1) Use the computerized system to schedule/cancel, acknowledge or reschedule patient appointments with patients. Makes edit and updates in computer system as appropriate, inputs patient information into patient database at the time of encounter. Takes appropriate steps to insure that no duplicate clinic numbers are created.
2) Encounters patients/visitors at the front desk upon arrival using a professional, courteous, helpful manner 100% of the time. If there is a line at the front desk or if the secretary is assisting another patient, either on the telephone or in person, patients should always be acknowledged with a greeting upon arrival or within 10 seconds of arriving a the front desk
3) Verifies patient information (demographics, insurance status, telephone number) in computer and provides patients with appropriate forms to complete. Always obtains a copy of insurance card for all new patients or those with insurance changes.
4) Registers the patient in the Clinic IDX system per established guidelines with 100% accuracy.
5) Collects accurate co-pay in accordance with established cash handling procedures and Clinic guidelines.
6) Prepare, print and/or review encounter forms and make corrections as authorized to insure appropriate diagnoses and accurate and complete insurance information. Pull, prepare and print encounter forms for the same day appointments within time frame as established by the Practice. Sort and batch encounter forms for coding.
7) Schedules patient appointments for initial/follow-up office visits and internal ancillary tests using in-house computer system. Schedules ancillary tests or services at outside facilities. Completes paperwork for ancillary tests accurately and completely (i.e. mammography, MRI etc.) and sends to appropriate facility the same day the test is scheduled or the request is made. STAT tests must be booked while the patient is in the office and faxed to the facility/department on-half hour prior to the patient?s appointment. If a referral is needed for managed care patients for same day STAT ancillary tests, referral must be generated immediately by Secretary, signed off by Provider and given to patient with instructions while patient is in the office, per established guidelines.
8) Answers incoming calls with prompt, courteous manner using established greeting 100% of the time. With every call, obtains caller?s full name, date of birth, current telephone number and nature of call. Returns call or routes to appropriate person with in appropriate time frame as established by the Practice. Retrieves calls from site voicemail or answering service. Returns or routes call per guidelines.
9) At end of session, identifies no-show appointments, reconciles co-pays and prepares deposit/cash reconciliation sheet as directed by manager or supervisor. All information is accurate 100% of the time.
10) Calls in prescriptions to pharmacy per written instructions from physician or allied health professional.
11) As directed by Manager or Supervisor, creates new patient charts, pulls records for providers daily schedule. Insures all ad-on charts are pulled prior to visit. Files notes into medical records as assigned, with 100% accuracy. May copy and release medical record information to patient, lawyers or insurers per established protocol.
12) Orders durable medical equipment as requested by Provider.
13) May work one on one with Physician to provide administrative support. Initiates outgoing calls as requested (ie. contact Visiting Nurse Association, Specialist) and connects with Physician. Calls back normal test results as directed by Physician. Sends notice card within 48 hours when unable to reach patient.
14) Assists nursing staff with patient forms (ie. School/camp forms, welfare/Medicaid forms)
15) Locates any diagnostic test results for Provider within time defined by Provider.
16) Incorporates Lahey Clinic Guiding Principles , Mission Statement and Goals into daily activities.
17) Complies with all Lahey Clinic Policies.
18) Complies with behavioral expectations of the department and Lahey Clinic.
19) Maintains courteous and effective interactions with colleagues and patients.
20) Demonstrates an understanding of the job description, performance expectations, and competency assessment.
21) Demonstrates a commitment toward meeting and exceeding the needs of our customers and consistently adheres to Customer Service standards.
22) Participates in departmental and/or interdepartmental quality improvement activities.
23) Participates in and successfully completes Mandatory Education.
24) Performs all other duties as needed or directed to meet the needs of the department.
Education: High School diploma or equivalent. Completion of a medical secretarial program or equivalent education and experience.
Licensure, Certification, Registration:
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities: Excellent communication skills required to interact with patients and visitors.
Experience: Six months computer experience. One year clerical or clinical experience working in a physician office or health care facility or three years working in a customer service capacity in a non-healthcare environment.
About Lahey Clinic
At Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, as one of the world's premier health care organizations, we provide superior health care leading to the best possible outcome for every patient. We exceed our patients' high expectations for service each day. We also help advance medicine through research and the education of tomorrow's health care leaders
We care for our patients with compassion and openness, unsurpassed expertise, a drive for continuous learning improvement, and with respect, caring, teamwork, excellence and commitment to doing our personal best.
Join our team and our mission of excellence by applying today!
How To Apply
Please apply directly online at http://www.lahey.org/careers. Use the Job ID number to quickly locate the appropriate job listing. Once you have located the desired job, click on the checkbox in the 'Select' column, and then click the 'Apply Now' button, located at the bottom of the screen. Please note you are only able to select 5 jobs at a time.
Lahey Colleagues please apply directly through Colleague Connection using your MR1 Login and Password.