Search Our Jobs
Specimen Processor Per DiemJob ID 146633 Date posted 06/13/2018
Under the general supervision of the Laboratory Manager and/or Team Leader processes specimens, routes specimens to the appropriate laboratory for analysis, differentiates approximately 1000 tests currently on file, and is familiar with the patient and specimen requirements for these tests. He/she responds to telephone inquires from laboratory personnel, physicians, or other interested parties and resolves a variety of routine problems. The specimen processor accepts specimens delivered by patients and verifies proper collection and identification. Performs computer data entry by ordering or resulting tests, reviewing patient information, and receiving specimens. Performs some clinical assays (urinalysis and blood gases) and the associated supporting work for use in the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of disease. Special assignments may include training of new employees. Coverage includes rotating weekends and holidays. Phlebotomy is required.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities including but are not limited to:
1. Verify sample identification, acceptability of sample, assess integrity of sample, and appropriateness of order according to written procedures. Inform Nursing, Phlebotomy and medical Staff about unsuitable specimens and inappropriate collection.
2. Perform follow-up procedures on rejected/missing samples according to protocol.
3. Operate centrifuges for spinning blood. If applicable, transfer serum or plasma to a secondary tube.
4. Deliver specimens to performing laboratory or prepare specimens to be mailed
5. Demonstrate ability to prioritize work by completing assignments according to written procedures without excessive waste within established turn around times.
6. Perform and document required QC/QA procedures according to established protocols. Recognize existing or potential out of control situations. Consult with Team Leader or Sr. Specimen Processor to troubleshoot as necessary.
7. Perform scheduled maintenance and required documentation on equipment.
8. Recognize unusual or unreasonable results. Consult with Team Leader and/or Sr. Specimen Processor about abnormal findings, unusual combinations or difficult analyses.
9. Perform surveys by testing, recording, and reporting results accurately.
10. Record laboratory results (observations/interpretations/calculations) on worksheets, verify results are entered into the laboratory computer system correctly, and report STAT and critical values according to protocol.
11. Assist as appropriate in teaching Specimen Processing techniques and Urinalysis to new colleagues and students.
1. Contribute to department goal of optimization of resources and revenue enhancement.
2. Maintain appropriate inventory.
General Expectations including but are not limited to:
1. Incorporate LH&MC (Lahey Hospital & Medical Center) Standards of Behavior/Guiding Principles and Mission Statement into daily activities.
2. Comply with all LH&MC and department specific policies.
3. Follow established safety procedures as stated in the Laboratory Safety and Infection Control Manuals.
4. Participate in and successfully complete Mandatory Education.
5. Comply with behavioral expectations of the department and LH&MC.
6. Establish and maintain courteous and effective interactions with patients, physicians, management, visitors and other members of the health care team through responsiveness, accuracy of information, and professionalism.
7. Demonstrate an understanding of job description, performance expectations, and competency assessment.
8. Demonstrate a commitment toward meeting and exceeding the needs of our patients, families, visitors, etc. and consistently adhere to our service excellence standards.
9. Demonstrate commitment to stay current in scientific knowledge by completing 4 hrs/yr of continuing education.
10. Assist in departmental and/or interdepartmental quality improvement activities.
11. Performs all other duties as needed or directed to meet the needs of the department.
Education: Baccalaureate degree with a concentration in science OR an Associate degree including laboratory internship at an institution certified by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS).
Licensure, Certification, Registration: Required with Associates degree, must be eligible for certification by American Society of Clinical Pathologists (ASCP) Board of Registry or by American Medical Technologists (AMT) for Medical Laboratory personnel.
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities:
Analytic ability to perform moderately complex tests, interpret findings, perform calculations, calibrate & troubleshoot instruments used.
Ability to identify and evaluate clinical testing problems and to effect corrective action procedures and modifications.
Manual dexterity and acuity necessary to prepare specimens, screen specimens, prepare solutions, and operate instrumentation and a computer.
Ability to concentrate for long periods of time, utilize good judgment, work accurately under pressure and handle stress to met deadlines.
Interpersonal verbal and written English language skills sufficient to exchange information with physicians and other colleagues.
Work requires the ability to perform venipuncture techniques.
Skill in the use of personal computers and related software applications.
Experience: Preferred but not required.
VARIABLE, Per Diem
About Lahey Health
At Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, as one of the world's premier health care organizations, we provide superior health care leading to the best possible outcome for every patient. We exceed our patients' high expectations for service each day. We also help advance medicine through research and the education of tomorrow's health care leaders
We care for our patients with compassion and openness, unsurpassed expertise, a drive for continuous learning improvement, and with respect, caring, teamwork, excellence and commitment to doing our personal best.
Join our team and our mission of excellence by applying today!
How To Apply
Please apply directly online at http://www.laheyhealth.org/engage-with-us/careers. Use the Job ID number to quickly locate the appropriate job listing. Once you have located the desired job, click on the checkbox in the 'Select' column, and then click the 'Apply Now' button, located at the bottom of the screen. Please note you are only able to select 5 jobs at a time.
Lahey Colleagues please apply directly through Colleague Connection using your Login and Password.