Search Our Jobs
Lab Svcs Specialist/Part Time/IpswichJob ID 148016 Date posted 09/01/2018
Position Summary: Under the direct supervision of the Site Manager and the general supervision of the Laboratory Manager independently performs venipuncture and capillary punctures on adult and pediatric patients and is familiar with patient and specimen requirements. Performs processing of specimens and routes specimens to the appropriate laboratory for analysis. Performs a variety of clerical duties associated with the operation of the Lahey Health EPIC EHR. Performs special projects as assigned. May be required to work at off-site locations as needed. Acts as a preceptor for new phlebotomy staff as needed or directed by the Site Manager or Laboratory Manager. Performs laboratory waived testing and quality control. Responsible for daily documentation to include refrigerator and room temperature.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities including but not limited to:
1) Centrifuge blood and prepare specimens in a timely manner in preparation for courier pickup/laboratory testing.
2) Perform dipstick urinalysis; urine pregnancy testing and rapid strep testing; collect urine and throat culture specimens and prepare for submission to the Laboratory.
3) Performs and documents daily, weekly and monthly quality control of laboratory testing in accordance with Lahey Health Primary Care CGP SOP and manufacturer guidelines.
4) Perform testing (i.e. electrocardiograms, spirometry testing, vision and hearing testing and glucose monitoring): Site Specific.
5) Perform Laboratory housekeeping, handle hazardous waste and maintain laboratory inventory.
6) Acts as preceptor for new phlebotomy staff as needed and requested by Site Manager or Laboratory Manager.
7) Maintain established departmental policies and procedures, objectives, quality assurance programs, safety, environment and infection control standards.
8) Achieves and maintains Basic Life Support (BLS) certification through American Heart Association, according to departmental standards (within one year).
9) Adheres to all corporate policies relating to patient identification and specimen labeling in the ambulatory environment.
10) Prepare packing lists for specimen transport to Burlington/Peabody, ensure all specimens have been processed appropriately utilizing specimen outstanding list and send out bench list.
General Expectations include but are not limited to:
• Verifies patient identification according to Lahey Health Policy for outpatients only.
• Must be able to perform venipunctures on a minimum of 6 outpatients/hr.
11) Incorporates Lahey Clinic Guiding Principles, Mission Statement and Goals into daily activities.
12) Complies with all Lahey Clinic Policies.
13) Complies with behavioral expectations of the department and Lahey Clinic.
14) Maintains courteous and effective interactions with colleagues and patients.
15) Demonstrates an understanding of the job description, performance expectations, and competency assessment.
16) Demonstrates a commitment toward meeting and exceeding the needs of our customers and consistently adheres to Customer Service standards.
17) Participates in departmental and/or interdepartmental quality improvement activities.
18) Participates in and successfully completes Mandatory Education.
19) Performs all other duties as needed or directed to meet the needs of the department.
Education: High school graduate or equivalent.
Licensure, Certification, Registration: Completion of phlebotomy certification program with externship is preferred but not required. Additional certification by American Society of Clinical Pathologists (ASCP) Board of Registry is preferred but not required.
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities: Organized, accurate and detail oriented. Good interpersonal skills to effectively interact with patients and providers. Ability to work in a fast-paced, high volume environment required.
1+ years of phlebotomy experience and demonstrated proficiency in the phlebotomy field.
About Lahey Health
At Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, as one of the world's premier health care organizations, we provide superior health care leading to the best possible outcome for every patient. We exceed our patients' high expectations for service each day. We also help advance medicine through research and the education of tomorrow's health care leaders
We care for our patients with compassion and openness, unsurpassed expertise, a drive for continuous learning improvement, and with respect, caring, teamwork, excellence and commitment to doing our personal best.
Join our team and our mission of excellence by applying today!
How To Apply
Please apply directly online at http://www.laheyhealth.org/engage-with-us/careers. Use the Job ID number to quickly locate the appropriate job listing. Once you have located the desired job, click on the checkbox in the 'Select' column, and then click the 'Apply Now' button, located at the bottom of the screen. Please note you are only able to select 5 jobs at a time.
Lahey Colleagues please apply directly through Colleague Connection using your Login and Password.