Search Our Jobs
Reading SpecialistJob ID 146482 Date posted 04/25/2018
The Reading Specialist provides student and staff assistance for students who are reading below grade level in order to increase their ability to access curriculum. The reading specialist works with students individually or in small groups by providing appropriate reading interventions and strategies developmentally appropriate to the student(s) and consistent with common core standards.
1. Use instructional strategies and techniques for facilitating the integration of individuals with reading and other literacy needs into various settings.
2. Prepare and organize materials to support teaching and learning of reading.
3. Use strategies that promote students? independence for reading.
4. Reinforce reading, writing, and other such skills presented by the teacher in small groups or in one-on-one settings.
5. Assist students to use reading strategies.
6. Assist in the review and evaluation of students? work.
7. Assist in the potential identification of students with reading difficulties.
8. Carry out assessment activities to collect and document objective information about the students? strengths and needs.
9. Understand basic instructional strategies and techniques for facilitating the integration of individuals with behavior and life management needs into various settings.
10. Understand the variety of developmentally appropriate materials and equipment, including assistive technology, to support students? learning and/or life skills.
11. Communicate regularly with teachers, students, and other appropriate staff members on student progress.
12. Be a resource to teachers as they strive to integrate reading challenged students into their classroom activities.
1. Bachelor?s Degree in Education or other related field preferred or academic equivalence in a related job with a minimum of 5 years? experience
2. Prior classroom teaching experience preferred
3. MA Certification or eligibility for certification as determined within 90 calendar days from date of hire
Must demonstrate ability to relate to youth with a diverse culture, backgrounds and needs in a sensitive manner; an interest and willingness to work in a multicultural setting and must share a customer service orientation. Manages difficult or emotional situations; responds promptly to youth needs.
Computer literate in standard desktop applications such as Windows, Word, and Excel.
20 hours, part-time.
Must possess mobility to work in a standard office setting and to use standard office equipment, including a computer, and to attend meetings at various sites; strength to lift and carry materials weighing up to 10 pounds; vision to read printed materials and a computer screen; and hearing and speech to communicate in person and over the telephone.