan and Bermuda.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.