Search Our Jobs
Employee Health LPNJob ID 149770 Date posted 08/18/2018
Essential Duties & Responsibilities: including but not limited to:
I. Clinical Judgment and Decision Making: A licensed practical nurse participates in direct and indirect nursing care, health maintenance, teaching, counseling, collaborative planning and rehabilitation, to the extent of his/her generic and continuing education and experience in order to:
A. Assess an individual?s basic health status, records and related health data.
B. Participate in analyzing and interpreting said recorded data, and making informed judgements as to the specific elements of nursing care mandated by a particular situation.
C. Participate in planning and implementing nursing intervention, including appropriate healthcare components in nursing care plans that take account of the most recent advancements in current knowledge in the field.
D. Incorporate the prescribed medical regimen in the nursing plan of care.
E. Participate in the health teaching required by the individual and family so as to maintain an optimal level of health care.
F. When appropriate, evaluate outcome of basic nursing intervention and initiate or encourage change in plans of care.
G. The LPN is expected to and is accountable for providing safe patient care by demonstrating organizational skills that maintain and coordinate safe delivery of quality care for assigned patients/families.
H. Participates in developing a culturally competent plan of care that identifies patient problems, expected outcomes, and addresses preventative measures. Respects the values (religious/spiritual, ethnic, cultural) of the patient and family
I. Delivers care that is specific to the age of the patient.
II. Collaborative Relationship: Collaborates, cooperates, and communicates with other health care providers
to ensure quality and continuity of care.
A. Establishes collaborative relationships with nurses, physicians, other colleagues, patients and families.
B. Educates the patient and family about the patient?s illness and treatment including preventative measures appropriate to the patient.
C. Supports Lahey Clinic?s commitment to community based activities both within the Lahey community and beyond.
III. Clinical Leadership: The qualified LPN, within the scope of his/her practice, is responsible for the nature
and quality of all nursing care that a patient receives under his/her direction. The ability to lead and
influence the reasoning of colleagues in the patient?s best interest depends on the conviction to act as
an ethical agent despite adverse consequences, and the ability to listen and enhance others? strengths.
A. Demonstrates appropriate behavior by adhering to unit policies and procedures and practice guidelines specific to the setting.
B. Demonstrates skills as a responsive team member.
C. Demonstrates role of LPN as teacher.
D. Demonstrate ability to fulfill role in Regulatory compliance and readiness.
IV. Clinical Scholarship: The Licensed Practical Nurse: achieves clinical scholarship through
experiences with patients, through collaboration with colleagues and leadership and through formal
education. Learning is transformed into knowledge through self-reflection and analysis.
A. Upholds standards of quality nursing care.
B. Demonstrates a commitment to life long learning.
1. Prepares patient for the appointment based upon the diagnosis, procedure and/or department protocols. Includes proper patient attire (gowns/shorts etc), proper pre-visit tests completed according to policy and, proper set-up for the procedure(s) to be performed etc.
2. Performs proper pre- visit procedures under direction of the physician or other health care provider prior to the patient?s visit (suture/staple removal/dressing removal/ cast removal).
3. Observes and reports any abnormal symptoms or behavior to appropriate licensed personnel.
4. Provides and reviews appropriate instructions to patients regarding any diagnostic test and procedure. Provides patient with written educational material, including diagnostic preparations, as necessary. Document that patient instructions were given, as well as patient?s response.
5. Assists in performing departmental procedures with the appropriate provider.
6. Performs or assists with the admission and transfer process.
7. Completes all documentation required to meet all applicable standards of practice.
8. Administers medications and treatments as directed by the physician or other health care provider in accordance with Lahey policy.
9. Ensures code cart equipment is functional and medications and supplies are current in accordance to policy.
10. Successfully completes Skills Fair on an annual basis.
11. Meets expectations of annual competency verification.
12. Maintains competencies identified in the orientations skills checklist and participates in educational programs provided.
1. Orients staff members and others to the department as requested.
2. Participates in Quality Assurance and CQI issues as well as to unsafe working conditions. Notifies manager of safety concerns. Participates in unit based QI activities and is familiar with unit measurement data.
3. Proficiently utilizes electronic medical record to enter and retrieve patient information.
4. Receives and communicates information through various processes, including (but not limited to) use of computers, Intranet, e-mail, hospital telephone system, and fax
5. Enters required information for prescription refills properly through electronic medical record.
Education: Graduate of a state approved and/or accredited School of Nursing
Licensure, Certification, Registration:
• Current license to practice nursing from the Massachusetts Board of Registration
• BLS certification.
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities:
Clinical Skills/Technical Knowledge
a. Demonstrates the necessary clinical skills and technical knowledge to provide care for patients according to Nursing Policy and Procedures. See Skill Record.
b. Demonstrates the necessary clinical skills and knowledge to provide care for patients according to the clinic-specific competencies. See Skill Record.
c. Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills.
Experience: A minimum of 1 year of medical/surgical nursing or nursing in a skilled nursing facility is required.
About Lahey Health
At Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, as one of the world's premier health care organizations, we provide superior health care leading to the best possible outcome for every patient. We exceed our patients' high expectations for service each day. We also help advance medicine through research and the education of tomorrow's health care leaders
We care for our patients with compassion and openness, unsurpassed expertise, a drive for continuous learning improvement, and with respect, caring, teamwork, excellence and commitment to doing our personal best.
Join our team and our mission of excellence by applying today!
How To Apply
Please apply directly online at http://www.laheyhealth.org/engage-with-us/careers. Use the Job ID number to quickly locate the appropriate job listing. Once you have located the desired job, click on the checkbox in the 'Select' column, and then click the 'Apply Now' button, located at the bottom of the screen. Please note you are only able to select 5 jobs at a time.
Lahey Colleagues please apply directly through Colleague Connection using your Login and Password.