Search Our Jobs
Awake Overnight Counselor, ALPJob ID 147646 Date posted 04/22/2018
The Awake Overnight Residential Counselor is responsible for observing youth during overnight and early morning hours to ensure safety, clerical work and youth management. Assists in the coordination of residential services and provides professional treatment and care to youth. The position provides quality youth care and close intensive supervision of youth in a 24 hour residential treatment setting. In addition, this position is responsible for providing a range of residential counseling and skills training services to youth.
Essential Functions/Key Responsibilities:
1. Provides a nurturing environment and close, intensive supervision and security for all youth in the residential treatment program. Maintains a physically safe environment and always cognizant of ratio requirements.
2. Assures youth?s basic needs are met ensuring high standards for nutrition, exercise, and overall wellness for all youth.
3. When appropriate, teaches healthy living skills and conducts recreational and social activities enhancing skill acquisition.
4. Monitors activities and whereabouts of youth and assures that youths? nightly/daily schedule is followed.
5. Trained in medication administration according to the policies and procedures set forth by the organization.
6. Notify Nurse on-call or administrator on-call for support to report any medical or milieu issues that arise.
7. Utilizes therapeutic crisis intervention techniques appropriately with youth through clear, specific, timely and respectful feedback. Models healthy interactions and respectful communication with youth.
8. Effectively communicates behavior choices to youth, outlining the positive and negative consequences of their choices.
9. Communication is adjusted to meet the youth?s developmental level and style of communication. Relates to youth objectively and fairly, giving consideration to the youth?s individual needs.
10. Completes all youth reports, plans and records in a timely manner in accordance with program procedures and funding contract standards. Completes all incident reports and life skills interviews as required.
11. Responsible for maintaining all training requirements/certifications. Examples include, but not limited to, Mandated Reporter Training, TCI, Boundaries, CPR, First Aid etc.
12. Participates and prepares appropriate documentation for all meeting and case reviews as required.
13. Works collaboratively within a team of co-workers; maintains communication with co-workers throughout shift and across shifts, keeping them apprised of therapeutic issues. Consults with team and follows through with recommendations.
14. Conducts routine bed checks (within 15-30 minute time spans) and documents the times and results as required.
15. Remains awake and alert at all times.
16. Meets other shift coverage responsibilities including but not limited to coordination of daily/shift activities, wake-up and daily chore activities, household and office upkeep tasks, coordinates school transportation issues, etc.
17. Completes all documentation as required regarding contract specifications.
18. Attends supervision and integrates feedback into work performance.
19. Reads, understands and follows all policies and protocols in an effort to provide youth with appropriate and required care.
20. Participates in on-call duties/requirements.
21. As needed, covers shifts at other programs within the youth division.
22. Other related duties as required.
Must be at least 21 years of age. Experience working with culturally diverse youths preferred.
Must demonstrate ability to relate and desire work with a diverse adolescent population in a sensitive manner, an interest and willingness to work in a multicultural setting and must share a customer service orientation. Manages difficult or emotional situations; responds promptly to youth needs. Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming and maintains confidentiality.
Must have possession of current driver's license, access to a vehicle and personal automobile insurance.
Computer literate in standard desktop applications such as Windows, Word, and Excel.
Thurs-Sat 11 PM- 9 AM
Part time 30 hours per week
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to walk. The employee is occasionally required to stand and sit. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.