Search Our Jobs
Patient Access Specialist /40hrs Days/PeabodyJob ID 148976 Date posted 07/11/2018
Essential Duties & Responsibilities including but not limited to:
- Initiates patient scheduling activities by prioritizing and accessing a variety of sources, including patient phone calls, orders, recall lists, scheduled order work queues and MyChart.
- Utilizes a variety of information sources to schedule, reschedule and cancel patient appointments. Information sources include online questionnaires, offline materials and subgroup searches.
- Establishes working relationship with staff of assigned clinical departments. Understands and correctly applies unique clinical department scheduling protocols.
- Remains current on scheduling protocols and applies judgment, or seeks management assistance, to ensure safe patient care when clinical department scheduling protocols do not meet patient needs.
- Ensures all required key patient scheduling and registration information is captured and verified. Key information includes referring physician information, insurance coverage, demographics and contact information.
- Identifies and communicates to Patient Access management issues that may impact the timeliness and accuracy of patient appointments and subsequent patient care.
- Efficiently registers patients, capturing and verifying all required information in order to identify the patient, contact the patient, and receive proper reimbursement for services on initial claim submission.
- Ascertains, creates and assigns the guarantor for each patient, including personal/family relations, workers compensation insurance, third parties, behavioral health or others as required.
- Identifies, records and verifies patient insurance coverage using real time eligibility (RTE); reviews the insurers response to each verification request and takes appropriate action based on this response.
- Applies the appropriate guarantor and insurance to each patient visit.
- Communicates financial clearance status to patients. Advises patients of self-pay status and payment responsibility and schedules patients with Financial Counseling as needed.
- Registers patients presenting for visits. Explains the registration process to patients and responds to patient questions.
- Processes patient co-payments, co-insurance, deductibles and balances due. - Safeguards cash, checks and receipts and reconciles cash drawer at end of each business day. Assists patients with Kiosk check-in as needed.
- Completes the Medicare Secondary Payor Questionnaire for each patient and adjusts patient coverage based on results.
- Instructs patients and obtains signatures on consent forms, financial forms and other documents required by the clinical department; distributes documents to patients; scans, processes and records receipt of all documents collected during registration encounter.
- Counsels patients regarding non-covered services, obtaining signatures on Advance Notice Beneficiaries (ABNs) and waivers.
- Monitors patient waiting area for a smooth, efficient registration flow. Advises patients of potential delays and takes steps to ensure a pleasant patient experience.
- Completes registrations on inpatient units who may be missing information from their original registration
- Responds to patient concerns and potential patient safety issues accordingly. Recognizes health conditions that are a possible risk to others and adheres to appropriate established procedures to help contain risk.
- Assures a neat, orderly registration desk and patient waiting area, securing all confidential patient information.
Education: High school degree or equivalent
Licensure, Certification & Registration: None
Prior experience in a business setting providing customer service, while processing and verifying electronic demographic, financial or other business-related information and data.
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities:
Able to work successfully in a fast-paced, multi-task environment, where some independent decision making is necessary. Able to process electronic information and data accurately and efficiently.
DAYS/ Monday - Friday 8 hour shifts
How To Apply
Please apply directly online at http://www.laheyhealth.org/engage-with-us/careers. Use the Job ID number to quickly locate the appropriate job listing. Once you have located the desired job, click on the checkbox in the 'Select' column, and then click the 'Apply Now' button, located at the bottom of the screen. Please note you are only able to select 5 jobs at a time.
Lahey Colleagues please apply directly through Colleague Connection using your Login and Password.