Search Our Jobs
Phlebotomist 24 hrs 1st ShiftJob ID 148048 Date posted 05/02/2018
Under the general supervision of the Laboratory Manager, performs venipuncture and capillary punctures on adult and pediatric patients. This position requires the use of several computer systems (MISYS, LCMC, and IDX). Processing of specimens for analysis may be required. Phlebotomists rotate weekends and holidays, and work at off-site locations as needed.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities including but not limited to:
1. Prepares workspace and/or collection cart in advance of collection with all essential supplies to efficiently procure specimens.
2. Greets patients and explains procedure in a professional and courteous manner. Reassures each patient to make them comfortable with the procedure.
3. Verifies patient identification according to Lahey Clinic policy for inpatients and outpatients.
4. Enters required information into the Laboratory computer system by documenting orders, hours p.c., last dose (if necessary), collect date and time, receive date and time, and phlebotomy code. Ensures proper forms accompany specimens according to Lahey Clinic policy. Cancels and credits tests that cannot be collected, documents information in computer, and notifies appropriate personnel. Collects required insurance information from patient when necessary.
5. Performs proficient venipuncture according to the National Certifying Agency for Clinical Laboratory Standards (NCCLS) including proper site preparation, proper venipuncture technique, and use of proper collection devices/tubes.
6. Properly label specimens in accordance with Lahey Clinic policy to provide accurately identified specimens.
7. Delivers specimens within established time frame and follows special handling instructions for relevant specimens in order to maintain integrity of specimen and facilitate specimen processing.
8. Processes specimens for analysis according to written protocols.
9. Incorporates Lahey Clinic Guiding Principles , Mission Statement and Goals into daily activities.
10. Complies with all Lahey Clinic Policies.
11. Complies with behavioral expectations of the department and Lahey Clinic.
12. Maintains courteous and effective interactions with colleagues and patients.
13. Demonstrates an understanding of the job description, performance expectations, and competency assessment.
14. Demonstrates a commitment toward meeting and exceeding the needs of our customers and consistently adheres to Customer Service standards.
15. Participates in departmental and/or interdepartmental quality improvement activities.
16. Participates in and successfully completes Mandatory Education.
17. Performs all other duties as needed or directed to meet the needs of the department.
Education: High school diploma or equivalent
Licensure, Certification, Registration: Certification by American Society of Clinical Pathologists (ASCP) Board of Registry preferred but not required.
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities:
- Manual dexterity and acuity necessary to perform venipuncture accurately.
- Interpersonal verbal and written English language skills sufficient to exchange information with patients, physicians and other colleagues.
- Ability to work accurately under pressure and to handle stress of high patient volume.
- Basic computer skills.
- In the absence of these skills, demonstrates the ability to be thoroughly trained to meet organizational standards.
Experience: Prior related customer service experience required.
DAYS, 8 hour shifts with every 4th weekend.
About Lahey Health
At Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, as one of the world's premier health care organizations, we provide superior health care leading to the best possible outcome for every patient. We exceed our patients' high expectations for service each day. We also help advance medicine through research and the education of tomorrow's health care leaders
We care for our patients with compassion and openness, unsurpassed expertise, a drive for continuous learning improvement, and with respect, caring, teamwork, excellence and commitment to doing our personal best.
Join our team and our mission of excellence by applying today!
How To Apply
Please apply directly online at http://www.laheyhealth.org/engage-with-us/careers. Use the Job ID number to quickly locate the appropriate job listing. Once you have located the desired job, click on the checkbox in the 'Select' column, and then click the 'Apply Now' button, located at the bottom of the screen. Please note you are only able to select 5 jobs at a time.
Lahey Colleagues please apply directly through Colleague Connection using your Login and Password.