Location: Beverly, MA
Job ID: 149282-1A
Date Posted: Dec 30, 2019
Category: Clinical Technician
DAYS/Candidate will be able to travel to practice locations in Beverly, Danvers and Gloucester plus be available to work between the hours of 7am and 7pm. The candidate will not work more than 8 hours per shift nut may need to be flexible during those hours of operation
T-About the Job
Under the general supervision of the Administrative Director, Director of Site Operations or assigned manager/Site Manager in Collaboration with the Associate Chief of Ambulatory Nursing Practice, provides direct and indirect care to a specified group of patients in a variety of healthcare settings. Medical Assistants work in collaboration with the physician(s), or other health care provider(s), other ambulatory support staff within the department, and with other disciplines, to deliver patient care.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities: including but not limited to:
I. Clinical Considerations and Decision Making: Ways in which MA's come to understand the problems, issues or concerns of patients/families, to attend to relevant/critical information and to respond in concerned and involved ways.
A. Accountable for providing safe patient care by demonstrating organizational skills that maintain and coordinate safe delivery of quality care for assigned patients/families.
B. Participates in a culturally competent plan of care that identifies patient problems, expected outcomes, and addresses preventative measures.
C. Delivers care that is specific to the age of the patient
D. Cares for patients as delegated by the provider, RN or LPN
E. Contributes information provided by the patient or family for the assessment of health status
F. Evaluates outcomes of interventions within their scope and follows directions on a modified plan of care
G. Provides patient care by:
a. Providing necessary physical care to appropriate patient populations
b. Utilizing and transporting equipment
c. Administering treatments as ordered by the provider
d. Assisting with examinations and procedures
II. Collaborative Relationship: Collaborates, cooperates, and communicates with other health care personnel to ensure quality and continuity of care.
A. Establishes collaborative relationships with nurses, physicians, other colleagues, patients and families.
B. Participates in and supports the educational plan for patient and family.
C. Supports Lahey Hospital and Medical Center's commitment to community based activities both within the Lahey community and beyond.
III. Clinical Guidance: The MA, within the scope of his/her practice, is responsible for the nature and quality of care they provide for patients.
A. Demonstrates appropriate behavior by adhering to unit policies and procedures and practice guidelines specific to the setting.
B. Demonstrates the ability to provide and maintain patient safety in the environment of care
C. Demonstrates skills as a responsive team member.
D. Demonstrates ability to fulfill role in Regulatory compliance and readiness.
IV. Clinical Study: The Medical Assistant in Ambulatory Care achieves clinical study through experiences with patients, through collaboration with colleagues and leadership and through formal and informal education. Learning is transformed into knowledge through self-reflection and analysis.
A. Upholds standards of quality care.
B. Demonstrates a commitment to life long learning.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities including but not limited to:
1) Achieves and maintains Basic Life Support (BLS) certification through American Heart Association, according to departmental standards (within one year).
2) Organizes and prioritizes daily work to ensure patient?s needs are met and provider schedules run efficiently.
3) Monitors patient flow, escorts patients to the appropriate room, accurately obtains patient identification, allergy history, domestic abuse screening, obtains and records vital signs, per departmental standards in Electronic Medical Record (EMR) or on appropriate forms.
4) Answers and transfers calls in accordance with Lahey Hospital and Medical Center Guidelines. Takes accurate messages and relays the information to the appropriate staff, per established site/department protocol. Follows through to ensure that issues identified have been resolved. Identifies patients requiring immediate attention and refers them to the appropriate personnel.
5) Maintains exam rooms by monitoring and replenishing supplies and performing routine housekeeping and disposal and handling of hazardous waste. Maintain inventory of medical supplies and orders medical supplies as authorized by Site/assigned Manager, Supervisor or Site Coordinator.
6) Documents all pertinent information in EMR. Accurately transcribes provider orders according to policy.
7) Notifies provider with any abnormal vital signs, elevated pain scores or safety concerns. Observes and reports any abnormal symptoms or behavior to appropriate clinical staff member.
8) Communicates all appropriate information prior to break, lunch or change of shift, to necessary personnel to ensure continuity of care.
9) Prepares patient for the appointment based upon the diagnosis, procedure and/or department protocols. Includes proper patient attire (gowns/shorts etc), proper pre-visit tests completed, and proper set-ups for the procedure to be performed etc.
10) Maintains confidentiality and patient rights in interactions with the patient/family and other health care workers.
11) Respects the values (religious/spiritual, ethnic, cultural) of the patient and family.
12) Perform electrocardiograms, blood pressures, spirometries and vision and hearing testing according to departmental standards.
13) Utilizes appropriate technique in room preparation and while assisting with procedures/exams.
14) Performs testing and specimen collection (including labeling and processing). Perform backup finger stick and venipuncture phlebotomy according to departmental standards as assigned by the Site/Clinical Manager, Supervisor or Site Coordinator and in collaboration with the Laboratory Manager. Performs waived testing, result documentation and Quality Controls per established laboratory procedure.
15) Enters required information for prescription refills properly through EMR using defined protocol.
16) Provides and reviews appropriate instructions to patients regarding any diagnostic test and procedure. Provides patient with written educational material, including diagnostic preparations, as necessary. Document that patient instructions were given, as well as patient?s response.
17) Assists in performing departmental procedures.
18) Use electronic system to schedule x-ray, mammography or laboratory appointments.
19) Performs and/or assists with the admission and transfer process.
20) Attends and successfully completes Skills Fair on an annual basis.
21) Meets expectations and maintains competencies of new hire orientation skills checklist, annual competency verification and participates in education programs provided.
22) Orients staff members and others to the department as requested.
23) Is alert to Quality Assurance and CQI issues as well as to unsafe working conditions. Notifies manager of concerns. Participates in unit based QI activities and is familiar with unit measurement data.
24) Provide back-up coverage for the front office staff, including booking appointments, telephone coverage and receptionist duties according to departmental standards.
Education: High School Diploma or equivalent (GED) required. Must be a graduate of an accredited medical assistant program.
Licensure, Certification, Registration: None
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities:
Strong interpersonal and customer service skills required to communicate with patients, family members, physicians and other health care providers, as well as other colleagues. Knowledge of medical terminology. Must possess strong problem solving abilities and analytical skills to ensure patient's needs are met. Must possess basic computer skills to input and retrieve clinical information.
At Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, as one of the world's premier health care organizations, we provide superior health care leading to the best possible outcome for every patient. We exceed our patients' high expectations for service each day. We also help advance medicine through research and the education of tomorrow's health care leaders
We care for our patients with compassion and openness, unsurpassed expertise, a drive for continuous learning improvement, and with respect, caring, teamwork, excellence and commitment to doing our personal best.
Join our team and our mission of excellence by applying today!