Search Our Jobs
Financial Counselor 1st ShiftJob ID 149205 Date posted 08/15/2018
Under the Director of Referral Management, the Financial Counselor is primarily responsible for acting as a liaison between patients and the institution to assist with billing concerns and the uninsured population. The Financial Counselor will provide information with regard to billing statements, pricing estimates, free care, Medicaid information and the managed care process. The Financial Counselor will also provide customer conflict resolution and service recovery.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities including but not limited to:
1) Responsible for interviewing patients who present in person to discuss billing issues.
2) Discusses and documents in patient record any issues resulting from collection notices, statements, and other Lahey related billing and insurance issues.
3) Refers patients to Patient Financial Services for adjustment, ordering of bills or billing errors.
4) Provides estimate to patients either orally or in writing.
5) Collects payment for self-pay patients and payments with outstanding balances in accordance with PFS policy and procedures.
6) Assists and screens patients for Free Care and Medicaid eligibility. Provides patients with appropriate forms.
7) Visits patients, when appropriate, in the hospital to discuss payment options.
8) Addresses Managed Care concerns with patients who ask to meet with a Lahey representative.
9) Collects and provides information to Director on patients whose cases are to be submitted for charity approval.
10) Works on projects as assigned.
11) Adheres to all corporate and governmental compliance issues as directed.
12) Incorporates Lahey Clinic Guiding Principles and Mission Statement into daily activities.
13) Complies with all Lahey Clinic Policies.
14) Complies with behavioral expectations of the department and Lahey Clinic.
15) Maintains courteous and effective interactions with colleagues and patients.
16) Demonstrates an understanding of job description, performance expectations, and competency assessment..
17) Demonstrates a commitment toward meeting and exceeding the needs of our customers and consistently adheres to our Customer Service standards.
18) Participates in departmental and/or interdepartmental quality improvement activities.
19) Participates in and successfully completes Mandatory Education.
20) Performs all other duties as needed or directed to meet the needs of the department.
Education: High School Diploma or equivalent.
Licensure, Certification, Registration: None required
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities: General understanding of hospital and professional billing procedures. Excellent customer service skills. Excellent written and oral communication and interpersonal skills required. Must exhibit tact, diplomacy and discretion at all times. Must be able to multi-task and work in a fast-paced, detail oriented environment. Working knowledge of MS office suite and database systems with the ability to learn new systems as they become available. In the absence of any of these skills, must demonstrate the ability to be thoroughly trained to meet organizational standards.
Experience: Two to three years experience in a hospital-billing environment.
DAYS. 8 hour shifts Monday through Friday.
About Lahey Health
At Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, as one of the world's premier health care organizations, we provide superior health care leading to the best possible outcome for every patient. We exceed our patients' high expectations for service each day. We also help advance medicine through research and the education of tomorrow's health care leaders
We care for our patients with compassion and openness, unsurpassed expertise, a drive for continuous learning improvement, and with respect, caring, teamwork, excellence and commitment to doing our personal best.
Join our team and our mission of excellence by applying today!
How To Apply
Please apply directly online at http://www.laheyhealth.org/engage-with-us/careers. Use the Job ID number to quickly locate the appropriate job listing. Once you have located the desired job, click on the checkbox in the 'Select' column, and then click the 'Apply Now' button, located at the bottom of the screen. Please note you are only able to select 5 jobs at a time.
Lahey Colleagues please apply directly through Colleague Connection using your Login and Password.