Welcome to The Herrick House, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health Continuing Care. Our teams of nurses, aides, food service, and environmental service employees work to create an environment that supports the physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual needs of our residents along with their families.
About the Job
Reports To: Director of Dining Services
Position Summary: Responsible for preparing residence meals in accordance with planned menus and sanitary regulations. Plans, prepares and cooks large quantities of food. Supervises activities of other employees as needed.
Beth Israel Lahey Health is dedicated to improving health and wellness and making a difference in the lives of our patients, their families and all members of the communities we serve. Formed in March 2019, Beth Israel Lahey Health is a patient-centered, integrated care delivery system providing a continuum of services spanning academic, tertiary and community hospitals, dedicated orthopedic and psychiatric hospitals, primary and specialty care, community acute care, ambulatory care, behavioral services and home health.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepares the daily main entree options and/or other food items as designated ensuring high standards of food quality and appearance before meals are served to residents and staff.
- Uses varied kitchen equipment in large quantity food production.
- Follows food preparation guidelines regarding time and temperature.
- Follows planned menus using production sheets and standardized recipes.
- Records amounts of food items prepared and leftover items on a daily production sheet. Uses records to forecast future needs and minimize waste.
- Apportions and plates entrees, appetizers, soups, salads, vegetables and desserts.
- Assists in ordering and purchasing food and food service supplies
- Ensures that stock levels of staple and non-staple food and food service supplies are maintained at established par levels
- Weighs or measures ingredients, using recipes to produce a standard product.
- Assists Director of Dining Services in scheduling employees, planning production and ordering supplies.
- Oversees Dining Services personnel in the absence of the Director of Dining Services.
- Assists in unloading, inspecting, storing food deliveries and cleaning supplies and verifies packing lists. May take inventory of supplies and equipment.
- Maintains proper storage and rotation of food products.
- Responsible for general and assigned kitchen sanitation duties in conformance with sanitary, health and safety regulations.
- Regularly disinfect designated food preparation and service areas.
- Practice hand hygiene procedures
- Demonstrates a courteous and responsible attitude toward staff, residents and visitors.
- Works safely within established guidelines. Uses appropriate lifting techniques per training, works within guidelines for knife safety, and keeps work area clean and hazard free.
- Assists other employees as needed to maintain a consistent level of service.
- Attends and participates in staff meetings.
- When in charge, must be present in the dining room for a minimum of five minutes during each meal service for resident feedback.
- All responsibilities will be conducted in a manner that exhibits The Herrick House mission, vision, and core values.
Certificates/Licenses: Current ServSafe certificate. Experience working in assisted living or long term care setting a plus.