Search Our Jobs
Clinician, Emergency Psychiatric ServicesJob ID 147434 Date posted 05/25/2018
Assumes responsibility for Emergency Psychiatric Services patients. Provides short-term, intensive outpatient treatment to individuals and families in crisis. Assists in the development and implementation of treatment and disposition plans for all observation admissions. Collaborates with other clinical staff and community providers to ensure that safe and therapeutic treatment is provided for all patients.
Essential Functions/Key Responsibilities:
1. Supports the hospital in such a manner that there is a strong and positive commitment to quality patient care.
2. Triages all patients who arrive to appropriate treatment interventions, including referrals to inpatient, partial and/or outpatient treatment.
3. Attends clinical meetings that will have a positive impact on patient care and all appropriate administrative meetings that support the mission of the hospital.
4. Participates in any ongoing quality improvement studies that will have positive patient care outcomes.
5. Coordinates and organizes Emergency Psychiatric care activities.
6. Develops, implements and evaluates treatment plans, making appropriate changes as needed.
7. Utilizes and provides supervision in a positive and thoughtful manner to enhance professional improvement and development.
8. Maintains a clear understanding of hospital policies and protocols, practices within those policies and protocols, and enforces such when appropriate.
9. Supports and implements administrative decisions.
10. Maintains solid understanding of and follow regulatory agencies? expectations and guidelines (i.e. DMH, DPH, JCAHO, payors, etc.).
11. Screens referrals to verify third party benefit availability and initial approval requirements.
12. Consistently promotes professional working relationships between the hospital, referral sources and payors.
13. Maintains understanding of managed care contracts, insurance benefits, limitations, policies, procedures and forms.
14. Maintains yearly/biyearly requirements of CPR, Risk Management and Aggression Management.
15. Performs other duties as assigned.
Master?s Degree in a health care field, or practice experience as approved by EPS Director.
Current professional license registration in Massachusetts. Previous emergency psychiatric experience with theoretical as well as practical knowledge of the clinical area.
Exhibits ability to be competent in the following areas:
1. Mental status exams and emergency assessments
2. Knowledge of admission procedures and protocols
3. Knowledge of managed care and other payors
4. De-escalation/Restraint Management
5. Effectively able to triage patients and make disposition decisions
Demonstrates a positive demeanor that allows for respectful and courteous interaction with all external and internal customers. Works cooperatively and effectively with others with ability to adapt to changes in the workplace as part of maintaining currency in profession.
Must be fluent in English (verbal and written).
40 hours, full time
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include distance vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception.