Search Our Jobs
Peer SpecialistJob ID 148327 Date posted 05/17/2018
Works as part of the Emergency Services Program staff to provide a safe and welcoming environment for the client presenting for mental health crisis evaluations in the ED, clinic, or during mobile evaluations.
Essential Functions/Key Responsibilities:
1. Provides a welcoming environment for the client while in the Community Based Clinic, or Emergency Department.
2. Provides comfort items as needed i.e. food, encouragement, support, activities while waiting.
3. Works collaboratively with the ESP evaluator and assists in arranging services to which the individual is being referred.
4. Ensures that the client understands what is happening during the evaluation process and assists with communication.
5. Shares skills learned that have been useful in managing stress in the community.
6. Engages appropriately with clients to support them in identifying strengths, existing supports and community resources.
7. Assists and supports clients in the Crisis Stabilization Unit as needed.
8. Other related duties as assigned.
Bachelor degree preferred, other education/training/experience considered. Have personal knowledge of mental illness via their own lived experience with recovery. Currently have Certification as a Peer Specialist or willing to obtain within 6 months of employment.
Demonstrates good boundaries regarding confidentiality and personal relationships, while at the same time be able to share personal knowledge about recovering from mental illness.
Demonstrates strong knowledge and skills regarding the recovery process.
Demonstrates the ability to evaluate what is needed by each individual and adjust approach accordingly. Have in-depth knowledge of local resources.
Full-time 40 hours
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and talk or hear. Sitting or standing for long periods of time, typical of an office or emergency room is also required. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and ability to adjust focus.