Search Our Jobs
Research PhlebotomistJob ID 147376 Date posted 06/16/2018
Under the direct supervision of the Director of Translational Research and the general supervision of the Senior Scientist, independently performs venipuncture, as well as nasal and buccal swabs on adult patients and is familiar with patient and specimen requirements. Performs processing of specimens. Performs a variety of clerical duties associated with the operation of the Lahey Health EPIC EHR. Performs special projects as assigned. May be required to work at off-site locations as needed. Acts as a preceptor for new phlebotomy staff as needed or directed by the Director of Translational Research. Performs light laboratory duties such as cell culture and buffer preparation.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities including but not limited to:
1. Centrifuge blood and prepare specimens in a timely manner.
2. Collects patient specimens (blood, nasal swabs, tumor samples in the OR)
3. Performs light laboratory work such as cell culture and buffer preparation
4. Perform Laboratory housekeeping, handle hazardous waste and maintain laboratory inventory.
5. Speak with and consent patients to IRB approved studies
6. Acts as preceptor for new phlebotomy staff as needed and requested by Director or Senior Scientist
7. Maintain established departmental policies and procedures, objectives, quality assurance programs, safety, environment and infection control standards.
8. Prepare packing lists for specimen transport.
9. Abstracts data from the medical record (Epic)
10. Verifies patient identification according to Lahey Health Policy
11. Educate study subjects / family members about the requirements of IRB approved studies
12. Perform venipunctures, nasal swabs and buccal swabs on patients.
13. Greets patients and explains procedure in a professional and courteous manner. Reassures each patient to make them comfortable with the procedure.
14. Performs proficient venipuncture including proper technique, and use of proper collection devices/tubes.
15. Properly label specimens in accordance with Lahey Health policy to provide accurately identified specimens.
16. Delivers specimens within established time frame and follows special handling instructions for relevant specimens in order to maintain integrity of specimen and facilitate specimen processing.
17. Processes specimens for analysis according to written protocols.
18. Incorporates Lahey Health Guiding Principles , Mission Statement and Goals into daily activities.
19. Complies with all Lahey Health Policies.
20. Complies with behavioral expectations of the department and Lahey Health.
21. Maintains courteous and effective interactions with colleagues and patients.
22. Demonstrates an understanding of the job description, performance expectations, and competency assessment.
23. Demonstrates a commitment toward meeting and exceeding the needs of our customers and consistently adheres to Customer Service standards.
24. Participates in departmental and/or interdepartmental quality improvement activities.
25. Participates in and successfully completes Mandatory Education.
26. Performs all other duties as needed or directed to meet the needs of the department.
Education: High school graduate or equivalent. An Associate?s Degree or one year of Health Science studies is preferred
Licensure, Certification, Registration: Certification by American Society of Clinical Pathologists (ASCP) Board of Registry preferred but not required. Additional certification by American Society of Clinical Pathologists (ASCP) Board of Registry is preferred but not required.
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities: Organized, accurate and detail oriented. Good interpersonal skills to effectively interact with patients and providers. Ability to work in a fast-paced, high volume environment required. Knowledge of Microsoft Office is preferred. Knowledge of Medical Terminology is required.
Experience: 1+ years of phlebotomy experience and demonstrated proficiency in the phlebotomy field.
About Lahey Health
At Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, as one of the world's premier health care organizations, we provide superior health care leading to the best possible outcome for every patient. We exceed our patients' high expectations for service each day. We also help advance medicine through research and the education of tomorrow's health care leaders
We care for our patients with compassion and openness, unsurpassed expertise, a drive for continuous learning improvement, and with respect, caring, teamwork, excellence and commitment to doing our personal best.
Join our team and our mission of excellence by applying today!
How To Apply
Please apply directly online at http://www.laheyhealth.org/engage-with-us/careers. Use the Job ID number to quickly locate the appropriate job listing. Once you have located the desired job, click on the checkbox in the 'Select' column, and then click the 'Apply Now' button, located at the bottom of the screen. Please note you are only able to select 5 jobs at a time.
Lahey Colleagues please apply directly through Colleague Connection using your Login and Password.