Search Our Jobs
As a health care organization, Lahey Hospital and Medical Center is committed to providing high quality, safe patient care. As an employer, Lahey is committed to ensuring a professional environment where every staff member is encouraged to excel. With a team approach to care, physicians and nurses at Lahey work side-by-side with allied health professionals, medical technologists, and administrative and support staff to deliver on our mission. Lahey encourages learning and growth at all levels, and we offer competitive salaries and benefits.
Ophthalmic Technician - 24 hoursApply Now Job ID 144679 Date posted 09/08/2017
Under the supervision of the Administrative Director, the Ophthalmic Technician assists ophthalmologists and optometrists in their patients eye examinations. Duties include performing various vision tests, collecting medical data, monitoring and maintaining patient flow, scribing, and assisting physicians with various procedures; as well as assisting with various administrative duties within the Ophthalmology Department.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities including but not limited to:
1) Performs preliminary eye examination, including documentation of chief complaint; patient medical, ocular family, and social history.
2) Performs and documents visual acuity including: distance and near using Snellen's, Jaeger, falling Es, numbers, Allen cards and slide, counting fingers, hand motion, light perception with and without projection and pinhole vision for the purpose of measuring patients vision.
3) Performs and documents refractometry in both minus and plus cylinder using phoropter and trial lenses/frame for the purpose of correcting a patients refractive error.
4) Performs retinoscopy using either Welch-Allyn or Copeland scopes for the purpose of measuring a patients refractive error.
5) Performs and documents color vision assessment using Ishihara and City University.
6) Performs and documents Amslers grid testing plates for the purpose of measuring a patients central macula function
7) Performs and documents stereopsis testing using the Titmus test for the purpose of measuring a patients depth perception.
8) Performs and documents lensometry, including measuring plus and minus cylinder including transposition, front and back vertex, aphakic lenses, all types of bi and trifocal lenses, progressive lenses, all high index lenses, and prism measurement for the purpose of measuring corrective lenses.
9) Performs and documents keratometry using manual Haag-Streit and B&L models for the purpose of measuring a patients corneal surface curvature.
10) Performs and documents visual field examination, including Humphreys, ARC, and confrontation fields for the purpose of measuring a patients peripheral vision.
11) Performs and documents applanation tonometry to measure intraocular pressure.
12) Performs auxiliary tests, including PAM, interferometer, Heines, BAT, and exophthalmometry.
13) Performs pupillary assessment measuring efferent, afferent, direct, and consensual response.
14) Performs basic ocular muscle evaluation and documentation using the following techniques: EOM, Hirschbergs, Krimskys, cover-uncover, cover+alt cover, and prism for the purpose of identifying quality of eye deviation..
15) Performs and documents preliminary slit lamp exam, including diffuse assessment, direct beam, optic section, angle depth and clarity assessment, observe corneal integrity, staining and identification of normal vs. abnormal variations of the eye and its external features.
16) Performs basic fundus photography using designated cameras for the purpose of identifying and documenting segment abnormalities under direct physician instruction.
17) Assists in laser (including YAG, argon, CO2) and minor surgical procedures (such as chalazion, lid lesion, epilation, punctual plug insertion) using proper sterile and aseptic techniques.
18) Performs patient pre and postop surgical instruction, including witnessing signed consent forms.
19) Performs, documents and follows set confidence levels for A-scan biometry and lens calculation for the purpose of measuring the length of the eye and appropriate intraocular lens for physician selection.
20) Performs basic optician skills, including minor frame adjustments, IPD, optic center; and troubleshooting patient spectacle complaints.
21) Performs contact lens instruction, including I&R and cleaning soft and hard lenses.
22) Performs basic ocular muscle evaluation and documentation measuring EOMs and identifying type of muscle deviation.
23) Performs specialized corneal testing upon physician request, including topography (corneal mapping), pachymetry (corneal thickness), specular microscopy (corneal endothelium cell count), Schirmers 1 and 2B for dry eyes, and pH testing for chemical splashes.
24) Demonstrates knowledge of ophthalmic pharmacological agents, including solutions, suspensions, ointments, injectable and oral medications.
25) Under direction of physician, administers eye drops for dilated eye exams/laser treatments and diagnostic testing.
26) Performs pressure patching using appropriate aseptic technique only under direct physician instruction.
27) Demonstrates knowledge of ocular abnormalities and disease processes for the purpose of patient education.
28) Maintains and calibrates all ophthalmic instrumentation.
29) Assists in chart preparation, encounter close out, telephone triage and other telephone, correspondence (patient, department, physician, and pharmacy).
30) Monitors and maintains physicians patient flow and scribe duties.
31) Fills out proper lab forms and gathers specimens for laboratory review.
32) Performs patient pre and postop surgical instruction, including witnessing signed consent forms.
33) Reviews all consent forms with patients prior to seeing physician and scribes as needed.
34) Incorporates Lahey Clinic Guiding Principles , Mission Statement and Goals into daily activities.
35) Complies with all Lahey Clinic Policies.
36) Complies with behavioral expectations of the department and Lahey Clinic.
37) Maintains courteous and effective interactions with colleagues and patients.
38) Demonstrates an understanding of the job description, performance expectations, and competency assessment.
39) Demonstrates a commitment toward meeting and exceeding the needs of our customers and consistently adheres to Customer Service standards.
40) Participates in departmental and/or interdepartmental quality improvement activities.
41) Participates in and successfully completes Mandatory Education.
42) Performs all other duties as needed or directed to meet the needs of the department.
Education: Minimum high school graduate or GED, or equivalent education and experience.
Licensure, Certification, Registration: none
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities: All skills listed in job description. In the absence of any of these skills, demonstrates the ability to be thoroughly trained to meet organizational standards.
Experience: At least 1 year of experience working in ophthalmology or clinical setting
DAYS, 24 hours, Mon - Fri, 8 hour shifts
About Lahey Health
At Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, as one of the world's premier health care organizations, we provide superior health care leading to the best possible outcome for every patient. We exceed our patients' high expectations for service each day. We also help advance medicine through research and the education of tomorrow's health care leaders
We care for our patients with compassion and openness, unsurpassed expertise, a drive for continuous learning improvement, and with respect, caring, teamwork, excellence and commitment to doing our personal best.
Join our team and our mission of excellence by applying today!
How To Apply
Please apply directly online at http://www.laheyhealth.org/engage-with-us/careers. Use the Job ID number to quickly locate the appropriate job listing. Once you have located the desired job, click on the checkbox in the 'Select' column, and then click the 'Apply Now' button, located at the bottom of the screen. Please note you are only able to select 5 jobs at a time.
Lahey Colleagues please apply directly through Colleague Connection using your Login and Password.