Search Our Jobs
Clinician, Emergency Psychiatric ServicesJob ID 149542 Date posted 08/04/2018
The incumbent is responsible for providing psychiatric evaluation, follow up, and psychiatric inpatient placement of patients in the emergency department and on the medical units, as requested by the attending physician.
1. Psychiatric evaluation, consultation, and follow up
• Provide comprehensive assessment of patients including evaluation of safety and need for inpatient psychiatric admission
• Incorporate information obtained from collateral sources into the assessment
• Conduct mental status exam and complete diagnostic formulation with treatment recommendations
• Provide ongoing re-assessment and monitoring of patients as required/requested
• Establish and maintain communication with patient and collaterals regarding assessment and recommendations
• Communicate assessment information and recommendations effectively and efficiently to attending physician and other members of the care team
• Communicate necessary information to insurance to obtain authorization for placement
• Communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, to next provider in order to obtain appropriate care and disposition for patient
3. Referral and placement
• Complete referrals as necessary, based on recommendations, including appropriate placement in an inpatient facility
• Complete required documentation in the patient?s medical record
• Complete required paperwork for purposes of program data gathering
• Complete required billing sheets for Patient Accounts
5. Insurance Verification/Authorization
• Identify correct behavioral health insurance for patients
• Contact insurance and provides necessary information to obtain authorization as necessary for next level of care
• Document authorization information
? Masters? degree in Social Work, Psychology or related field.
• Independent professional license strongly preferred.
• Experience conducting psychiatric evaluation of adults and children, knowledge of level of care/medical necessity criteria, basic knowledge of behavioral health insurance processes as applicable to emergency psychiatry
• Must be fluent in English, strong verbal and writing skills
• Minimum 5 yrs. clinical experience post-Masters/Ph.D.
20 hours, part-time
Position requires sitting and standing for up to one half hour at a time, extensive use of telephone and computer, infrequent breaks