Search Our Jobs
Dietitian Specialist - Gain Acute Care Experience - 8 hours 1st shift - weekendsJob ID 148422 Date posted 07/12/2018
Under the general supervision of the Clinical Manager, the Dietitian Specialist in Nutrition Support assesses the nutritional status and plans nutritional intervention and care for patients in the Surgical Intensive Care Unit and all hospitalized patients receiving total parenteral nutrition. Provides care to critically ill patients. Instructs dietitians, students, resident fellows and nursing staff on principles of nutrition support; acts as a liaison with home care companies. Develops and promotes collaborative practice and collegial relationships with physicians and other disciplines as a member of the multidisciplinary healthcare team.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities including but not limited to:
1) Screens patient medical record and assesses patients within 24 hours of identification.
2) Utilizes the medical record to obtain pertinent objective data.
3) Completes a comprehensive assessment based on medical record data and/or interview with the patient/family or other members of the healthcare team.
4) Calculates metabolic needs, ie energy, protein, fluid and other specific nutrients.
5) Recommends appropriate nutrition support based on subjective and objective data.
6) Assesses patients based on religious, cultural and ethnic beliefs.
7) Documents nutrition care plan within established time frame based on standards of care.
8) Documents desired outcomes specific to the individual patient problem(s), diagnosis (s), learning capabilities/limitations and progress towards established goals.
9) Documents care plan legibly and signs appropriately.
10) Requests from physicians additional data needed for thorough evaluations (i.e. lab values, urine collection, weight) and adjusts nutrition care plan accordingly.
11) Reviews care plan/TPN orders on a daily basis and revises care plan according to patient progress or lack of progress toward goals.
12) Executes nutrition interventions in accordance with the latest research in nutrition support, physiology and scientific knowledge.
13) In conjunction with the Nutrition Support Service, reviews lab data for home TPN patients, adjusts TPN prescription based on lab values. Coordinates transition off TPN to resumption of oral diet.
14) Educates patients based on cultural, religious and ethnic beliefs.
15) Individualizes patient education materials based on patient age and comprehension levels.
16) Documents education including evidence of family teaching (as applicable), measurable understanding of principles discussed and assessment of anticipated compliance.
17) Counsels patients on potential food/drug interactions with respect to coumadin, lithium and MAO Inhibitors.
18) Communicates nutrition care information when patients are transferred to the care of staff dietitians; remains available for staff consultation and input on the care of the patient following transition.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
19) Informs Nurses, Case Managers and other members of the healthcare team of any changes in nutritional status, progress or education that will impact the discharge plan.
20) Completes Page 3 referral form to communicate nutrition intervention to extended care facilities, home care agencies, etc.
21) In conjunction with the case managers, makes referrals for home TPN and incorporates patients into Nutrition Support Service to monitor TPN/patient progress on an outpatient basis.
22) In the Ambulatory Clinic, evaluates appropriateness and effectiveness of therapy for patients receiving home nutrition support. Adjusts the nutrition prescription regimen as needed to meet patient?s nutritional requirements and re-educates patient/caretaker as indicated.
23) Documents all outpatient clinic visits in the clinic medical record.
24) Documents pertinent intervention information in patient?s HealthTouch for Nutrition Care Coordinators? use.
25) Maintains accurate weekly productivity logs.
26) Precepts dietetic students.
27) Completes rotating consults within 24 hours.
28) Maintains strict adherence to the Lahey Clinic Confidentiality policy.
29) Incorporates Lahey Clinic Guiding Principles and Mission Statement into daily activities.
30) Complies with all Lahey Clinic Policies.
31) Complies with behavioral expectations of the department and Lahey Clinic.
32) Maintains courteous and effective interactions with colleagues and patients.
33) Demonstrates an understanding of job description, performance expectations, and competency assessment..
34) Demonstrates a commitment toward meeting and exceeding the needs of our customers and consistently adheres to our Customer Service standards.
35) Participates in departmental and/or interdepartmental quality improvement activities.
36) Participates in and successfully completes Mandatory Education.
37) Performs all other duties as needed or directed to meet the needs of the department.
Education: BS in Nutrition Science, Nutrition Education, or related degree.
Licensure, Certification, Registration: Registered Dietitian with the Commission on Dietetic Registration, and certification as a Nutrition Support Clinician (CNSC) with the American Society of Parental and Enteral Nutrition (ASPEN).
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities: Knowledge and facility with the body of knowledge supporting clinical field. In the absence of any of the identified skills, must demonstrate the ability to be trained in order to meet organizational standards.
Experience: 2 years of recent clinical experience in an acute care setting providing care to adult and geriatric patients with a portion of that time spent in delivering nutrition support.
DAYS, 8hrs; Saturday/Sunday, every other weekend.
About Lahey Health
At Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, as one of the world's premier health care organizations, we provide superior health care leading to the best possible outcome for every patient. We exceed our patients' high expectations for service each day. We also help advance medicine through research and the education of tomorrow's health care leaders
We care for our patients with compassion and openness, unsurpassed expertise, a drive for continuous learning improvement, and with respect, caring, teamwork, excellence and commitment to doing our personal best.
Join our team and our mission of excellence by applying today!
How To Apply
Please apply directly online at http://www.laheyhealth.org/engage-with-us/careers. Use the Job ID number to quickly locate the appropriate job listing. Once you have located the desired job, click on the checkbox in the 'Select' column, and then click the 'Apply Now' button, located at the bottom of the screen. Please note you are only able to select 5 jobs at a time.
Lahey Colleagues please apply directly through Colleague Connection using your Login and Password.