Essential Duties & Responsibilities including but not limited to:
1) General Clinical Functions:
- Manages staff directly on the day-to-day functions and provides feedback, recognition and support for management team.
- Evaluates training needs and coordinates ongoing training and education.
- Conducts interviews and participates in hiring.
- Collaborates with administrator to prepare annual budget.
- Maintains contact with physician community internationally, to develop strong ties to the Lahey community.
- Suggests marketing and advertising strategies for practices.
- Monitors foreign referrals and identifies areas where there is opportunity.
- Notifies administrator of changes in referral patterns.
Works to develop staff and handles staffing issues such as schedules, performance improvement, disciplinary action and changes in staffing levels. Assists with interpreting and enforcing personnel policy.
- Serves as principle liaison with the referring physician community as well as the Lahey provider network to provide timely and efficient access for patients.
- 'Triage' of patient calls to identify type and level of urgency of specialty service necessary.
- Reviews Medical History forms, overseas referral forms to ensure coordination of specialty services.
- Responsible for daily monitoring of patient progress during their stay at Lahey Hospital.
- Greets and Assists patients as needed.
- Performs identification, pre-certification, and authorization of patient insurance with recognized case management teams.
- Preoperative screening with referral source.
- Obtains Preoperative clearance from Primary Care providers locally or in patients' home country and coordination of care with Lahey Clinic Medical Staff.
- Obtains appropriate diagnostic and test resources such as patient X-rays, pathology slides and treatment records from referral sources abroad prior to patient appointment.
- Schedules patients' appointments with appropriate Lahey Clinic medical staff and support services.
- Coordinates admissions of patients as necessary.
- Schedules patient surgeries with the assistance of the surgical schedulers for department specialty, confirms dates with patient, refers physician using IDX and Meditech.
- Coordinates care plans with Lahey Clinic case management, Lahey specialist, overseas primary care provider, overseas case management teams, rehab facilities both local and abroad, and medical instrument company for therapy resource.
- Obtains authorization/pre certification from insurer prior to all dates of service and updates extension of stay as necessary.
- Provides discharge reporting to case management, home care agency and referring physician(s).
- Accurately identifies and selects appropriate CPT codes for procedures to identify charges that will produce an 'estimate' of cost for procedure, visits at the clinic.
- Counsels Self Pay patients/families/support systems of 'estimated' costs and potential surcharges relative to selected procedures. Informs specific internationally-recognized 'loan' agencies of costs.
- Obtains guarantee of payments from Self Pay patients via wire transfers, credit cards or recognized international loan agency.
- Schedules new patient consult and follow-up appointments with Lahey Clinic specialist for patients.
- Coordinates with overseas case management team to arrange air ambulance transportation to Lahey Clinic for patients in need of urgent admission.
- Provide airport terminal assistance by identifying resources available via the Boston Health International relationship and with Massport .
- Identifies and provides local support for oxygen services, wheelchair, physical therapy, etc for long term stay patients.
- Schedules and works with departments to add additional same day appointments.
3) Administrative Functions:
- Monitors and services foreign care management and "over-seas agent" affiliations and contracts.
- Coordinates attendance of affiliated foreign physicians at Lahey medical education programs.
- Coordinates attendance of Lahey medical staff at clinic sessions at offices of overseas affiliates including scheduling, insurance, travel work permits and monitoring financial provisions of agreements.
- Coordinates activities of independent consultants.
- Interacts with major referral providers to develop and maintain preferred relationships through day-to-day customer service and sales, including regional and international providers.
- Interacts with major employer benefit managers around employee health education, health benefit decisions and open enrollment activities.
- Presents health education programs to business executives.
- Works with managed care organizations to coordinate joint direct marketing programs through health fairs, special events and member forums.
- Develops and maintains database to track physician referrals, including regional and international patients.
- Attends dinners, health fairs, and/or physician presentations, distributing Lahey materials, answering questions and addressing customer service issues as necessary.
- Assists in the development of marketing plans, including assisting with mapping and compiling data from surveys and other sources.
- Provides coverage for the Health Programs Specialist as needed.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the Clinic's billing processes, and performs related tasks as needed.
- Contributes to educating the Lahey Clinic community about the services offered by the department and promotes optimum utilization of the service.
4) Organizational Requirements:
- Maintains strict adherence to the Lahey Clinic Confidentiality Policy.
- Incorporates Lahey Clinic guiding principles, mission statement and goals into daily activities.
- Complies with all Lahey Clinic policies. Complies with behavioral expectations of the department and Lahey Clinic.
- Maintains courteous and effective interactions with colleagues and patients.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the job description, performance expectations, and competency assessment.
- Demonstrates a commitment toward meeting and exceeding the needs of our customers and consistently adheres to customer service standards.
- Participates in departmental and/or interdepartmental quality improvement activities.
- Participates in and successfully completes Mandatory Education.
- Performs all other duties as needed or directed to meet the needs of the department.
Graduate of a state approved or accredited School of Nursing.
Licensure, Certification, Registration:
Current license to practice professional nursing from the Massachusetts Board of Registration
Basic Life Support (BLS) certification from American Heart Association
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities:
a. Demonstrates the necessary clinical skills and technical knowledge to provide care for patients
b. Ability to cross train to other business/clinical areas.
Knowledge of general business functions, environments and settings.
Ability to provide exceptional level of customer service to all principles, international customs and patients
Knowledgeable of a multispecialty hospital organization with high-volume ambulatory clinics.
Excellent interpersonal, communication and presenation skills, including the ability to interact comfortably with business executives and international patients.
Strong awareness of cultural diversity and international healthcare customs.
Ability to communicate effectively with patients whose first language is not English.
5+ years of experience in a clinical setting including 3-5 years of management experience.
About Lahey Clinic
At Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, as one of the world's premier health care organizations, we provide superior health care leading to the best possible outcome for every patient. We exceed our patients' high expectations for service each day. We also help advance medicine through research and the education of tomorrow's health care leaders
We care for our patients with compassion and openness, unsurpassed expertise, a drive for continuous learning improvement, and with respect, caring, teamwork, excellence and commitment to doing our personal best.
Join our team and our mission of excellence by applying today!
How To Apply
Please apply directly online at http://www.lahey.org/careers. Use the Job ID number to quickly locate the appropriate job listing. Once you have located the desired job, click on the checkbox in the 'Select' column, and then click the 'Apply Now' button, located at the bottom of the screen. Please note you are only able to select 5 jobs at a time.
Lahey Colleagues please apply directly through Colleague Connection using your MR1 Login and Password.
Lahey Clinic is committed to equal opportunity. We recruit, hire, train and promote without discrimination due to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, marital status, age, disability, citizenship, veteran status, or any other protected job status. Lahey Clinic provides equal employment opportunities to minorities, females, veterans, and disabled individuals, as well as other protected groups.