Welcome to Lahey Health Primary Care. With over 55 primary care practices in more than 30 nearby communities , our primary care physicians and care teams provide quality close to where our patients live or work. We have a team approach to patient care and have developed long-standing, mutually respectful relationships with local specialists at our affiliate hospitals to guide and support the most effective and efficient patient care. As part of the Beth Israel Lahey Health system, we now have the opportunity to care for even more individuals across eastern Massachusetts.
About the Job
Reporting to and in collaboration with the Director of Site Operations, the Primary Care Practice Manager is responsible for all day-to-day operational and managerial duties associated with the successful oversight of a high-volume, multi-provider Primary Care practice. The Primary Care Practice Manager works with operational and clinical leaders to create an environment of outstanding medical care and service to its patients and will serve as a resource to enhance operational efficiencies. S/he will inspire trust, promote collegial dialogue and support a diverse collaborative culture. The Primary Care Practice Manager will have responsibility for the development of staff through coaching, communicating both positive and constructive feedback, timely and accurate performance evaluations and the creation of learning opportunities.
1. Patient Focus:
- Uphold the expectation with staff and demonstrate that the quality of care and safety of patients is the highest priority.
- Demonstrate and requires prompt, courteous responsive and caring behaviors to provide service that meets established standards.
- Support patient access initiatives to ensure efficient appointment and scheduling.
- Work to achieve quality customer service benchmarks. Educate staff and monitor adherence to our Guiding Principles to all encounters with patients, families, colleagues and guests.
- Promote continuous process improvement to enhance our patient experiences
2. Leadership Focus:
- Maintain and strengthen working relationships with staff, providers, and leaders to achieve superior caregiver engagement.
- Demonstrate superior operational knowledge and communication skills in order to positively influence outcomes with staff, leaders and providers.
- Provide open, honest and direct feedback to staff in professional and timely fashion to support growth and development.
- Affirm Lahey Health’s Standards of Behavior and Guiding Principles of Respect, Caring, Teamwork, Excellence and Commitment to Personal Best through personal example and by celebrating the Principles when observed in action among the patient care team.
- Create improvement opportunities through the review and understanding of data and metrics critical to the practice.
- Understand and act on Colleague Engagement results.
- Lead change and create collaboration and receptivity.
- Demonstrate self-motivation and the ability to motivate others.
- Has a high degree of Human Resources acumen. Partners with Human Resources colleagues as appropriate.
3. Staffing Focus:
- Work to build and maintain a high-performing staff to support patient care goals and operational needs through effective interviewing and hiring. Engages Providers in the interview/hiring process.
- Conduct regular staff group and one-on-one staff meetings to ensure the clear communication of expectations to all staff.
- Establish team and individual goals for colleagues. Monitor progress, take appropriate action as needed and apply result to annual performance reviews.
- Understand the motivational needs of staff and work toward retention of talented colleagues.
- Ensure that all required staff certifications are maintained.
- Produce timely and accurate performance evaluations for staff predicated on individual achievements opportunity for improvement or shortfalls discussed throughout the evaluation period.
- Manage and adjust staffing schedules as needed.
- Understand that staff development is a key component to the Primary Care Practice Manager function and execute on this.
4. Operations Focus:
- Work in a manner to promote safe conditions and minimize hazards in the work and patient environment that may adversely affect the safety and health of others.
- Implement and insure application of organizational and practice policies and procedures. Monitors compliance to insure maximum enhancement of the revenue cycle process.
- Work with the Director, Site Operations/Practice Administrator to identify, share and implement best operational practices with our peer practices.
- Develop, establish and improve practice-specific systems, procedures and policies to improve overall efficiency.
- Participate in the preparation of the annual budget and maintain expense controls adhering to budgetary guidelines.
- Complies with all Lahey Clinic and entity specific Policies.
- Insure patient charges are properly entered and oversees the accuracy of daily cash received records and that copays are accurately recorded.
- Maintains strict confidentiality of all patient records and ensures that patient’s right to privacy is maintained at all times.
- Meet with the Director, Site Operations/Practice Administrator as needed keeping s/he appraised of operational and financial issues within the practice.
- Create and maintains a safe working environment by following Safety/Infection Control policies, using personal protective equipment, using safety devices, and properly disposing of infections/hazardous waste. Reports incidents, accidents and hazards per policy.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities including but not limited to:
- Follow corporate and practice policies and procedures
- Work with Director, Site Operations/Practice Administrator to develop annual budgets and demonstrate cost effectiveness during budget preparation
- Accurately executes established payroll procedures, including time cards and timekeeping systems utilization.
- Respond to patient inquires.
- Coordinate maintenance, repair and cleaning of the practice. Monitor professional physical appearance of building and office space and address if deficient.
- Supervise work performance of the staff to ensure adherence to established standards.
- Review work performance and make decisions for pay increases, promotions, transfers and other human resource actions.
- Train new staff regarding department policies and procedures.
- Orient colleagues that are new to area or new to the performance of specific tasks.
- Establish work schedules and assign staff to specified areas of the department.
- Counsel, discipline and recommend discharge as necessary. Determine if retraining is necessary.
- Communicate with Director of Practice Operations or Practice Manager on a regular basis to evaluate practice operations.
- Act as a liaison between support staff and providers.
- Monitor and address staffing issues to insure appropriate coverage to support patient flow.
- Develop and monitor provider weekly schedules, on-call schedules.
- Support front office staff and provide coverage as needed in administrative or clinical areas (as defined by established policy and protocol) provide back-up coverage during staff shortages, during crisis situations and for evaluation.
- Conduct regular meetings with medical staff and support staff to insure consistent and timely flow of communication.
- Maintain responsibility for petty cash; reconcile petty cash fund
- Control supply ordering/receiving and inventory for office. (Including clerical, medical, furniture and equipment needs within specified guidelines).
- Participate in and successfully complete Mandatory Education.
- Perform all other duties as needed or directed to meet the needs of the department.
- A Bachelor’s or advanced degree is preferred
- Demonstrated management skills
- Two years of leadership experience in a physician office in a provider setting
- Strong knowledge of electronic medical record systems
- Strong overall computer skills
- Knowledge of third party billing and coding requirements
- Superior ability to communicate with all levels of staff and the provider community
DAYS/FULL TIME/40 HOURS/GLOUCESTER
Beth Israel Lahey Health is dedicated to improving health and wellness and making a difference in the lives of our patients, their families and all members of the communities we serve. Formed in March 2019, Beth Israel Lahey Health is a patient-centered, integrated care delivery system providing a continuum of services spanning academic, tertiary and community hospitals, dedicated orthopedic and psychiatric hospitals, primary and specialty care, community acute care, ambulatory care, behavioral services and home health. Beth Israel Lahey Health Performance Network is a unified joint contracting and population health management organization, jointly governed by participating physicians and hospitals.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.