Search Our Jobs
As a health care organization, Lahey Hospital and Medical Center is committed to providing high quality, safe patient care. As an employer, Lahey is committed to ensuring a professional environment where every staff member is encouraged to excel. With a team approach to care, physicians and nurses at Lahey work side-by-side with allied health professionals, medical technologists, and administrative and support staff to deliver on our mission. Lahey encourages learning and growth at all levels, and we offer competitive salaries and benefits.
Mental Health CounselorApply Now Job ID 145530 Date posted 11/09/2017
Assumes responsibility for providing skilled, creative, high quality care to patients under the direction and supervision of a Registered Nurse. Performs a variety of direct and indirect patient care duties and responsibilities in collaboration with other nursing staff. Works effectively and collaboratively with the multi-disciplinary treatment team to enhance the smooth delivery of quality nursing care.
1. Supports the hospital in such a manner that there is a strong and positive commitment to quality patient care.
2. Serves as a preceptor for new employees and educate staff, as needed.
3. Utilizes supervision in a positive and thoughtful manner to enhance professional improvement and development.
4. Attends clinical meetings that will have impact on patient care.
5. Maintains solid understanding of hospital policies and protocols, and practices within those policies and protocols.
6. Participates in any ongoing quality improvement studies that will have positive patient care outcomes.
7. Maintains understanding of and follow regulatory agencies? expectations and guidelines (i.e. DMH, DPH, JCAHO, payors, etc.).
8. Records and reports all observed symptoms, reactions, treatments and changes in the patient?s safety status to the Registered Nurse.
9. Monitors the patient milieu for safety issues and assist with promoting a positive therapeutic environment.
10. Responds to patient care needs and issues, assist patients with personal hygiene and other activities of daily living. Collaborate with nurses to assist with any patient nursing needs.
11. Assists in the admitting, discharging and transferring process ensuring that patient safety is addressed, monitor patient valuables during body and belonging search and enter proper data into computer.
12. Participates in treatment team meetings, assist with development of care plans and report any issues for shift directly to the Registered Nurse.
13. In EPS, answer phones, identifies crisis situations and effectively assesses eligibility and contact third party payors for approval of services.
14. Consistently promotes professional working relationships between the hospital, referral sources and payors.
15. In EPS, maintains understanding of managed care contracts, insurance benefits, limitations, policies, procedures and forms.
16. Maintains yearly/biyearly requirements of CPR, Risk Management and Aggression Management.
17. Performs other duties as assigned.
College degree in psychology or related field preferred with theoretical as well as practical knowledge of the clinical area.
Exhibits ability to be competent in the following areas:
1) One-to-one interactions with patients
2) Knowledge of drug and alcohol withdrawal
3) Leading a group
4) De-escalation/Restraint Management
5) Ability to do data entry
Demonstrates a positive demeanor that allows for respectful and courteous interaction with all external and internal customers. Works cooperatively and effectively with others with ability to adapt to changes in the workplace as part of maintaining currency in profession.
Must be fluent in English (verbal and written). Scheduled Hours 32 hours, part-time.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include distance vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception.