Search Our Jobs
As a health care organization, Lahey Hospital and Medical Center is committed to providing high quality, safe patient care. As an employer, Lahey is committed to ensuring a professional environment where every staff member is encouraged to excel. With a team approach to care, physicians and nurses at Lahey work side-by-side with allied health professionals, medical technologists, and administrative and support staff to deliver on our mission. Lahey encourages learning and growth at all levels, and we offer competitive salaries and benefits.
Clinician, Emergency Psychiatric ServicesApply Now Job ID 137892 Date posted 03/14/2017
Assumes responsibility for telephone triage of referrals for inpatient and partial hospital psychiatric services. Provides telephone crisis intervention & in-person level of care assessments. Collaborates with other clinical staff and community providers to ensure that safe and therapeutic treatment is provided for all patients referred for services.
Essential Functions/Key Responsibilities:
1. Receives referrals & obtains necessary clinical information required for decision making & triage to appropriate level of care & bed/unit assignment.
2. Coordinates and organizes referral, triage & admission activities.
3. Consistently promotes professional working relationships between the hospital, referral sources and payors. Presents a positive demeanor that allows for respectful & courteous interaction with all internal and external customers.
4. Maintains understanding of managed care contracts, insurance benefits, limitations, policies, procedures and forms.
5. Provides psychiatric and substance use disorder evaluations of individuals to determine appropriate level of care. Secures inpatient placement & insurance authorizations for individuals when indicated.
6. Provides crises intervention, both telephonic & on-site.
7. Makes recommendations & referrals for alternate services when individual does not require inpatient level of care.
8. Manages behavioral health bed census, tracks & logs all cases presented for behavioral health evaluation in Lahey Health Emergency Departments, facilitates & ensures timely evaluation & disposition of ED patients to reduce ED census.
9. Demonstrates flexibility in work assignments, schedule, and the ability to adapt to changes in the workplace.
10. Assists in admission process for referred inpatients (explains sign in procedure including CV & patient rights, registers admission, obtains vital signs, assesses safety issues).
11. Communicates effectively with admitting MD & RN regarding patient status, urgent needs, and pertinent information.
12. Utilizes and provides supervision in a positive and thoughtful manner so that professional improvement and development is enhanced.
13. Attends administrative & clinical meetings that support the mission of the hospital.
14. Participates in quality improvement activities that will have positive patient care outcomes.
15. Is expected to support the hospital in such a manner that there is a strong and positive commitment to quality patient care. Supports administrative decisions even when not generally favored by the Emergency Psychiatric Services clinician.
16. Has a clear understanding of hospital policies and protocols, and practices within those policies and protocols.
17. Has understanding of regulatory agencies? expectations and guidelines (i.e. DMH, DPH, JCAHO, payors, etc.), and is expected to follow such guidelines.
18. Maintains yearly/biyearly requirements for demonstrating competency in assigned areas.
19. Willing to perform other duties not documented in the job description.
1. Educational and Professional:
a) Master's Degree in a mental health field, or practice experience as approved by EPS Director.
b) License in Mental Health field preferred
c) Theoretical as well as practical knowledge of the clinical area.
d) Previous mental health experience including conducting psychiatric diagnostic evaluation, substance use disorder evaluation, and level of care assessments.
e) Represents the organization positively
2. Knowledge and Abilities:
a) Ability to work cooperatively and effectively with others
b) Maintains currency in profession
c) Demonstrates willingness to learn as well as teach
d) Ability to use intuitive and sound judgment
e) Knowledge of department standards, policies and practices
f) Demonstrates clinical management skills and good organizational skills
g) Ability to use sound administrative practices.
h) Must be fluent in English (verbal and written)
i) Exhibits competence in the following areas:
1) Mental status exams and emergency assessments
2) Knowledge of admission procedures and protocols
3) Knowledge of managed care and other payors
4) De-escalation/Restraint Management
5) Effective patient triage and disposition
j) Completes programs in risk management, restraint prevention, and CPR as
required on a yearly or biyearly basis.
evenings Scheduled Hours PT 32 HOURS PER WEEK
Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs occasionally, bending and stooping required occasionally. Vision corrected to 20/20, hearing corrected to normal range.
How To Apply
Please apply directly online at http://www.nebhealth.org/careers/ . Use the Job ID number 137892 to quickly locate the appropriate job listing. Once you have located the desired job, click on the checkbox in the 'Select' column, and then click the 'Apply Now' button, located at the bottom of the screen. Please note you are only able to select 5 jobs at a time.
Lahey Colleagues please apply directly through Colleague Connection using your Login and Password.