Search Our Jobs
Molecular DiagnosticsTechnical Supervisor, Lab OpsJob ID 145867 Date posted 04/22/2018
Position Summary: Under the general supervision of the Laboratory Manager and Medical Director provide administrative and technical leadership for their Laboratory Section. The Technical Supervisor accepts responsibility for the overall managerial and operational functions necessary to ensure fulfillment of the department mission. Coverage includes occasional weekends and holidays.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities including but not limited to:
1. Prepare and maintain policies and procedures appropriate for the operation of this section.
2. Establish and implement procedures to evaluate laboratory test methodologies for accuracy, precision, sensitivity, and normal values.
3. Provide guidance and/or resolution for clinical problem solving (e.g. instrumentation, equipment, test systems, clinical correlation, backup systems, and system performance).
4. Oversee implementation of new instruments, methodologies and tests.
5. Develop workflow to achieve simplification of procedures and processes.
6. Ensure ongoing compliance with all applicable regulatory agencies including but not limited to : JCAHO, CAP, OSHA, DPH, NCCLS.
7. Maintain adequate and appropriate inventories of all supplies required to perform procedures without emergency shortages.
8. Perform duties of a medical technologist as required, with skills equal to senior technologists.
1. Schedule colleagues to meet department workload within budgetary limits.
2. Participate in employment interviews and recommend qualified candidates for vacancies.
3. Follow Lahey Clinic and departmental policies for orientating and training new colleagues.
4. Ensure all colleagues fulfill their annual mandatory requirements (competency, safety, education, etc.) and that documentation is prepared for each requirement.
5. Work with section managers to ensure optimal utilization of staff and facilitate cross training of staff.
6. Discuss disciplinary concerns with the Manager and Clinical Laboratory Administrator. Conduct counseling and disciplinary sessions with colleague when performance warrants. Prepare required documentation.
7. Contribute to colleague performance appraisals to include past performance and new goals.
1. Prepare a budget annually with the Manager and Medical Director.
2. Monitor actual expenses to budget and explain variances. Adjust operations as needed.
3. Contribute to department goal of optimization of resources and revenue enhancement.
Quality Control/Quality Assurance
1. Ensure accurate performance of test results by periodic review of Quality Control and taking corrective action as needed.
2. Ensure continuous quality improvement through active participation in the laboratory Quality Assurance program.
3. Value and respond to customer feedback by taking corrective action or improving sub optimal services.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities (cont.)
1. Reassign daily tasks to ensure completion of workload.
2. Set priorities and organize work time to meet them.
3. Improve services by working with department managers and technologists to achieve a common goal.
4. Support new ideas and changes within the department. Adapt to change and situations in a positive manner and work together to effect that change.
5. Keep all colleagues updated on current changes, memos, and miscellaneous information.
6. Accept, complete, and report on special assignments within the agreed upon time.
7. Communicate with colleagues through regularly scheduled laboratory meetings. Encourage input from members of the team.
8. Set a positive example by maintaining a productive and cooperative working atmosphere.
1) Incorporates Lahey Clinic Guiding Principles , Mission Statement and Goals into daily activities.
2) Complies with all Lahey Clinic Policies.
3) Complies with behavioral expectations of the department and Lahey Clinic.
4) Maintains courteous and effective interactions with colleagues and patients.
5) Demonstrates an understanding of the job description, performance expectations, and competency assessment.
6) Demonstrates a commitment toward meeting and exceeding the needs of our customers and consistently adheres to Customer Service standards.
7) Participates in departmental and/or interdepartmental quality improvement activities.
8) Participates in and successfully completes Mandatory Education.
9) Performs all other duties as needed or directed to meet the needs of the department.
Education: Bachelor's degree including laboratory internship at an institution certified by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS).
Licensure, Certification, Registration: Certification by American Society of Clinical Pathologists (ASCP) Board of Registry or the National Certification Agency (NCA) for Medical Laboratory personnel.
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities:
• Analytic ability to perform complex tests, interpret findings, perform calculations, calibrate instruments, etc. and accurately report results.
• Ability to identify and evaluate clinical testing problems and to effect corrective action procedures and modifications.
• Ability to independently assess clinical test results and recommend appropriate additional tests and procedures to medical staff.
• Ability to provide technical guidance, instruction, and leadership, to lower level professional staff within area of expertise.
• Ability to concentrate for long periods of time, utilize good judgment, work accurately under pressure and handle stress to met deadlines.
• Manual dexterity and acuity necessary to prepare specimens, prepare solutions, screen specimens, and operate instrumentation and a computer.
• Interpersonal verbal and written English language skills sufficient to exchange information with physicians and other colleagues
• Ability to supervise daily activities of technical area of expertise.
• Skill in the use of personal computers and related software applications.
Experience: A minimum of eight years full-time experience as a technologist in the specialty area is required.
About Lahey Health
At Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, as one of the world's premier health care organizations, we provide superior health care leading to the best possible outcome for every patient. We exceed our patients' high expectations for service each day. We also help advance medicine through research and the education of tomorrow's health care leaders
We care for our patients with compassion and openness, unsurpassed expertise, a drive for continuous learning improvement, and with respect, caring, teamwork, excellence and commitment to doing our personal best.
Join our team and our mission of excellence by applying today!
How To Apply
Please apply directly online at http://www.laheyhealth.org/engage-with-us/careers. Use the Job ID number to quickly locate the appropriate job listing. Once you have located the desired job, click on the checkbox in the 'Select' column, and then click the 'Apply Now' button, located at the bottom of the screen. Please note you are only able to select 5 jobs at a time.
Lahey Colleagues please apply directly through Colleague Connection using your Login and Password.