Search Our Jobs
Respiratory Care Practitioner Per DiemJob ID 147511 Date posted 07/17/2018
This position reports directly to the Clinical Director Respiratory Therapy and receives day to day oversight from the Respiratory Supervisors. The Respiratory Care Practitioner performs respiratory care related duties to all age groups. The Respiratory Care Practitioner is responsible for direct patient care within their scope of services in accordance with state licensure, and the Registration Board of Respiratory Care. The Respiratory Care Practitioner works under physician orders, follows departmental and Lahey Hospital & Medical Center policies
The Respiratory Care Practitioner utilizes a high level of critical thinking skills, must have the ability to apply the appropriate best-practice, be objective and receptive to others? points of view with regard to patient care issues.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities including but not limited to:
RESPIRATORY THERAPIST BURLINGTON
- Provides direct patient care under physician orders and within the scope of services and licensure laws
- Works collaboratively with providers
- Reviews current orders in area of responsibility and ensures patients receive treatments as ordered
- Administers medications via hand held nebulizer, MDI and new modes of delivery as established
- Assesses patients throughout the treatment and interventions cycle
- Completes and updates plans of care
- Ensures ventilator parameters are set according to physician orders
- Enters set and actual patient settings on flow sheets
- Checks and documents alarm parameters
- Completes documentation legibly
- Assesses and performs daily spontaneous breathing trial
- Calibrates inhaled nitric oxide system
- Administers inhaled nitric oxide in cardiac catherization laboratory, through ventilator and assists with administration of nitric oxide in the operating room.
- Administers helium-oxygen therapy
- Sets up BIPAP and adjusts parameters per augmentation order set
- Sets up patients on Non Invasive Ventilation
- Performs non bronchial alveolar lavage procedures
- Assists during procedures
- Assists ventilated patients during transport
- Assists to transition ventilator patients on EMS portable ventilators until transfer occurs
- Responds to MET calls, codes blue, trauma calls and other emergencies
- Performs CPR as needed
- Participates with collaborative research projects
- Draws arterial blood gases and sends to laboratory for analysis
- Performs bedside spirometry, negative inspiratory force and vital capacity measurements
- Takes initiative to review equipment and procedures to remain proficient
- Assists and responds to nurses regarding questions on respiratory related issues
- Participates on committees or task forces
- Demonstrates flexibility to accept assignments
- Develops proficiency in new respiratory practices and initiatives
- Completes patient charges, daily events, equipment set up and testing inclusive of sticker check off
- Ensures frequent visibility when covering critical care areas; attends provider rounds
- Organizes and manages time and workflow effectively
- Maintains a patient focused and centric approach
- Associates degree in Respiratory Therapy from an Accredited School of Respiratory Therapy.
Licensure, Certification, Registration:
- Massachusetts License
- Certified Respiratory Therapist - Registered Respiratory Therapist Preferred
- Current BLS certification with American Heart Association
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities:
Excellent interpersonal skills
- Working knowlegde of PC's.
- Excellent Oral and Written Communication skills.
- Ability to impart specialized clinical and medical information to members of the health care team; physician, nurses
3 years minimum as a Staff Respiratory Therapist with a focus on critical care
VARIABLE, day, night, and weekend hours off shift availability expected
About Lahey Health
At Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, as one of the world's premier health care organizations, we provide superior health care leading to the best possible outcome for every patient. We exceed our patients' high expectations for service each day. We also help advance medicine through research and the education of tomorrow's health care leaders
We care for our patients with compassion and openness, unsurpassed expertise, a drive for continuous learning improvement, and with respect, caring, teamwork, excellence and commitment to doing our personal best.
Join our team and our mission of excellence by applying today!
How To Apply
Please apply directly online at http://www.laheyhealth.org/engage-with-us/careers. Use the Job ID number to quickly locate the appropriate job listing. Once you have located the desired job, click on the checkbox in the 'Select' column, and then click the 'Apply Now' button, located at the bottom of the screen. Please note you are only able to select 5 jobs at a time.
Lahey Colleagues please apply directly through Colleague Connection using your Login and Password.