Location: Burlington, MA
Job ID: 177957-1A
Date Posted: Sep 22, 2022
Category: Clinical Professional
Welcome to Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Lahey Hospital & Medical Center is a world-renowned tertiary medical center known for its innovative technology, pioneering medical treatment and leading-edge research. A teaching hospital of Tufts University School of Medicine, the hospital provides quality health care in virtually every specialty and subspecialty, from primary care to cancer diagnosis and treatment to kidney and liver transplantation. It is a national leader in a number of health care areas, including stroke, weight management and lung screenings, among many others. Lahey also helps to advance medicine through research and the education of tomorrow's health care leaders.
About the Job
Under the general supervision of the Director of Radiation Therapy Physics, the Dosimetrist performs duties involved with treatment planning, customized treatment aids and devices, brachytherapy treatments, quality assurance, and minor equipment / machine maintenance. Takes patient measurements and contours, utilizes computers to perform calculations and generate treatment plans. Performs extensive mathematical calculations. Responsible for maintaining supplies related to duties.
We allow up to 3 home office days for this position for hybrid work, contingent on clinical coverage!
Essential Duties & Responsibilities including but not limited to:
· Assists therapists with patient simulations and patient immobilization under the direction of the radiation oncologist and radiation physicist to ensure that radiation treatment set-ups are accurate and reproducible.
· Participates in brachytherapy LDR program: source preparation, OR presence, dosimetry, post procedure follow-up
· Develops computerized treatment plans and calculates doses for conformal, IMRT, stereotactic and forward planned
· Develops brachytherapy planning for all HDR procedures as ordered by the physician per department guidelines.
· Casts low-melt alloy blocks and assembles customized absorbers or other treatment aids as required to implement
the treatment plan.
· Has knowledge of tissue tolerances and dosing guidelines per standard guidelines for the department and physician.
· Knowledge of record and verify system and able to utilize the system for supporting documentation of dosimetry
planning, scheduling, patient alerts and charge capture
· Has ability to import and associate all treatment plans and treatment fields to appropriate diagnosis and prescription
in patient record and verify system for treatment delivery
· Communicates necessary information concerning patient set-up, treatment plan, and treatment to physicians and
· Generates patient charges for services rendered to the patient.
· Maintains supplies used in treatment planning, block cutting and related activities for routine operation of the
· Incorporates Lahey Clinic Guiding Principles , Mission Statement and Goals into daily activities.
· Complies with all Lahey Clinic Policies.
· Complies with behavioral expectations of the department and Lahey Clinic.
· Maintains courteous and effective interactions with colleagues and patients.
· Demonstrates an understanding of the job description, performance expectations, and competency assessment.
· Demonstrates a commitment toward meeting and exceeding the needs of our customers and consistently adheres to
Customer Service standards.
· Participates in departmental and/or interdepartmental quality improvement activities.
Participates in and successfully completes Mandatory Education.
· Performs all other duties as needed or directed to meet the needs of the department.
Education: Graduate of an approved school of dosimetry preferred. Equivalent education and experience with licensure as a radiation therapist or radiology technologist will be considered in lieu of formal dosimetrist training.
Licensure, Certification, Registration: Certified Medical Dosimetrist or pursuing same. Certification expected within three years of employment.
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities: Requires oral and written skills to properly document parameters and provide instructions to therapist staff concerning the proper implementation of the treatment plan. Requires mathematical skills including basic addition, subtraction, multiplication and division in addition to familiarity with angles and exponential functions. In the absence of any of these skills, demonstrates the ability to be thoroughly trained to meet organizational standards.
Experience: Five years of FTE clinical experience required. Experience received during training may be used to help satisfy this requirement. Related training and experience will be considered.
40 hours, Day shift
Beth Israel Lahey Health is dedicated to improving health and wellness and making a difference in the lives of our patients, their families and all members of the communities we serve. Formed in March 2019, Beth Israel Lahey Health is a patient-centered, integrated care delivery system providing a continuum of services spanning academic, tertiary and community hospitals, dedicated orthopedic and psychiatric hospitals, primary and specialty care, community acute care, ambulatory care, behavioral services and home health. Beth Israel Lahey Health Performance Network is a unified joint contracting and population health management organization, jointly governed by participating physicians and hospitals.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.