Welcome to Lahey Health Continuing Care, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Our team provides ongoing care to individuals through our assisted living and skilled nursing facilities. Our teams of nurses, aides, food service, and environmental service employees work to create an environment that supports the physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual needs of our residents and patients, along with their families.
About the Job
Position Summary: The Administrative Associate - Hospice is responsible for the smooth transition of the patient into hospice and palliative care services. Receives and coordinates referrals to Beth Israel Lahey Health at Home (BILHAH) from affiliated and outside physicians, hospitals, facilities and other community referral sources.
Beth Israel Lahey Health is dedicated to improving health and wellness and making a difference in the lives of our patients, their families and all members of the communities we serve. Formed in March 2019, Beth Israel Lahey Health is a patient-centered, integrated care delivery system providing a continuum of services spanning academic, tertiary and community hospitals, dedicated orthopedic and psychiatric hospitals, primary and specialty care, community acute care, ambulatory care, behavioral services and home health.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities including but not limited to:
- Responds to all requests in a positive manner.
- Elicits and gathers accurate and pertinent information regarding the patient’s medical and environmental condition to accurately identify critical information needed to initiate hospice and palliative consults.
- Working knowledge of the skills and service provided by each member of the multidisciplinary team and the ability to relate these to identified patient needs.
- Communicates identified prioritizes to the hospice and palliative teams based on patient’s needs and referral requests.
- Understands and integrates relevant policies and procedures to ensure referral is processed in a timely and accurate manner.
- Manages Face to Face report by scheduling visits with Nurse Practitioner within required timeframe
- Checks in all nurse practitioners daily appointments
- Confirms Nurse Practitioners appointment day before visit with patient/ family
- Coordinates Initial evaluation with NP patient and family under the direction of the intake specialist
- Under the direction of business office manager creates denial letters and has signed by ED
- Assists with one time patient contracts including travel contract.
- Maintains the Administrator on call schedule for Hospice
- Registers all new Hospice patients with Hospice Pharmacy at start of care
- Assist the intake specialist with creating hospice and or palliative care EMR
- Check PMP for all new admissions to hospice, export report and send to appropriate MD for review
- Assist with email communication of forms needing signature and tracks back and scans to media
- Inputs initial information into the computer to begin the admission process as applicable.
- Collaborates with the Business Office to identify and verify patient’s insurance as applicable.
- Forwards all referral information to the appropriate team for timely initiation of services.
- Responds to telephone requests for information and interprets services to callers.
- Uses information technologies including Email and the Epic EMR to process and track referrals and communicate with team members.
- Develops positive relationships for new and existing referral sources, including physician offices, hospitals and rehab facilities.
- Collaborates with BILHAH liaisons in outreach efforts.
- Acts as a resource to referrers, staff, families and patients.
- Develops and maintains relationships with referrers.
- Communicates with the referral source regarding the patient’s needs and ensures physician’s orders are received for hospice and palliative care services as required.
- Attends regular agency and team meetings as needed.
- Provides timely communication to the hospice and palliative teams whenever there are unusual requests or complex situations/orders.
- Practices confidentiality principles set by the agency and federal HIPAA guidelines.
- Must have attention to detail when taking, processing and documenting referral requests throughout the intake process.
- Proficiency with common office software programs and ability to learn other software products including, but not limited to Epic and E-Discharge.
- Completes documentation in accordance with agency timeliness policies.
- Adheres to departmental requirements for required training.
- Identifies specific learning needs and goals and collaborates with the Executive Director in developing a plan to meet them.
- Participates in in-service programs as appropriate.
- Assists in precepting new staff members to the hospice and palliative intake process.
- Tracks and schedules hospice face-to-face visits to ensure timely completion of.
- Assists hospice clinical managers with IDT preparation as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Maintain strict adherence to the Continuing Care Confidentiality policy.
- Incorporate Continuing Care Standards of Behavior and Guiding Principles into daily activities.
- Comply with all BILHAH and Continuing Care Policies.
- Comply with behavioral expectations of the Continuing Care Division.
- Maintain courteous and effective interactions with colleagues and patients (internal and external customers)..
- Demonstrate an understanding of the job description, performance expectations, and competency assessment.
- Demonstrate a commitment toward meeting and exceeding the needs of our customers and consistently adheres to Customer Service standards.
- Participate in departmental and/or interdepartmental quality improvement activities.
- Participate in and successfully completes Mandatory Education.
- Perform all other duties as needed or directed to meet the needs of the department.
- High school graduate required.
- Associates degree in healthcare related field or business is preferred.
- 1-2 years’ experience in a health related field.
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities:
- Demonstrates excellent observation and problem solving/critical thinking skills.
- Well-developed verbal and written communication skills; essential computer skills to work with EMR.
- Knowledge of Excel.
- Must be a licensed driver with an automobile that is insured in accordance with state or organization requirements and is in good working order.
- Self-directed and able to work with minimal supervision.
- Shows strong ability to organize and prioritize workload independently.