Search Our Jobs
Senior Clinical Nurse / Full-Time / Hamilton, MAJob ID 149857 Date posted 08/25/2018
Position Summary: Under the supervision of the Site Manager performs patient triage and has patient care responsibilities in support of multiple health care providers. Performs clinical, technical and clerical duties to insure quality patient care is provided. Also responsible for providing direction and leadership to staff resolving problems and overseeing day-to-day operations of clinical and/or clerical areas in conjunction with the Site Manager or in absence of Site Manger.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities including but not limited to:
1) Receive patient calls, assess/triage patients' medical concerns or needs, route calls to providers, and/or handle calls within scope of authority.
2) Monitor patient flow, escort patients to exam rooms, take and record patient vitals and patient histories.
3) Give routine injections and perform backup finger stick and venipuncture phlebotomy and dipstick urinalysis.
4) Prepare patients for procedures and assist providers with procedures (i.e. sigmoidoscopies, pelvis examinations, wart removal, dressing changes and surgical procedures.)
5) Perform electrocardiograms, holter monitor, spirometries and process and prepare labs and routine testing.
6) Control inventory of medical supplies and medications and/or office supplies and equipment. Order medical supplies and medications as needed. Monitor and replenish quantity of samples and expiration dates. Purge outdated samples as necessary. Maintain locked status of drug closet.
7) Interact with drug company representatives per established guidelines.
8) Take detailed messages for providers, return telephone calls or make follow-up calls to patients with information or providers instructions (i.e. normal test results and test preparations.)
9) Review patient medical charts prior to physical exam work-up to assess necessity of lab and x-ray tests to be scheduled.
10) Call in prescriptions to pharmacies per written instructions from physician or allied health professional.
11) Participates with Site Manager in hiring decision for medical assistants, nursing and phlebotomy staff. Assists with necessary training of new clinical staff.
12) Review and/or participate in hiring decision for medical assistants, nursing and phlebotomy staff. Assists with necessary training of new clinical staff.
13) Provide training for new clinical nurses, medical/clinical assistants and phlebotomists. Assist with ongoing direction, support and supervision to clinical staff.
14) Track time-off usage and coordinate vacation scheduling for the clinical staff as defined by the site guidelines.
15) Develop work schedules and monthly staffing rotation, distribute and monitor workload on a day-to-day basis. Keeps manager abreast of any potential staffing issues.
16) Conduct or participate in staff meetings to insure consistent and timely flow of communication.
17) In the absence of the manager, resolves physician, staff or patient complaints/problems when staff needs assistance.
18) Provide back up coverage for other clinical nurses, clinical assistants, medical assistants and phlebotomists as necessary.
19) Perform housekeeping, handle hazardous waste and keep exam rooms and code cart fully stocked, sterilize and maintain instruments using autoclave equipment.
20) Incorporates Lahey Clinic Guiding Principles , Mission Statement and Goals into daily activities.
21) Complies with all Lahey Clinic Policies.
22) Complies with behavioral expectations of the department and Lahey Clinic.
23) Maintains courteous and effective interactions with colleagues and patients.
24) Demonstrates an understanding of the job description, performance expectations, and competency assessment.
25) Demonstrates a commitment toward meeting and exceeding the needs of our customers and consistently adheres to Customer Service standards.
26) Participates in departmental and/or interdepartmental quality improvement activities.
27) Participates in and successfully completes Mandatory Education.
28) Performs all other duties as needed or directed to meet the needs of the department.
Education: Graduate of an accredited Registered Nurse or Licensed Practical Nurse program.
Licensure, Certification, Registration: LPN or RN licensed to practice in state of Massachusetts. Must maintain BLS certification.
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities: Excellent communication skills to effectively educate and assist patients and interface with providers and office staff. Ability to make sound decisions under pressure and respond to emergency situations. Demonstrated ability to handle confidential material. Must have organizational skills and ability to follow through with tasks.
Experience: Minimum of three years nursing experience with strong triage skills.
About Lahey Health
At Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, as one of the world's premier health care organizations, we provide superior health care leading to the best possible outcome for every patient. We exceed our patients' high expectations for service each day. We also help advance medicine through research and the education of tomorrow's health care leaders
We care for our patients with compassion and openness, unsurpassed expertise, a drive for continuous learning improvement, and with respect, caring, teamwork, excellence and commitment to doing our personal best.
Join our team and our mission of excellence by applying today!
How To Apply
Please apply directly online at http://www.laheyhealth.org/engage-with-us/careers. Use the Job ID number to quickly locate the appropriate job listing. Once you have located the desired job, click on the checkbox in the 'Select' column, and then click the 'Apply Now' button, located at the bottom of the screen. Please note you are only able to select 5 jobs at a time.
Lahey Colleagues please apply directly through Colleague Connection using your Login and Password.