Location: Winchester, MA
Job ID: 177330-1A
Date Posted: Jul 7, 2022
Category: Clinical Support
Welcome to Winchester Hospital, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Winchester Hospital was the first hospital in Massachusetts to earn Magnet recognition, the American Nurses Association’s highest honor for nursing excellence, three times. It has since received the recognition a fourth time. As the northwest suburban Boston area’s leading provider of comprehensive health care services, the 229-bed facility provides care in general, bariatric and vascular surgery, orthopedics, pediatrics, cardiology, pulmonary medicine, oncology, gastroenterology, rehabilitation, radiation oncology, pain management, obstetrics/gynecology and a Level IIB Special Care Nursery.
About the Job
Working under the direction of a registered nurse, this position contributes to the Hospital’s mission to care, heal and to excel in service to our community by performing procedures to provide emergency care, for the comfort and safety of patients. This clinical staff position will have an impact on the patient’s experience by facilitating excellent outcomes utilizing a collaborative team approach to patient care in the emergent care setting.
· High school diploma or G.E.D.
· Certified Nursing Assistant, nursing student with completion of one medical-surgical clinical rotation or one year clinical care experience or equivalent education, one year clinical care experience, EMT or emergency room clinical experience
· Emergency patient care experience
· EKG experience
· Phlebotomy experience
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS, CERTIFICATIONS:
Preferred: Nursing Assistant, EMT, Medical Assistant and/or Phlebotomist certification
LIFE SUPPORT CERTIFICATION REQUIRED: BLS
Travel requirements: May be scheduled at either the Emergency Department or off-site Walk-In Urgent Care, based on department needs.
Consistent with the PROMISE principles and inherent in a hospital environment, employees must be flexible in meeting patients’ and the Hospital’s needs. While the list below describes the primary functions of this job, all employees at Winchester Hospital need to recognize that an essential element of their job is the ability to respond to unanticipated and/or changing situations. This may result in assuming responsibilities or tasks, which are not on this list.
As part of the Emergency Department/Walk-in Urgent Care team, this position:
· Provides quality and safe patient care under the direction of a Registered Nurse.
· Introduces oneself, welcomes and orients patients, family members and significant others and instructs the patient on the call light and ensures it is within reach.
· Meets ambulance to expedite patient care.
· Contributes to meeting the patient’s physical, emotional, cultural, and spiritual needs.
· Observes patients and reports findings and/or concerns to nurse in a timely manner
· Demonstrates purposeful rounding and promptly responds to call lights to ensure patient safety and satisfaction.
· Responds urgently to patients in crisis and performs CPR
· Under the direction of a registered nurse, and in accordance with hospital quality and safety procedures performs required tasks in which they have been verified as competent by Nursing Staff Development and/or the Manager:
· Performing EKG tests within the expected benchmark time frame
· Stocks supplies and emergent equipment at the bedside and on the unit, addressing inventory issues in a timely manner
· Admitting patients on cardiac monitor and discharge from monitor
· Applies supplemental oxygen
· Cleans wounds of debris and applies topical ointment
· Applies ace wraps, other splints, and immobilizers and sterile dressings
· Assisting with activities of daily living
· Repositioning and ambulating patients
· Making an occupied and unoccupied bed
· Disinfecting equipment’s and stretchers between patients
· Assisting in transporting patients, beds, supplies and equipment
· Verifying patient identification using two identifiers, collecting, labeling at the bedside and transporting specimens
· Retrieving and signing out blood products
· Accurately performing point of care testing
· Obtaining vital signs and weights and promptly communicates to nurse
· Maintaining accurate intake and output measurements
· Utilizing sterile technique, inserts and removes Foley catheters
· Removing saline locks
· Setting up/breaking down room ensuring a clean and neat environment after each patient.
· Assisting in post-mortem care in a respectful manner
· Documenting accurately, legibly and timely
· Assisting with procedures
· Performs non-invasive procedures
· Appropriately follows the chain of command and adheres to hospital policies and procedures.
· Informs patients and family members throughout the patients’ experience.
· Communicates effectively with the healthcare team utilizing established handoff procedures.
· Gives and accepts respectful feedback to enhance teamwork.
· Minimizes preventable harm events and consistently executes the infection control protocols.
· Incorporates the Culture of Safety tools in daily practice, adhering to quality and safety guidelines and communicating near-miss or potential risks.
· Coordinates work schedule with departmental supervisor to provide coverage and maintain
Safe staffing levels.
· Has incidental access to medications.
· Maintains a clean and safe work environment and hallways free of clutter to enhance patient satisfaction and a culture of safety.
· Responds to equipment issues in a timely manner to ensure availability of equipment and to maximize its useful life.
· Functions effectively in patient crisis situations and utilizes emergency resources. Assists in preparation of patient and transport to appropriate level of care.
· Maximizes patient throughput to minimize wait times.
36 Hours Weekly
Beth Israel Lahey Health is dedicated to improving health and wellness and making a difference in the lives of our patients, their families and all members of the communities we serve. Formed in March 2019, Beth Israel Lahey Health is a patient-centered, integrated care delivery system providing a continuum of services spanning academic, tertiary and community hospitals, dedicated orthopedic and psychiatric hospitals, primary and specialty care, community acute care, ambulatory care, behavioral services and home health. Beth Israel Lahey Health Performance Network is a unified joint contracting and population health management organization, jointly governed by participating physicians and hospitals.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.