Welcome to Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Lahey Hospital & Medical Center is a world-renowned tertiary medical center known for its innovative technology, pioneering medical treatment and leading-edge research. A teaching hospital of Tufts University School of Medicine, the hospital provides quality health care in virtually every specialty and subspecialty, from primary care to cancer diagnosis and treatment to kidney and liver transplantation. It is a national leader in a number of health care areas, including stroke, weight management and lung screenings, among many others. Lahey also helps to advance medicine through research and the education of tomorrow's health care leaders.
About the Job
Lahey Hospital and Medical Center Division of Nursing Mission Statement and Core Values:
- We honor our profession, patients and each other by being pioneers at the forefront of healthcare
Our Core Values: To care for our patients and each other with:
Position Summary: Under the general direction of the Chief Nursing Officer (CNO) Associate Chief Nursing Officer (ACNO) and Nursing Directors, the Nurse Manager is responsible for day to day operations, practice development, communicating policies, and evaluates staff job performance.. The Nurse Manager works in collaboration with key stakeholder’s and department leadership to coordinate the delivery of patient care. The Nurse Manager assumes the responsibility for the plan of care, has the authority to make decisions, and is held accountable for decisions specific to assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation of the plan.
The Nurse Manager practices within the Lahey Hospital and Medical Center (LHMC) Professional Practice Model, MA Nurse Practice Act and ANA Standards of Practice and Code of Ethics. The Nurse Manager coordinates and supervises all nursing staff in assigned clinical patient care units/departments to provide quality patient care.
The Nurse Manager maintains a current level of knowledge with management leadership skills as defined by nursing specialty organizations, complies with all regulations and standards of regulatory and accrediting bodies, and is currently licensed in the state of Massachusetts as a registered nurse.
Areas of responsibility include:
- Clinical practice
- System coordination
- Quality improvement
- Human resource management
- Fiscal Responsibility
- Professional growth
Essential Duties & Responsibilities including but not limited to:
- Develops, implements, and assures compliance with Nursing Practice Guidelines.
- Encourages staff participation on Shared Governance Councils, nursing committees, and organization committees.
- Maintains and displays knowledge of current professional/clinical issues and uses evidence based resources to implement necessary changes in the delivery of nursing care.
- Collaborates with leadership team to provide opportunities for staff development. i.e.:
- Participation in nursing research.
- Certification in nursing field
- Participation in professional organizations.
- Links departmental strategic goals to organizations mission and goals.
- Analyzes pertinent data to drive day to day performance
- Works collaboratively to solve problems improve processes and integrate services within the department and with other departments.
- Supports new ideas and changes within the department by actively participating and contributing.
- Demonstrates flexibility in meeting demands of the department.
- Organizes and prioritizes work to meet deadlines.
- Develops effective communication methods to keep staff and others informed about activities of the organization and department.
- Proactively develops plans to meet future departmental/organizational needs.
- Reviews outcome measures and works collaboratively with staff and leadership team to improve patient outcomes. Ie: National Database of Nursing Quality Indicators (NDNQI) and Core Measures
- Collaborates with multi-disciplinary teams to:
- Comply with regulatory standards
- Improve patient satisfaction
- Improve patient outcomes
- Identify, assess, measure and systematically improve important processes and activities.
HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT:
- Works collaboratively with the Human Resources Department and Senior Leadership to recruit, hire and retain qualified personnel.
- Oversees and conducts performance appraisals. Collaborates with Senior Leadership and Human Resources to recommend compensation adjustments.
- Assures appropriate orientation, competence assessment, in-service training and continuing education for all staff.
- Fosters staff development by assisting them to identify goals and appropriate opportunities for learning.
- Encourages creativity and celebrates staff accomplishments.
- Promotes an environment that is sensitive to the diverse needs of the patients and employees.
- Coaches and supports staff by removing barriers and addressing issues.
- Assures licensing certification for all staff is current.
- Conducts monthly staff meetings.
- Communicates staffing concerns to ACNO/Director.
- Delegates work appropriately and provide direction and guidance to nursing and support staff.
- Participates in development of annual departmental budgets.
- Develops and implements cost effective staffing patterns.
- Uses resources effectively to provide high quality cost effective services.
- Monitors budget and prepares variance reports.
- Manages expenses on an on-going basis and identifies areas of potential cost savings.
PROFESSIONAL GROWTH/SELF IMPROVEMENT:
- Pursues self-awareness, actively seeks feedback, accepts constructive criticism, and modifies behavior accordingly.
- Engages in professional development activities such as education, participating in professional associations, or other appropriate activities.
- Maintains necessary continuing education requirements for license, certifications and enhancements.
- Maintains own educational record.
- Supports Lahey Clinics commitment to community based activities both within the Lahey community and beyond.
- Incorporates LHMC Guiding Principles, Mission Statement and Goals into daily activities.
- Complies with all LHMC Policies.
- Complies with behavioral expectations of the department and LHMC.
- Maintains courteous and effective interactions with colleagues and patients.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the job description, performance expectations, and competency assessment.
- Demonstrates a commitment toward meeting and exceeding the needs of our customers and consistently adheres to Customer Service standards.
- Participates in departmental and/or interdepartmental quality improvement activities.
- Participates in and successfully completes Mandatory Education.
- Performs all other duties as needed or directed to meet the needs of the department.
Education: Graduate of a state approved or accredited School of Nursing. Bachelors of Science in Nursing required with a Master’s degree in Nursing or related field in order to have full understanding of Nursing Services functions preferred.
Licensure, Certification, Registration:
Current licensure to practice professional nursing in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
Life Support Certification: BLS
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities:
Clinical Skills/Technical Knowledge
- Demonstrates the necessary clinical competence in area of nursing practice.
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Basic computer skills.
Experience: A minimum of five years of accumulated in-patient nursing experience and two years leadership experience.
- Interdisciplinary team members
Coordination of patient care.
- Human Resources
Systems, coordination, recruitment, retention, staff management
- Nursing Staff
Coordination of patient care.
- Nursing Leadership Team
Systems coordination and coordination of patient care.
Oversees quality patient care
- Family members
Assists and supports family members as necessary.
Scope/Impact Statement: Twenty-four hour responsibility for clinical, operational and budgetary oversight of assigned nursing unit(s).
40 Hours Days
Beth Israel Lahey Health is dedicated to improving health and wellness and making a difference in the lives of our patients, their families and all members of the communities we serve. Formed in March 2019, Beth Israel Lahey Health is a patient-centered, integrated care delivery system providing a continuum of services spanning academic, tertiary and community hospitals, dedicated orthopedic and psychiatric hospitals, primary and specialty care, community acute care, ambulatory care, behavioral services and home health. Beth Israel Lahey Health Performance Network is a unified joint contracting and population health management organization, jointly governed by participating physicians and hospitals.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.