Lahey Health is a vibrant and growing health care system, recognized as a trailblazer in medicine and a standard bearer in patient experience. It includes an award-winning academic medical center, a superb constellation of community hospitals, home care services, rehabilitation facilities and more.
We are committed to attracting, developing and retaining top talent in a market long recognized and revered as a global leader in health. With a team approach to care, we encourage learning and growth at all levels, and we offer competitive salaries and benefits. We adhere to the principles of a just and fair work environment for all colleagues, where respect is foundational and performance is rewarded.
Full Time ; 40 hour ; Days
Position Summary: Under general supervision of the Director, assigned manager or designee, and in collaboration with physicians and other care providers, provides secretarial and administrative support to one or more individuals in a clinical environment. Utilizes specific knowledge of medical terminology.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities including but not limited to:
- General Medical Office Functions:
- Maintains physician and midlevel clinic schedules on a daily/weekly/monthly basis.
- Processes and monitors Provider time away and ensures that the information is captured in all required systems.
- Answers a high volume of telephone calls in a professional manner and takes responsibility for appropriate dispositions and follow through on all phone calls. Accurately identifies those patients requiring immediate attention and relays this information to the appropriate personnel.
- Utilizes Lahey Health electronic systems in order to record thorough, and complete phone messages.
- Electronically facilitates patient prescriptions including new, refills, faxes, and prescription preauthorization’s.
- Uses electronic systems to enter provider orders and retrieve test results.
- Facilitates collection of outside medical records and x rays for Lahey patients and indexes paperwork for scanning process.
- Processes forms required for insurance approvals for scheduled procedures, office visits, or tests.
- Transcribes a variety of documents including correspondence, memos, and department/staff meeting minutes. Proofreads all documents for accuracy and completeness.
- In surgical departments uses electronic OR scheduling systems to view and print schedules. Monitors and track physician progress electronically.
- Maintains provider correspondence, reports, and statistics.
- Makes physician travel arrangements as needed.
- Maintains physician curriculum vitae, bibliography and Continuing Medical Education (CME).
- Screens, sorts and distributes mail.
- Operates office equipment including (but not limited to) a personal computer, Internet, voice mail, e-mail, paging systems, copy machine, transcription equipment and fax.
- Assists in establishing a new physician’s practice, ordering business cards, office supplies etc.
- Works with provider and/or other care provider to provide access to patients and facilitate “work in” appointments as required.
- Schedules patients for tests and consultations as directed by the provider or other care provider.
- Communicates information to patients regarding requirements for appointments and test preparation, as needed.
- Uses clinic-wide scheduling system for updating demographic and insurance information to ensure timely and accurate billing.
- Processes any physician or other care provider ‘bump lists’, according to protocol ensuring all patients are provided and notified of the new appointment.
3) Organizational Requirements:
- Maintains strict adherence to the Lahey Clinic Confidentiality Policy.
- Incorporates Lahey Clinic Guiding Principles, Mission Statement and Goals into daily activities.
- Complies with all Lahey Clinic Policies.
- Complies with behavioral expectations of the department and Lahey Clinic.
- Maintains courteous and effective interactions with colleagues and patients.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the job description, performance expectations, and competency assessment.
- Demonstrates a commitment toward meeting and exceeding the needs of our customers and consistently adheres to Customer Service standards.
- Participates in departmental and/or interdepartmental quality improvement activities.
- Participates in and successfully completes Mandatory Education.
- Performs all other duties as needed or directed to meet the needs of the department.
Education: High school diploma or equivalent.
Licensure, Certification, Registration: None required.
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities:
Knowledge of Medical terminology.
Proficient in standard office procedures and operation of business machines, (personal computer, fax, telephone, dictaphone, others as appropriate).
Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills; organizational skills and attention to detail.
Experience: 1 year related office and/or medical office experience.