Search Our Jobs
Admissions Counselor, 16 hoursJob ID 148478 Date posted 05/25/2018
Incumbent is responsible for completing registration of patients in a behavioral health setting, verifying insurance eligibility, entering insurance authorizations, signing patients in to the hospital, triage of incoming phone calls to the admissions area and providing administrative and clerical support services to management and clinical staff.
1. Obtaining demographic and insurance information in order to complete patient registration in EPIC.
2. Orienting patients to the inpatient hospital setting and explaining admission process.
3. Complete the admissions process, obtaining patient consent to treatment, explaining legal status and review patient rights.
4. Verifying insurance coverage and documenting insurance verification and authorizations.
5. Assist in maintaining safety in patient area by responding to patient needs and inquiries, keeping patients informed of admission progress and escorting patients to the unit.
6. Provide referral information to patients that do not meet criteria for admission.
7. Offer information, referral & crisis intervention service to persons telephoning or visiting the site.
8. Other duties as assigned.
Listens and gets clarification when needed; responds well to questions. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills both verbal and written.
Minimum HS diploma, Bachelors or Associates degree preferred
Knowledge of electronic medical records, knowledge of behavioral health insurance coverage
Ability to interact with patients and colleagues in a professional manner, good customer service skills, able to multi-task and work in a fast-paced, multi-person office, comfortable with behavioral health patient population
Minimum 1-2 years experience in hospital registration/admission/insurance verification
Fluent in English with ability to communicate well both verbally and in writing
16 hours, part-time
Must possess mobility to work in a standard office setting and to use standard office equipment, including a computer and telephone, and to attend meetings at various sites; strength to lift and carry materials weighing up to 10 pounds; must be able to lift up to 50 lbs occasionally, vision to read printed materials and a computer screen; and hearing and speech to communicate in person and over the telephone.