Search Our Jobs
Clinical Pharmacy Manager for Acute Care ServicesJob ID 146299 Date posted 04/22/2018
The Manager, Decentralized Pharmacy Practice is responsible for the development and advancement of decentral pharmacy practice and service provision. The incumbent is also responsible for maintaining and improving the quality and scope of pharmacy services provided by the Department. The incumbent is responsible for the monitoring, evaluation, and assurance of the quality of medication use. The Manager, Decentralized Pharmacy Practice oversees the activities of pharmacists and specialists servicing the acute care areas (i.e. inpatient areas) of Lahey Hospital and Medical Center. The Manager, Decentralized Pharmacy Practice reports directly to the Assistant Director Acute Care Pharmacy Services.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities including but not limited to:
1. Directly supervise acute care clinical pharmacy specialists and clinical pharmacists.
2. Manage decentralized pharmacy practice of clinical pharmacists in the performance functions assuring quality provision of pharmacotherapy services.
3. Assures that work schedules, procedures, and assignments use pharmacy personnel and resources in the most efficient manner possible.
4. Responsible for hiring process for employees, provision of disciplinary action and performance appraisals.
5. In conjunction with the Assistant Director Acute Care Pharmacy Services, provide recommendations on yearly evaluation.
6. Assumes lead role in the content development of policies and procedures, particularly those relating to clinical and practice operations.
7. Ensures completion of monthly nursing unit inspections.
8. Serves on pharmacy related committees and others as needed.
9. Assists the Assistant Director Acute Care Pharmacy Services in ensuring that there are sufficient professional and technical support personnel to meet pharmacy department needs.
10. In collaboration with the Assistant Director Acute Care Pharmacy Services, ensures that all pharmacy personnel possess the education, licensure, and training needed for their responsibilities and that competence of all staff is maintained through hospital training and programs and continuing education programs.
11. Provides procedures and upkeep for a department orientation program and evaluates personnel during the yearly review process unless earlier indicated by Human Resources policy and procedures.
12. Works to prepare and monitor reports required by hospital committees as needed.
13. Along with management team, ensures compliance with relevant standards of practice with relevant standards and guidelines such as but not limited to the Joint Commission, State and Federal regulations and American Society of Health System Pharmacists.
14. Works with other members of the hospital (e.g. nursing, physicians other ancillary staff) to help define policies and procedures governing the procurement, distribution, and control of all drugs used within the institution in concert with the Medication Safety Pharmacist and Assistant Director Acute Care Pharmacy Services and in compliance with applicable state and federal laws.
15. Partner with the pharmacy purchasing and contracting manager, pharmacy purchaser(s) and medication safety and drug policy pharmacist to manage recalls, backorders, and withdrawal of medications from the market, including communication to affected caregivers.
16. In concert with the pharmacy management team, develop yearly performance evaluation template.
17. Serve as preceptor during hospital pharmacy practice experience.
18. Assist the management team in meeting the goals and objectives of the department of pharmacy services.
19. Serve as the departments liaison with Colleges of Pharmacy for pharmacy student IPPE and APPE rotations.
20. Perform pharmacy staffing duties if needed based on department needs.
21. Provide order entry assistance based on department need.
22. Additional responsibilities as assigned by the Assistant Director Acute Care Pharmacy Services.
Education: BS in Pharmacy or PharmD; graduate from an accredited college of pharmacy.
Licensure, Certification & Registration: State of Massachusetts Licensed Pharmacist
Experience: Minimum of five years of pharmacy management experience preferred, acute care experience REQUIRED
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities: Ability to maintain quality, safety, and/or infection control standards.
Knowledge of patient care charts and patient histories.
Knowledge of drugs and their indications, contraindications, dosing, side effects, and proper administration.
Knowledge of related accreditation and certification requirements.
Ability to design and implement systems necessary to collect, maintain and analyze data.
Knowledge of policies and regulations pertaining to the disbursement of pharmaceutical drugs.
Knowledge of clinical operations and procedures.
Ability to supervise and train assigned staff.
Ability to perform basic patient assessments and referrals.
Skill in the use of personal computers and related software applications.
Understands the principles of Driving the Business.
Possesses skills in empowering the employees to practice teamwork and Lahey Guiding Principles.
About Lahey Health
At Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, as one of the world's premier health care organizations, we provide superior health care leading to the best possible outcome for every patient. We exceed our patients' high expectations for service each day. We also help advance medicine through research and the education of tomorrow's health care leaders
We care for our patients with compassion and openness, unsurpassed expertise, a drive for continuous learning improvement, and with respect, caring, teamwork, excellence and commitment to doing our personal best.
Join our team and our mission of excellence by applying today!
How To Apply
Please apply directly online at http://www.laheyhealth.org/engage-with-us/careers. Use the Job ID number to quickly locate the appropriate job listing. Once you have located the desired job, click on the checkbox in the 'Select' column, and then click the 'Apply Now' button, located at the bottom of the screen. Please note you are only able to select 5 jobs at a time.
Lahey Colleagues please apply directly through Colleague Connection using your Login and Password.