Winchester Physician Associates is part of a vibrant and growing health care system, recognized as a trailblazer in medicine and a standard bearer in patient experience. It includes an award-winning academic medical center, a superb constellation of community hospitals, home care services, rehabilitation facilities and more.
We are committed to attracting, developing and retaining top talent in a market long recognized and revered as a global leader in health. With a team approach to care, we encourage learning and growth at all levels, and we offer competitive salaries and benefits. We adhere to the principles of a just and fair work environment for all colleagues, where respect is foundational and performance is rewarded.
About the Job
- Provides clinical assistance to providers:
- Identifies, greets, transports and/or escorts patients making the patients feel welcomed and comfortable.
- Takes vital signs (height, weight, blood pressure, pulse, respiration, temperature) and obtains patient history and medication list. Observes patient and documents and reports findings to licensed clinician and/or physician.
- Assists the nurse, physician, and/or other licensed clinician with the patient visit and care, which may include procedures such as:
- Preparing patient for visit including assistance with clothing and transferring to exam table/chair.
- Setting up trays and preparing equipment, instruments and materials for the nurse and/or physician.
- Acting as a chaperone and/or provides emotional support for the patient.
- Explaining procedures and reviewing patient instructions
- Obtains and labels specimens for transport.
- Assisting with wound care
- Giving injections
- Drawing blood
- Performing EKGs
- Performing finger stick blood sugar tests
- Assisting with other tests and procedures
- Assists providers in more advanced clinical procedures, depending on the practice.
- Enters orders, at the physicians direction (provided employee is RMA or a licensed clinician.)
- Cleans and prepares the exam room or other patient areas between patients ensuring a clean, sanitized and welcoming environment.
- Sterilizes equipment.
- Maintains appropriate supplies and linen both in exam/patient areas and ensures adequate stock is maintained. Orders routine medical supplies. Monitors expiration dates and rotates inventory.
- Prepares, cleans and maintains equipment, addressing issues in a timely manner to ensure availability of equipment and to maximize its useful life.
- Maximizes patient throughput to minimize wait time and improve patient satisfaction.
- Acts as liaison with patient assisting them in navigating their patient care:
- Screens providers’ phone calls and other messages/phone calls:
- Answers providers’ phone calls. Takes clear messages for providers or other office staff. Handles requests for information, including researching issue. Ensures that emergent messages are handled per practice protocols.
- Answers common, non-clinical/complex questions and escalates questions as appropriate.
- Provides general information regarding the practice within scope of responsibility.
- Documents and researches patient prescription refill requests and forwards to provider using appropriate office protocols.
- Communicates test results, either written or verbally, as directed by provider.
o Provides the physician with messages and other pertinent information, which may require research and/or pulling records. Researches, pulls records and/or forwards to provider as appropriate.
- Liaisons with patients and patient family members to assist them in navigating the scheduling of their patient care plan, as developed by the provider:
- Registers and web enables patients for portal access and coaches patients and family members on how to utilize the tool to optimize their care.
- Provides timely, courteous, informative and confidential insurance assistance for patients and their family members and assists patients in understanding their insurance.
- Educates patients about the practice’s referral policy and preauthorization requirements. Communicates with patients regarding the need for referral authorizations and coordinates with other practitioner offices when necessary.
- Schedules follow up appointments and/or provides information about recommended specialists.
- Schedules diagnostic and specialty appointments as directed by the provider or assists patients in navigating to specialists and/or testing appointments. Completes referrals and pre-authorizations per healthcare payer and practice protocols.
- Maintains provider appointment schedules and advises providers of changes throughout the day. May print patient schedules for upcoming day/days.
- Reviews, prepares and updates patient records with the dual purpose of preparing the provider for appointments/procedures and reviewing to ensure patient care plans/protocols are being followed
- Monitors outstanding or incomplete documentation by maintaining or generating patient lists/registries using the available tools and data and takes necessary steps to ensure completeness of all required documentation.
- Reviews, prepares and updates patient records
- Utilizes lists and data to implement systematic approaches to patient care follow up such as follow up reminders and information/educational mailings.
- Reviews patient records against quality measures and best practice indicators and advises providers of potential documentation and care gaps.
- Facilitates referral to other physicians and departments by completing the necessary forms and pre authorization/certification.
- Prepares medical records for scheduled appointments/procedure:
- Reviews for completeness before appointment and update as medical record as appropriate and record is in the approved order.
- Inserts the required forms per procedure and department protocol.
- Follows up with patients or specialists to ensure patient care plans since last appointment were followed and the results are available for the physician's review.
- Intervenes with administrative support to ensure the patient care plan is followed
- Follows up with provider and/or patient to ensure appointments/tests were completed as per the patient care plan.
- Confirms that lab and other ancillary tests are performed and results are documented in a manner that conforms with clinical reporting guidelines by utilizing the available tools and data. Conducts follow-up where information is found to be missing or incomplete.
- At pre-established intervals as determined by the best practice guidelines, confirms that lab and other ancillary tests are performed and results are documented in a manner that conforms with clinical reporting guidelines by utilizing the available tools and data. Conducts follow-up where information is found to be missing or incomplete.
- Assists with the maintenance of medical records:
- Files/scans miscellaneous loose reports and materials into medical records.
- For practices that use the service, pulls transcription reports when necessary and places properly in record. Requests stat and other Dictaphone/transcription requests and follows up to ensure timely completion. Escalates and communicates delays that are not within department norms and/or physician or patient care unit’s request
- Based on practice procedure may pull/print and file medical records for scheduled patients and for requests by providers and other practice staff.
- Distributes medical record materials in compliance with HIPPA, legal requirements, state and federal guidelines and practice/WPA policies and procedures which may include electronically via fax, interoffice delivery, mail, and priority mailing
- Provides back up or periodic administrative assistance to the practice as needed, including but not limited to:
- Answers providers’ phone calls and routes to appropriate person. Takes clear Messages, handles requests for information, including researchingissue.
- Providing front desk coverage
- Greets patients and others timely and in a manner that is respectful and empathetic.
- Registers patients, verifies health insurance coverage and demographic information. Collects co-payments, issues receipts, and obtains signatures for necessary forms.
- Schedules patient appointments and collects pre-registration information at the time of scheduling. Reviews and verifies eligibility of insurance. Obtains referrals for specialty care.
- Provides check out desk coverage.
- Schedules follow up appointments and/or provides information about recommended specialists.
- Schedules diagnostic and specialty appointments as directed by the provider or assists patients in navigating to specialists and/or testing appointments. Completes referrals and preauthorizations per healthcare payer and practice protocols.
- Enters charges and reviews patient records for billing accuracy performing quality checks on ICD9 and CPT codes and other related information to help streamline the billing process per practice protocols.
- Following up with patients for appointment reminders and other issues.
- Scheduling appointments and coordinating referrals and preapprovals
- Filing and distributes records as necessary and in compliance with HIPPA, and policies and procedures.
- Receives and distributes mail per practice protocols.
- Functions as an effective team member, striving for optimum practice operations:
- Maximizes patient throughput to minimize wait time and improve patient satisfaction. Monitors waiting rooms and advises patients of delays or escalates concerns.
- Appropriately follows the chain of command and adheres to practice policies and procedures.
- Communicates effectively with the team utilizing established handoff procedures. Gives and accepts respectful feedback to enhance teamwork.
- Minimizes preventable harm events and consistently executes the infection control protocols. Incorporates the Culture of Safety tools in daily practice, adhering to quality and safety guidelines and communicating near-miss or potential risks.
- Maintains a clean and safe work environment to enhance patient satisfaction and a culture of safety.
- Functions effectively in patient crisis situations and utilizes emergency resources. Assists in preparation of patient for transport to alternative level of care.
- High school diploma or equivalent required If hired after 1/1/15: also must have either:
- Graduate of an LPN or RN program and license within 6 months of employment or Graduate of an accredited Medical Assistant program or At least five (5) years of experience as a Medical Assistant
- Graduate of an accredited program and 1 year of experience as a Medical Assistant
- EMR experience
- Basic computer skills and good typing skills with accuracy and attention to detail
- For safety and quality reasons, must be able to read, write and communicate effectively in English with patients, visitors and fellow members of the team.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS, CERTIFICATIONS:
An RN or LPN license may be considered in lieu of the Medical Assistant Certification (must be maintained.)
The Medical Assistant may be allowed time to achieve 5 years of experience as a Medical Assistant plus 6 months to obtain certification provided that as of 1/1/15 they have either:
- Nursing Assistant Certification (must be maintained)
- Completion of at least half of the requirements towards an RN degree If hired after 1/1/15, National Registration of Medical Assistant Certification or Licensed LPN or RN is required within 6 months of hire.?
Preferred: National Registration of Medical Assistant Certification upon hire
LIFE SUPPORT CERTIFICATION REQUIRED: Basic Life Support
POPULATION SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS: Depends on practices’ clinical specialty
OTHER JOB REQUIREMENTS:
Professional Commitment Requirements: Keep abreast of developments in the field and/or licensure through continuing education, participation in professional organizations or a combination of both.
On-call Requirement: N/A
Schedule Requirements: Schedule may vary based on practice and/or physicians’ needs.
Full Time - 36 hours - Day Shift
Winchester Hospital serves the health care needs of many communities in northwest suburban Boston for acute-care inpatient services plus an extensive range of outpatient services and integrated home care. Since 1912, it has been a trusted pillar of the community, amassing an enviable list of professional awards and honors, including: an “A” safety rating from The Leapfrog Group, a ninth-in-the-state ranking on the U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospitals list and repeated accolades as a top area employer. Winchester Hospital was also the first community hospital in the state to achieve Magnet® recognition, the industry’s gold standard for nursing excellence.
Winchester Hospital colleagues rally around our mission: To Care. To Heal. To Excel. In Service to Our Community. Our affiliation with Lahey Health furthers our mission by allowing us to offer patients streamlined, coordinated and comprehensive care, close to home.
Join our team and embrace our mission by applying today!
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.