Location: Burlington, MA
Job ID: 177291-1A
Date Posted: Jul 5, 2022
Category: Clinical Professional
Welcome to Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Lahey Hospital & Medical Center is a world-renowned tertiary medical center known for its innovative technology, pioneering medical treatment and leading-edge research. A teaching hospital of Tufts University School of Medicine, the hospital provides quality health care in virtually every specialty and subspecialty, from primary care to cancer diagnosis and treatment to kidney and liver transplantation. It is a national leader in a number of health care areas, including stroke, weight management and lung screenings, among many others. Lahey also helps to advance medicine through research and the education of tomorrow's health care leaders.
About the Job
Under the general direction of the clinical nutrition manager, the advanced practice dietitian provides Medical Nutrition Therapy for patients on assigned units, develops and promotes collaborative practice and collegial relationships with physicians and other disciplines as a member of the multidisciplinary healthcare team. The advanced practice dietitian integrates skills acquired by education and experience into patient care, mentoring, quality improvement, and research.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities including but not limited to:
1. Adheres to Nutrition Screening, Assessment, and Follow-up – Inpatient Policy.
2. Use the Nutrition Care Process (NCP), completes a comprehensive assessment based on food and nutrition-related history; biochemical data, medical tests and procedures; anthropometric measurements, nutrition-focused physical exam, and patient history.
3. Orders (if privileged) or recommends laboratory tests needed to complete assessment.
4. Calculates metabolic needs for energy, protein, fluid, electrolytes, and other nutrients.
5. Selects appropriate nutrition diagnosis (es).
6. Initiates nutrition intervention that is directed at the root cause of the nutrition problem and aimed at alleviating the signs and symptoms of the diagnosis.
7. Monitors and evaluates response to intervention, ordering/recommending lab tests needed, to determine if goals are achieved or progress made toward goals.
8. Documents assessment and plan of care using standardized terminology and consult format in electronic medical record.
9. Communicates with care team in development, implementation, and evaluation of nutrition interventions.
10. Provides nutrition education considering cultural, religious and ethnic beliefs. Individualizes patient education based on age and health literacy. Documents response to teaching by patient and/or family.
11. Counsels patients on potential food/drug interactions.
12. Collaborates with food service colleagues in the provision of meals and supplements.
13. Acts as a liaison with case managers and home care companies for discharge planning.
14. Maintains productivity log.
15. Precepts dietetic interns.
16. Initiates and manages quality and safety projects.
17. Initiates programs to measure and manage nutrition outcomes.
18. Engages in research projects and participates in publication.
19. Provides ongoing education and mentoring to physicians, medical and surgical residents and fellows, nurse practitioners, and physician assistants.
Excellent written and oral communication skills, effective time management skills, computer skills, effective networking relationships, leadership, teaching, and mentoring skills. Has acquired the knowledge, complex decision-making skills, experience, and clinical competencies for expanded practice Practice is characterized by the integration of a broad range of unique theoretical, research-based, and practical knowledge that occurs as a part of training and experience Integrates research, education, practice, and management into patient care Has a high degree of professional autonomy and independent practice Displays advanced health assessment skills including Nutrition Focused, Physical Exam, decision-making skills, and diagnostic reasoning skills
Part Time -Per Diem
8 Hours 7:00-3:30
Beth Israel Lahey Health is dedicated to improving health and wellness and making a difference in the lives of our patients, their families and all members of the communities we serve. Formed in March 2019, Beth Israel Lahey Health is a patient-centered, integrated care delivery system providing a continuum of services spanning academic, tertiary and community hospitals, dedicated orthopedic and psychiatric hospitals, primary and specialty care, community acute care, ambulatory care, behavioral services and home health. Beth Israel Lahey Health Performance Network is a unified joint contracting and population health management organization, jointly governed by participating physicians and hospitals.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.