Search Our Jobs
Residential Counselor, Youth Residential - 40 hoursJob ID 147113 Date posted 04/22/2018
The Residential Counselor is responsible for assisting in the coordination of youth services and providing trauma informed treatment and care to youth. The position provides quality youth care and close intensive supervision of youth in a 24 hour milieu setting. Implements treatment protocols established by a multi-disciplinary team. In addition, this position is responsible for providing a range of residential counseling and skills training services to youth and their families, tracking and reporting on resident's treatment progress and providing coaching and mentoring within the milieu to all youth.
1. Provides a nurturing environment and close, intensive supervision and security for all youth in the residential treatment program. Maintains a physically safe environment and always cognizant of ratio requirements.
2. Assures youth's basic needs are met ensuring high standards for nutrition, exercise, and overall wellness for all youth.
3. Teaches healthy living skills and conducts recreational and social activities enhancing skill acquisition.
4. Monitors activities and whereabouts of youth and assures that youths' daily schedule is followed.
5. Trained in medication administration according to the policies and procedures set forth by the organization.
6. Notify Nurse on-call or administrator on-call for support to report any medical or milieu issues that arise.
7. Utilizes therapeutic crisis intervention techniques appropriately with youth through clear, specific, timely and respectful feedback. Models healthy interactions and respectful communication with youth.
8. Effectively communicates behavior choices to youth, outlining the positive and negative consequences of their choices.
9. Communication is adjusted to meet the youth's developmental level and style of communication. Relates to youth objectively and fairly, giving consideration to the youth's individual needs.
10. Works collaboratively with staff and youth to model and coach the tenants of Sanctuary, such as the SELF and the Seven Commitments. Residential Counselors are considered an integral part of the core team for Sanctuary activities in the residential setting.
11. Completes all youth reports, plans and records in a timely manner in accordance with program procedures and funding contract standards. Completed all incident reports and life skills interviews as required.
12. Responsible for maintaining all training requirements/certifications. Examples include, but not limited to, Sanctuary, TCI, Boundaries, CPR, First Aid etc.
13. Participates and prepares appropriate documentation for all meeting and case reviews as required.
14. Works collaboratively within a team of co-workers; maintains communication with co-workers throughout shift and across shifts, keeping them apprised of therapeutic issues. Consults with team and follows through with recommendations.
15. Completes all documentation as required regarding contract specifications.
16. Attends supervision and integrates feedback into work performance.
17. Reads, understands and follows all policies and protocols in an effort to provide youth with appropriate and required care.
18. Participates in on-call duties/requirements.
19. As needed, cover shifts in other programs within the youth division.
20. Other related duties as assigned.
High school diploma required. Associate's or Bachelor's preferred but not required. Must be at least 21 years of age. Experience working with culturally diverse youths preferred.
Must demonstrate ability to relate and desire work with a diverse adolescent population in a sensitive manner, an interest and willingness to work in a multicultural setting and must share a customer service orientation. Manages difficult or emotional situations; responds promptly to youth needs. Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming and maintains confidentiality.
Must have possession of current driver's license, access to a vehicle and personal automobile insurance.
Computer literate in standard desktop applications such as Windows, Word, and Excel.
Full time, 40 hours per week,
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and talk or hear. The
employee frequently is required to walk. The employee is occasionally required to stand and sit. The
employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.