Search Our Jobs
Medical Technologist PER DIEM Blood BankJob ID 147746 Date posted 04/22/2018
Under the general supervision of the Blood Bank Manager, performs a variety of Transfusion Medicine testing and blood product related duties . Performs start-up, maintenance, and troubleshooting procedures on the Blood Bank analyzers and equipment. Performs quality control and quality assurance procedures as required. Reports results via computer as well as communicates with clinical staff. Special assignments may include training of new employees, students, or residents as well as procedures supporting the autologous stem cell transplant program. Coverage includes rotating weekends and holidays.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities including but are not limited to:
1. Verify sample identification, acceptability of sample, and appropriateness of order according to written procedures.
2. Handle each specimen according to written procedure and perform follow-up procedures on rejected samples according to protocol.
3. Perform testing using Blood Bank analyzer(s) as well as by traditional manual testing within established turnaround times..
4. Recognize unusual or unreasonable results. Consult with manager or appropriate personnel about complex antibody problems or difficulty in ABO testing.
5. Perform and document required QC/QA procedures according to established protocols. Recognize existing or potential out of control situations. Notify manager or appropriate senior Blood Bank staff member.
6. Perform surveys by testing, recording, and reporting results accurately.
8 Perform component modification such as thawing, irradiating, and washing/deglycerolizing RBCs as needed.
9. Perform scheduled maintenance and required documentation on instruments and equipment. Notify manager and/or PM coordinator of unresolved problems.
1. Receive, test, store, and issue blood products following established protocols.
2. Pack blood products for shipping to other facilities.
3. Monitor proper temperature of all storage units.
4. Thaw plasma and cryoprecipitate.
5. Irradiate red blood cell and platelet products.
6. Wash or deglycerolize red blood cell products.
7. Correctly document product modification in the computer, Label and label verify products following modification.
8. Issue blood using established Uncrossmatched and Massive Transfusion Protocols.
1. Contribute to department goal of optimization of resources and revenue enhancement.
2. Maintain appropriate inventory of blood products and all reagents and supplies.
General Expectations including but are not limited to:
1. Incorporate Lahey Clinic Guiding Principles and Mission Statement and Goals into daily activities.
2. Comply with all Lahey Hospital & Medical Center department specific policies.
3. Follow established safety procedures as stated in the Laboratory Safety and Infection Control Manuals.
4. Participate in and successfully complete Mandatory Education.
5. Comply with behavioral expectations of the department and Lahey Hospital & Medical Center.
6. Establish and maintain courteous and effective interactions with patients and colleagues.
7. Demonstrate an understanding of job description, performance expectations, and competency assessment.
8. Demonstrate a commitment toward meeting and exceeding the needs of our customers and consistently adhere to our customer service standards.
9. Demonstrate commitment to stay current in scientific knowledge by completing 6 hrs/yr of continuing education.
10. Participate in departmental and/or interdepartmental quality improvement activities.
11. Performs all other duties as needed or directed to meet the needs of the department.
Education: Associates degree including laboratory internship at an institution certified by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS).
Licensure, Certification, Registration: Certification eligible by American Society of Clinical Pathologists (ASCP) Board of Registry or the National Certification Agency (NCA) or by American Medical Technologists (AMT) for Medical Laboratory personnel.
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities:
- Knowledge of clinical tests and standards necessary to perform complex tests and accurately report result.
- Analytic ability to perform complex tests, calculations, and calibrate instruments, etc.
- Ability to identify clinical testing problems.
- Ability to concentrate for long periods of time, utilize good judgment, work accurately under pressure and handle stress to met deadlines.
- Manual dexterity and acuity necessary to prepare specimens, prepare solutions, screen specimens, and operate instrumentation and a computer.
- Interpersonal verbal and written English language skills sufficient to exchange information with physicians and other colleagues.
- Skill in the use of personal computers and related software applications.
- In the absence of these skills, demonstrates the ability to be thoroughly trained to meet organizational standards.
Experience: Laboratory internship at an institution certified by the NAACLS.
VARIABLE/PER DIEM DAYS, as needed
About Lahey Health
At Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, as one of the world's premier health care organizations, we provide superior health care leading to the best possible outcome for every patient. We exceed our patients' high expectations for service each day. We also help advance medicine through research and the education of tomorrow's health care leaders
We care for our patients with compassion and openness, unsurpassed expertise, a drive for continuous learning improvement, and with respect, caring, teamwork, excellence and commitment to doing our personal best.
Join our team and our mission of excellence by applying today!
How To Apply
Please apply directly online at http://www.laheyhealth.org/engage-with-us/careers. Use the Job ID number to quickly locate the appropriate job listing. Once you have located the desired job, click on the checkbox in the 'Select' column, and then click the 'Apply Now' button, located at the bottom of the screen. Please note you are only able to select 5 jobs at a time.
Lahey Colleagues please apply directly through Colleague Connection using your Login and Password.