Search Our Jobs
Interpreter Per DiemJob ID 147515 Date posted 04/22/2018
Under the general supervision of the Supervisor of Interpreter Services and within established hospital, clinic and departmental policies and procedures, performs patient interpreting and scheduling functions for patients in a variety of healthcare setting as determined by business needs. Interprets for patients and families with limited or no English language proficiency in their interactions with care providers and other hospital personnel at all Lahey Hospital and Medical Center Sites.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities including but not limited to:
1. Interprets for patients with limited or no English language proficiency in their interactions with care providers and other hospital personnel
2. Translates complex and/or sensitive medical and personal information, including diagnostic and surgical procedures, treatment plans and medical, social and psychological assessments. Provide sight translation of simple documents, tests results and letters.
3. Assists patients in scheduling appointments, resolving billing problems and other related matters.
4. Identifies, assesses and facilitates understanding of cultural differences impacting communication.
5. Participates in Community Outreach events to represent Interpreter Services and Lahey Hospital and Medical Center
6. Provides on call intake coverage for program on a rotation basis, receiving, triaging and scheduling requests for interpreter services throughout hospital.
7. Provides on call interpreter services during evenings and weekends on a rotation basis. Assesses whether to interpret by telephone or on site according to criteria established by hospital policy. Instructs staff on the usage of interpreting devices to effectively promote communication. Prepares and submits related documentation.
8. Reviews, documents and schedules interpreter requests for languages not served by program staff, as requested by the supervisor. On a rotation basis, reviews and records requests received by electronic mail, telephone and voice mail and contacts appropriate free-lance personnel or Agency to arrange needed services. Prepares, routes and files related forms, reports and documentation.
9. Prepares written translations of individual patient instructions, such as discharge instructions and treatment plans. Translates other hospital literature for patients as schedule permits and as instructed by the Supervisor
10. Provides education and training to hospital staff on subjects such as working effectively with an interpreter and cross cultural communication. Assists in development, preparation and presentation of training materials.
11. Maintains computerized records of daily activities, including diary of daily patient transactions, statistics and details of encounters.
12. Works as a team with other interpreter and other department?s colleagues, assisting in planning work and developing methods for improving service delivery systems.
13. Orients, trains and supervises in training interpreters or volunteer candidates.
14. Maintains professional competency through participation in professional organizations, attendance at conferences, seminars and other continuing education programs and through independent study yearly.
Mission Statement: Lahey Clinic, as one of the world?s premier health care organizations, will:
• Provide superior health care leading to the best possible outcome for every patient;
• Exceed each day our patients? high expectations for service;
• Advance medicine through research and the education of tomorrow?s health care leaders.
• Goals: To care for our patients: With compassion and openness; with unsurpassed expertise; with a drive for continuous learning and improvement; with respect, caring, teamwork, excellence and commitment to personal best.
1. Maintain strict adherence to the Lahey Hospital and Medical Center Confidentiality policy.
2. Incorporate Lahey Hospital and Medical Center Standards of Behavior and Guiding Principles into daily activities
3. Comply with all Lahey Hospital and Medical Center Policies.
4. Comply with behavioral expectations of the department and Lahey Hospital and Medical Center.
5. Maintain courteous and effective interactions with colleagues and patients.
6. Demonstrate an understanding of the job description, performance expectations, and competency assessment.
7. Demonstrate a commitment toward meeting and exceeding the needs of our customers and consistently adheres to Customer Service standards.
8. Participate in departmental and/or interdepartmental quality improvement activities.
9. Participate in and successfully completes Mandatory Education.
10. Perform all other duties as needed or directed to meet the needs of the department.
Education: Bachelor Degree preferred
Licensure, Certification & Registration: 1.National Certification for Healthcare Interpreters (for available languages)
2. Health Care Interpreter Training Certificate
Experience: Experience in interpretation and translation in a healthcare setting preferred
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities: Proficiency in oral and written in both, target and source languages. Excellent communication and extensive knowledge of medical terminology. Knowledge of healthcare policies, interpreters Standard of Practice and Ethics. Consecutive, simultaneous and sight interpreting. Medical translation. Ability to keep data collection and to maintain formal documentation systems. Enthusiastic and high sense of team work.
VARIABLE, hours and shifts vary as needed
About Lahey Health
At Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, as one of the world's premier health care organizations, we provide superior health care leading to the best possible outcome for every patient. We exceed our patients' high expectations for service each day. We also help advance medicine through research and the education of tomorrow's health care leaders
We care for our patients with compassion and openness, unsurpassed expertise, a drive for continuous learning improvement, and with respect, caring, teamwork, excellence and commitment to doing our personal best.
Join our team and our mission of excellence by applying today!
How To Apply
Please apply directly online at http://www.laheyhealth.org/engage-with-us/careers. Use the Job ID number to quickly locate the appropriate job listing. Once you have located the desired job, click on the checkbox in the 'Select' column, and then click the 'Apply Now' button, located at the bottom of the screen. Please note you are only able to select 5 jobs at a time.
Lahey Colleagues please apply directly through Colleague Connection using your Login and Password.