Location: Peabody, MA
Job ID: 177887-1A
Date Posted: Aug 5, 2022
Category: Clinical Support
Welcome to Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Lahey Hospital & Medical Center is a world-renowned tertiary medical center known for its innovative technology, pioneering medical treatment and leading-edge research. A teaching hospital of Tufts University School of Medicine, the hospital provides quality health care in virtually every specialty and subspecialty, from primary care to cancer diagnosis and treatment to kidney and liver transplantation. It is a national leader in a number of health care areas, including stroke, weight management and lung screenings, among many others. Lahey also helps to advance medicine through research and the education of tomorrow's health care leaders.
About the Job
Position Summary: Under the supervision of the Chief Anesthesia Technician, assists the Anesthesiologists' and CRNAs' with technical preparation for inducing anesthesia , intubation, and airway management. Prepares and maintains supplies and equipment used for administration of anesthesia and other related procedures. The position is fast moving and covers a large area.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities including but not limited to:
1. Sets-up operating room with required equipment and supplies according to the type of cases and ages of the patients. Consults with Anesthesiologist or CRNA for specific setup needs as necessary or requested .. Location include but not limited to Operating Rooms, Radiology, Litho, EP, Radiation Therapy and Endoscopy.
2. Prepares care for the patient by the following:
• Assists anesthesiologists with line placements including central lines, following sterile technique. Calibrates equipment as required i.e. Transducers and SY02 Catheters.
• Assists Anesthesiologists and CRNAs with airway management, including set up for airway care, set up of fiberoptic scope, set up of atomizer and topical solutions for awake intubation, assists with cricoid pressure d rapid sequence.
• Tests, sets-up, maintains sterile technique and processes autologous blood products for re-infusion. Package, and report to Anesthesiologist the volume, estimated blood loss (EBL) and returned processed unit volume.
• Set up and prepare Anesthesia machines for latex and malignant hyperthermia cases. Assists Anesthesiologist by the following:
• Sets up IV solutions, equipment, cardiac monitors and anesthesia machines. Changes tanks on machines and line canisters as needed.
• Responsible for cleaning anesthesia machines as well as other anesthesia equipment, after each case. Remove empty or unused vials, syringes, or medication bags (Exception: Federal DEA Schedule V and higher medications) and disposes them in appropriate receptacles after each case.
• Takes appropriate used equipment parts to C.S.S. for processing and sterilization .
• Follows established protocols and uses proper sterile technique in th e procedure room environment.
• Orders tanks of gases or other anesthesia supplies as necessary, brings low stock items to the supervisors attention
• Supplies and exchanges vaporizers as requested by the Anesthesiologist or CRNA .
• Maintain appropriately stocked red carts prior to OR entry.
Education : High school diploma or equivalent.
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities: Ability to prepare and set up equipment for Anesthesia procedures. Ability to maintain sterile field s, Clean and disinfect anesthesia instruments and equipment. Ability to perform technical duties in complex clinical situations Knowledge of medical terminology Ability to use anesthesia equipment and related supplies Knowledge of basic patient care. Ability to prioritize tasks and responsibilities Ability to set-up, operate and troubleshoot anesthesia delivery systems, monitors, and ancillary devices. Ability to assists Anesthesiologist with monitoring, induction, and intubation of patients.
Experience: One year of experience in a patient care environment, OR experience preferred. Anesthesia technicians at Lahey Peabody OR are required to work at least two Mondays and two Fridays per month. Same day call be may required at the end of the shift to finish cases. The shift is 7a-5:30p. Lahey Peabody OR is open Monday through Friday and closed on weekends and holidays.
Beth Israel Lahey Health is dedicated to improving health and wellness and making a difference in the lives of our patients, their families and all members of the communities we serve. Formed in March 2019, Beth Israel Lahey Health is a patient-centered, integrated care delivery system providing a continuum of services spanning academic, tertiary and community hospitals, dedicated orthopedic and psychiatric hospitals, primary and specialty care, community acute care, ambulatory care, behavioral services and home health. Beth Israel Lahey Health Performance Network is a unified joint contracting and population health management organization, jointly governed by participating physicians and hospitals.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.