Search Our Jobs
As a health care organization, Lahey Hospital and Medical Center is committed to providing high quality, safe patient care. As an employer, Lahey is committed to ensuring a professional environment where every staff member is encouraged to excel. With a team approach to care, physicians and nurses at Lahey work side-by-side with allied health professionals, medical technologists, and administrative and support staff to deliver on our mission. Lahey encourages learning and growth at all levels, and we offer competitive salaries and benefits.
Medical Assistant Urology 40hrsApply Now Job ID 145311 Date posted 10/27/2017
Essential Duties & Responsibilities including but not limited to:
1) Monitor patient flow and escort patients to exam rooms for all providers.
2) Ensures that all necessary information and materials (medical record including problem lists, diagnostic test results, referral authorization, etc.) are present for clinician prior to the patient visit.
3) Receives and communicates information through various processes, including (but not limited to) use of computers, Intranet, e-mail, hospital telephone system, fax, and documentation in patient?s medical record.
4) Ensures that all appropriate equipment is maintained in good working order and that adequate supplies are available for patient procedure/visit. Ensure appropriate levels of supplies and inventory for departmental needs by utilizing the appropriate requisitions procedures while understanding the importance of cost containment.
5) Verifies the completeness of the encounter form and follows department standards for the billing process.
6) Prepare exam rooms by monitoring and replenishing supplies and performing routine housekeeping; clean and disinfect surgical instruments using autoclave equipment.
7) Take patient vitals, patient histories and record in patient charts or on appropriate forms. Administer patient care as delegated by supervising physician or other licensed professional. ,
8) Performs proper pre- visit procedures under direction of the physician or other health care provider prior to the patient?s visit. (Suture/staple removal/dressing removal/ cast removal).
9) Organizes and prioritizes daily work tasks to ensure the physicians schedule runs smoothly and all patient needs are met.
10) Utilizes standard precautions in room preparation and while assisting with procedures/exams.
11) Performs appropriate departmental screening, testing and specimen collection (including labeling and processing).
12) Provides and reviews appropriate instructions to patients regarding any diagnostic test and procedure. Provides patient with written educational material, including diagnostic preparations, as necessary. Document that patient instructions were given, as well as patient?s response.
13) Maintains confidentiality and patient rights in interactions with the patient/family and other health care workers
14) Respects the values (religious/spiritual, ethnic, cultural) of the patient and family
15) Assists in performing departmental procedures with the appropriate provider.
16) Communicates all appropriate information prior to break, lunch or change or shift, to necessary Personnel to ensure continuity of care.
17) Documents all pertinent information in patient medical record as required.
18) Is alert to Quality Assurance and CQI issues as well as to unsafe working conditions. Notifies manager of concerns. Participates in unit based QI activities and is familiar with unit measurement data.
19) Prepare patients for procedures and assist providers, nurses or medical staff with procedures (i.e.urodynamic studies, cystoscopies, sigmoidoscopies, spirometries, pelvic examinations, dressing changes) as delagated by physician.
20) Administer Leuprolide (Lupron ?) intramuscularly.
21) Insert straight catheters and instruct patients on self catheterization.
22) Prepare the patient for BCG for installation by physicians.
23) Perform housekeeping, handle hazardous waste and keep exam rooms and crash cart fully stocked. Sterilize instruments and equipment using disinfecting solution or autoclaving machine. Maintain inventory or medical supplies and medications and order medical supplies as authorized by Manager, Supervisor or Site Coordinator.
24) Keep medication sample closet organized and maintain locked status at all times as assigned by Site Manager, Supervisor or Site Coordinator. Replenish medication samples and purge outdated medications.
25) Call prescriptions to pharmacy. Utilizes PocketScripts for prescription refills within established guidelines y
26) Use computerized system to schedule x-ray, mammography or laboratory appointments.
27) Advise providers of schedule changes or add-ons.
28) Provide back-up coverage for the front office staff, including booking appointments, phone coverage and receptionist duties.
29) Maintains core competencies. Participates in education programs
30) Incorporates Lahey Clinic Guiding Principles , Mission Statement and Goals into daily activities.
31) Complies with all Lahey Clinic Policies.
32) Complies with behavioral expectations of the department and Lahey Clinic.
33) Maintains courteous and effective interactions with colleagues and patients.
34) Demonstrates an understanding of the job description, performance expectations, and competency assessment.
35) Demonstrates a commitment toward meeting and exceeding the needs of our customers and consistently adheres to Customer Service standards.
36) Participates in departmental and/or interdepartmental quality improvement activities.
37) Participates in and successfully completes Mandatory Education.
38) Performs all other duties as needed or directed to meet the needs of the department.
Education: 1. High School Diploma or equivalent (GED) required. Graduate of an accredited medical assistant program.
Licensure, Certification, Registration: None
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities:
Strong interpersonal and customer service skills required to communicate with patients, family members, physicians and other health care providers, as well as other colleagues. Knowledge of medical terminology. Must possess strong problem solving abilities and analytical skills to ensure patient?s needs are met. Must possess basic computer skills to input and retrieve clinical information, as well as patient registration and appointment information. Utilizes critical thinking and good judgement in performance of tasks. Must possess good organizational skills and the ability to multitask and to prioritize daily assignments to ensure smooth work flow
About Lahey Health
At Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, as one of the world's premier health care organizations, we provide superior health care leading to the best possible outcome for every patient. We exceed our patients' high expectations for service each day. We also help advance medicine through research and the education of tomorrow's health care leaders
We care for our patients with compassion and openness, unsurpassed expertise, a drive for continuous learning improvement, and with respect, caring, teamwork, excellence and commitment to doing our personal best.
Join our team and our mission of excellence by applying today!
How To Apply
Please apply directly online at http://www.laheyhealth.org/engage-with-us/careers. Use the Job ID number to quickly locate the appropriate job listing. Once you have located the desired job, click on the checkbox in the 'Select' column, and then click the 'Apply Now' button, located at the bottom of the screen. Please note you are only able to select 5 jobs at a time.
Lahey Colleagues please apply directly through Colleague Connection using your Login and Password.